Adams Golf Purchases Yes! Putters

Great pickup for Adams.

Do people believe that the perception of Yes! has been tarnished with the news as of late? Or do you think the general public has not really heard much to worry about it?

I don't think it will affect perception much. Just as many of the average golfers don't know Puma bought Cobra. I think Adams will have to cut down on model offerings and market them at good price (150 range). I'm curious to see if they will keep the Yes! name or rebrand it as Adams.

Do people believe that the perception of Yes! has been tarnished with the news as of late? Or do you think the general public has not really heard much to worry about it?

Tough to say, but I don't think the general public knows much about the whole thing. Then again, does the general public even know who/what Yes! putters are?

I would keep the YES! name and build it similar to Odyssey. Make a quality product in the 150-200 range and when you get the name more established you can go up market some. Maybe add a wedge line to it and have someone playing both with the staff bag etc and get some tour presence.

I may be in the minority but I'm not sure I see this really doing anything for either brand. When I think Adams Golf I don't think putter and even with a quality putter like YES!, I'm still not going too. I'm not sure it will even matter to the average golfer. I'm probably wrong but I just don't see it strengthening either brand.

I may be in the minority but I'm not sure I see this really doing anything for either brand. When I think Adams Golf I don't think putter and even with a quality putter like YES!, I'm still not going too. I'm not sure it will even matter to the average golfer. I'm probably wrong but I just don't see it strengthening either brand.

I have some doubts as well, Yoccos. Hopefully they can make some money of the inventory.

Adams makes great value products. Looking forward to them incorporating the C-Grooves into their putters.

Adams makes great value products. Looking forward to them incorporating the C-Grooves into their putters.

Like $300+ fairway woods. Adams doesn't make cheap or budget stuff. Their equipment is top notch and deserves more attention than what it gets.

Like $300+ fairway woods. Adams doesn't make cheap or budget stuff. Their equipment is top notch and deserves more attention than what it gets.

I like their gear and have played it. I think they are underrated at times.

How were the sales numbers for Yes! putters, JB? Did they see any drastic changes over the last couple years?

I like their gear and have played it. I think they are underrated at times.

How were the sales numbers for Yes! putters, JB? Did they see any drastic changes over the last couple years?

Not sure really. They dont really hold a large piece of the marketshare if that is what you mean. I was talking this over with a friend of mine this morning. He brought up a good point. "Regardless of C-Groove working or not, it seems as though every company or most companies have some sort of groove faced putter now, so what makes a guy gravitate towards Yes!"

I kind of agree with him. If one wants a groove faced putter, or a putter that promises more forward roll, there are countless options now and the innovation kind of wore off.

I kind of agree with him. If one wants a groove faced putter, or a putter that promises more forward roll, there are countless options now and the innovation kind of wore off.

And many of them are under the price point of Yes! Putters. At least Yes! improves on Adams' current putter line up.

I think they can make something of this. I'm sure there is technology for a grooved insert etc. Odyssey was about inserts for years and they have some non insert offerings. it is all marketing. Sign Furyk to a deal. The grip instantly tells you it is a YES!.

I just don't see this ending up great for either company. I think Yes! will continue to struggle for sales and I think Adams won't get much out of the deal other than the inventory (which I think they'll have to discount to move). Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think either company will ever be a big player in the putter market. Then again, maybe that's not what they want anyway. Maybe they are just looking to have a brand out there that can do modest sales.

I have never used a Yes putter. I have used some Adams hybrids and have been very pleased. I guess i don't understand what they are try to gain here.

I just don't see this ending up great for either company. I think Yes! will continue to struggle for sales and I think Adams won't get much out of the deal other than the inventory (which I think they'll have to discount to move). Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think either company will ever be a big player in the putter market. Then again, maybe that's not what they want anyway. Maybe they are just looking to have a brand out there that can do modest sales.

All the ip for a paltry 1.5 million is a solid pickup. It broadens their product line and increases the overall value of their stock.

All the ip for a paltry 1.5 million is a solid pickup. It broadens their product line and increases the overall value of their stock.

I suppose I wasn't thinking beyond inventory, which is a bit short sighted. I guess they are going to get everything that goes along with it as well, ie production equipment, distribution channels, etc. I don't necessarily think its a loser deal, just that I don't see it being too huge of a deal in the future.

Plus they really don't need to add reps as their current ones will rep the product. Adams aslo has much more leverage to get the product into stores. And it give them a presence in the putter market. for 1.5 mil it is a steal.

I suppose I wasn't thinking beyond inventory, which is a bit short sighted. I guess they are going to get everything that goes along with it as well, ie production equipment, distribution channels, etc. I don't necessarily think its a loser deal, just that I don't see it being too huge of a deal in the future.

For 1.5 million I doubt that they picked up any production equipment / factories. Most likely the company is nothing more than an office building that owns some dies and all the manufacturing is done China. They probably did pick up a decent amount of inventory but I am willing to bet that they will liquidate a ton of it before slimming down the line considerably before rebadging the line so that they can try and compete with the other big names with complete lines.

Either way, I wish them the best. I know that Yes! has some big fans out there. Hopefully they can enjoy the spoils of this purchase somehow.

For 1.5 million I doubt that they picked up any production equipment / factories. Most likely the company is nothing more than an office building that owns some dies and all the manufacturing is done China. They probably did pick up a decent amount of inventory but I am willing to bet that they will liquidate a ton of it before slimming down the line considerably before rebadging the line so that they can try and compete with the other big names with complete lines.

That is correct. Yes! recevied its inventory from 3 manufacturers in China. Adams did pick up a decent amount of inventory. They picked up inventory in Denver (valued in December at $1.1 million) and inventory in China (valued in December at $1.2 million). The China inventory consisted of approximately 20,000 putters. However, the invoices for those putter in China had not been paid. So, if Adams purchased the rights to the China inventory, Adams took those putters in China subject to the invoice costs. Adams also purchased the accounts receivable, which was valued at about $200k in December.

They did pick up office furniture and equipment, but it was fairly minor in comparison. But, for display purposes, they would have picked up certain presentation items that would be useful for the PGA show, etc.

But, the biggest thing that was purchased (as has been noted), is all the intangibles. This includes trademarks, trade names, engineering of the products, plans for improvements of the products, the specifications and, of course, the patents. These were valued at $1.5 million in December.

I liked their A7 line putters and they retailed for $70.

I love adams clubs. I might get their irons next. I like the looks of some of the Yes! putters, but have only tried one or two. I'll have to look into a couple more.

I liked their A7 line putters and they retailed for $70.

I thought that they were a little squishy. But I rolled them once. I just think that Adams needs to do something to get the price of the Yes! down and away from $300.

Back