You mention paint RatFink , I have been an Automotive Paint Refinish Tech for 32 years now and 5 years ago I did all the body and paint work on my buddies 65 SS Chevelle ( Victory Red w/ Black SS stripes & Has a Blown 454 ) , about a 15-20K paint job . I had him buy the paint it was $8500.00 just for color and clear :D
I painted my other buddies T-Bucket and the color he picked out was $1000.00 just for the color .

I was building a 37 Ford Tudoor Humpback Sedan and had 25K in just the rolling chassis , had all the body work done , but run out of funds as it was going to take another 25K for me to finish it so I sold it 3 years ago :(

I have been shooting WaterBorne for the past year and its the wave of the future .

Interesting thread .
http://homepage.mac.com/dwilliams53/My%20Website/index.html

Well doggonit, if you were in Calgary, we'd come to you! Guys up here are quoting $20k+ for bodywork + paint.
HOpefully we find one for <$12k

Those jobs were for friends and I never charged a cent ..... but I am compensated for having such good friends , as they helped me tear down 400 ft of 6 foot privacy fence and build another one in 110 degree heat ..... LOL

When my other friend gets his shop set up I have to do his 68 GTO that hes had since high school :D

$8500 just for the paint in a can! Holy ****. I paid $420 for my gallon of Sikkens 15 years ago.

Question: Does modifying your exhaust cause your car to lose HP? There's a "golf tee mod" that you can do on my car (it opens up the other exhaust all the way instead of just at higher RPMs) that makes the car have more of a rumble since both exhausts will be open all the time, but I've heard that it loses about 10HP or so. So was just wondering :confused2:

Question: Does modifying your exhaust cause your car to lose HP? There's a "golf tee mod" that you can do on my car (it opens up the other exhaust all the way instead of just at higher RPMs) that makes the car have more of a rumble since both exhausts will be open all the time, but I've heard that it loses about 10HP or so. So was just wondering :confused2:

I thought you were a member on one of the BMW forums GC? Those guys would know more about the 335 than anyone here.

From what you're saying I'm suspecting that modding your stock exhaust might result in loss of backpressure, which if I understand correctly will result in loss of horsepower but a bump in torque. Then again, I'm not a gearhead like some other members.

I thought you were a member on one of the BMW forums GC? Those guys would know more about the 335 than anyone here.

From what you're saying I'm suspecting that modding your stock exhaust might result in loss of backpressure, which if I understand correctly will result in loss of horsepower but a bump in torque. Then again, I'm not a gearhead like some other members.

Eh, I haven't visited bimmerfest in a while, those people have their own agenda :D

Buddy did this. Loss in HP is negligable. He DID use a golf tee. because you'll be propping open an Exhaust Cover Flap with it and I suppose if it came loose you'ld rather have a little pices of wood rather than a piece of steel rattling around inside your engine. Complete how to on Bimmerfest and yea they're pretty snooty over there. Read the site a lot but didn't find the crowd worth joining.

Buddy did this. Loss in HP is negligable. He DID use a golf tee. because you'll be propping open an Exhaust Cover Flap with it and I suppose if it came loose you'ld rather have a little pices of wood rather than a piece of steel rattling around inside your engine. Complete how to on Bimmerfest and yea they're pretty snooty over there. Read the site a lot but didn't find the crowd worth joining.

Its a guy site mostly and I don't even post anymore on there. And its always the same topics: 328 vs 335, RFTs, etc. I actually was thinking of doing the mod for the "more rumble" factor, LOL, but its not worth it if I'll lose HP. The best thing is, its a reversible mod :good: The only things I've done was to add the M3 lip on my trunk, debadged it, installed the alarm, and that's about it. I'd like to lower it just a hair since the wheel well gaps are huge in the front. And once its time for me to get new tires, I'll definitely be getting regular tires and be done with the run flats!

Its a guy site mostly and I don't even post anymore on there. And its always the same topics: 328 vs 335, RFTs, etc. I actually was thinking of doing the mod for the "more rumble" factor, LOL, but its not worth it if I'll lose HP. The best thing is, its a reversible mod :good: The only things I've done was to add the M3 lip on my trunk, debadged it, installed the alarm, and that's about it. I'd like to lower it just a hair since the wheel well gaps are huge in the front. And once its time for me to get new tires, I'll definitely be getting regular tires and be done with the run flats!

Don't even worry about the HP loss.
The Z06 crowd does this all the time with their butterfly valves [pulling a fuse instead of inserting a golf tee].

+1 For being correct about that site
+1 for the de-badgeing. BMW tends to go a little crazy. I feel BMW is just like Porche. People know you're driving a BMW by just looking at it. I don't need to walk around to the back to see the 20 logo's stapled all over it.
+1 the 335 (heck all BMW's) look great lowered below stock. (Tint and some 18-20" rims and you're set)
+1 screw run flats. my buddy calls them "run right off the roads"

+1 For being correct about that site
+1 the 335 (heck all BMW's) look great lowered below stock. (Tint and some 18-20" rims and you're set)
+1 screw run flats. my buddy calls them "run right off the roads"

I'm running on 19s and have 25% tint on the car :D

Don't even worry about the HP loss.
The Z06 crowd does this all the time with their butterfly valves [pulling a fuse instead of inserting a golf tee].

Well, since its reversible, I'll have to try it :wink: Why don't they just leave both exhausts open all the time? :confused2:

If it were me GC , I would buy a Borla cat-back exhaust system for your bimmer , better HP ,fuel economy , & sounds good , plus its stainless steel ( wont rust away ) .

Well, since its reversible, I'll have to try it :wink: Why don't they just leave both exhausts open all the time? :confused2:

Because it's not optimal, and the German's just don't do Non-Optimal

Part of it might have to do with cold weather running. I know some cars have a cross over and it would be closed during the car's warm up period to speed things up.

If it were me GC , I would buy a Borla cat-back exhaust system for your bimmer , better HP ,fuel economy , & sounds good , plus its stainless steel ( wont rust away ) .

Whooo...I will have to check this out!!

I was also thinking of getting a JB3 for it too (but I think 300HP is just enough :wink: for around here) also something else that I just can't remember now :confused2:

Whooo...I will have to check this out!!

I was also thinking of getting a JB3 for it too (but I think 300HP is just enough :wink: for around here) also something else that I just can't remember now :confused2:

300hp IS enough. But you're not getting the full 300 hp when you want it. The JB3 gives you what you already have but weren't alowwed to use before. However do you really need 300 hp just going down the street to the store?

"VROOOOM"
"relax, we're just going cross the street to get some cigs...."
"VROOOOM"
"No, we're not driving to Vegas in 2 hours"
"VROOOOOM"
"How did we get to vegas?..."

300hp IS enough. But you're not getting the full 300 hp when you want it. The JB3 gives you what you already have but weren't alowwed to use before. However do you really need 300 hp just going down the street to the store?

"VROOOOM"
"relax, we're just going cross the street to get some cigs...."
"VROOOOM"
"No, we're not driving to Vegas in 2 hours"
"VROOOOOM"
"How did we get to vegas?..."

haa haa haa :D

My friend has a 335. Holy dear that thing rips!

Whoooo....and getting a Dinan would be nice :drool: A friend had a Dinan M5, that thing was a beast!! Luckily, Dinan warranty piggy backs off of the current BMW warranty, so its covered :good:

I second the aftermarket exhaust. There are a bunch of different exaust systems out there for Bimmers. I used to have a Borla exaust which did sound very nice when buzzing around town. It got a little old on multi-hour trips where it would drone around 65-75 MPH. The solution would be drive faster then 75. then the drone would go away.

By the way, 335 is a nice car. Until my kids and their friends get a little older, my Passat 2.0T will be my daily driver and "fun" car. My third garage is full of bikes, big wheels, scooters, Power Wheels Hummers and 4 wheelers. I figure I have at least a few years to go before I can have a real "fun" car.

I monkey with cars a bit. If I have something long enough I get bored. My Passat has been lowered with Eibach ProSystem suspension (much smaller gaps and much less body roll), APR ECU mod and right now winter tires on the stock 17's. Summer gets the summer tires and 18's. Roads are too rough in the midwest to go with much lower profile tires and rims IMO.

Didn't realize the car people here on THP. Thought you might like a quick read (and LAUGH) about the Nissan Gt-R ,which is an absolute beast, and it's f@cked up Launch control

http://jalopnik.com/5738918/how-to-use-the-2012-nissan-gt+rs-new-launch-control

Basically you can go from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and you can shave that down to 3 seconds flat using the car's launch control. However if you use launch control 4 times it shuts off and there are reports of it not turning back on. Imagine spending all that money and you can only show it off 4 times.

"I'm sorry I'ld like to show you how fast it goes, but i got a big date tomorrow.........."

ah the GT-R, I would still have one in a heartbeat!

I've got a thing for the Japanese cars, and Hondas in particular. Had about 10 of the things, currently on a DC5 Integra Type-R, which is nippy and economical enough for me to drive to work and back.

Back