GMac Accused of Rules Violation by TV Viewer

I'm all for fair play, rules enforcement, and even the archaic rules of golf (even if I agree with Jack the whole book needs to be addressed) but what I'm not for is arm chair barcalounging rules officials. Unless they are on the clock, working the tourney, that even goes for off duty rules guys/gals watching at home. Maybe what the tours need to do is have a guy/gal sitting in the broadcast truck watching the monitors if they want to make sure they don't miss anything.

I saw that, thanks MaryC and SethO. I'm watching Jhonattan Vegas and Boo Weekley close at this point, they are killin my fantasy team, lol.

This has to end. Every time this crap hits the fan the tour looks stupid and the sport is marred. It's just not right. (I wonder if these guy's calling in are wearing striped shirts and blowing a whistle before the call).

I saw that, thanks MaryC and SethO. I'm watching Jhonattan Vegas and Boo Weekley close at this point, they are killin my fantasy team, lol.

This has to end. Every time this crap hits the fan the tour looks stupid and the sport is marred. It's just not right. (I wonder if these guy's calling in are wearing striped shirts and blowing a whistle before the call).

You bring up an interesting point Duey. What if I scrutinized every little move of someone who was helping me lose a fantasy league? You run into a situation where the bookies can legally help influence the outcome of a tourney. That is very bad for the tour IMO.

There is no other professional sport or amateur sport for that matter where anyone can call in from anywhere and report a violation, and certainly not after the fact as in Camillo's case. Violations of the rules are the responsibility of the officials or the other players to point out, not spectators.

What rule of golf exactly is it that specifically grants permission to anyone who feels like it to call in violations?

The argument against it is always "Well they only penalize players for the right call, meaning if someone calls in wrong, it does not affect the outcome". But it has gotten out of hand. I agree that the right call has to be made every time, but just have officials make those calls and watch the feed.

Wouldnt this be solved by the tour having extra officials watching the broadcast so they catch this stuff and report it before the viewer? Doesnt seem too hard to do

You bring up an interesting point Duey. What if I scrutinized every little move of someone who was helping me lose a fantasy league? You run into a situation where the bookies can legally help influence the outcome of a tourney. That is very bad for the tour IMO.

I honestly never thought of the bookie angle, but your absolutely right. I just see this as diminishing the integrity they work so hard to protect.

*buys beer*

"Thank you for your call, but we have a team of highly trained officials watching this tournament and they are the parties responsible for spotting violations and acting upon them. Please press one to be disconnected from this call."

If Gmac wanted to cheat wouldn't he just use his chubby leprechaun magic? (thanks coolbreeze, it still makes me laugh) :D

I posted a link to an article in the Villegas thread where the VP of Rules said that they either have or used to have officials in the broadcast booth. It sounded more like they used to have but it wasn't worth the time (don't know how it couldn't be).

Wouldnt this be solved by the tour having extra officials watching the broadcast so they catch this stuff and report it before the viewer? Doesnt seem too hard to do
Yep, this sounds like a solid idea to me. If someone did call something in then they could say it had already been reviewed and... thanks for the tip.

This is totally outrageous. Like c'mon. This has to be stopped, overwise it will only get worse.

"Thank you for your call, but we have a team of highly trained officials watching this tournament and they are the parties responsible for spotting violations and acting upon them. Please press one to be redirected to a shrink so maybe you can find a life and not bother us with your need to interfere where you are not welcome."

FIFY mate.

I wonder if these guy's calling in are wearing striped shirts and blowing a whistle before the call.

Can't help but laugh at that!!

It's true though. As frustrating as it may be from time to time watching soccer, when no one can challenge the ref/linesman's call, the saving grace is that once the game has continued, any chance to call out the players has passed. This also should be the case in golf; if he's not called out on it by, say, the end of the hole, too bad. There's such an emphasis on the "gentleman's game" aspect with all these ridiculous rulings that it's really making a farce out of the game.

And I think G-Mac, Camillo and Dustin might agree with me.

What is the number anyway?

It seems like a great opportunity to attract viewers if you let em believe they will have a chance to call in a penalty. Could use a # like american idol and charge the caller a buck for voting, then let them leave their message.

It seems like a great opportunity to attract viewers if you let em believe they will have a chance to call in a penalty. Could use a # like american idol and charge the caller a buck for voting, then let them leave their message.

This certainly sounds like an interesting propisition, but the Tour would lose all credibility with me if they ever did something like that.

This certainly sounds like an interesting propisition, but the Tour would lose all credibility with me if they ever did something like that.
Yeah it'd be a circus, I'm just making fun out of an awkward position the pga is in.

Back