Pulling a shaft with boiling water?

TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
I read somewhere that you could pull a graphite shaft safely with no tools by keeping it in boiling water for about 15 minutes. No so easy with a normal head since you would need a big pot.

But lets say you had a shaft with an adapter on it that you wanted to remove. 15 minutes in boiling water and then pull it straight off with no damage to shaft or adapter? Does that work well or is it just crazy talk?

Could it be done? Yes. Would I advise it? No. When pulling graphite shafts you really want to use as little heat as necessary just to loosen the epoxy.

Club-making epoxies typically have melt temperatures that are very close to those of the resins used in the graphite shaft.
Therefore any shaft removal should be done with the minimum of heat.
For an adaptor, the water method could be possible if you are just immersing the adaptor.

For removal of Str8-Fit shaft adaptors, I heat the adaptor over a micro-torch flame (going 30 seconds at a time), grip and hold the adaptor in a wooden workbench and pull. If it isn't ready, just keep repeating the 30 seconds - pull cycle.
The work-bench means that I can grip the adaptor without damaging it, and leave both hands free to pull the shaft carefully and strictly in a lateral (pull, no side-to-side flex) direction.

I've only pulled iron shafts. My experience has been the heating is not too difficult, where it gets tricky is pulling the shaft quickly, smoothly, and completely. I don't think I'd have much luck trying to get the hosel to >*250 by boiling method, get it on the bench and pull it before it cooled.

Last edited:
Could it be done? Yes. Would I advise it? No. When pulling graphite shafts you really want to use as little heat as necessary just to loosen the epoxy.

I agree. I've pulled lots of shafts but never with hot water. I use a blower type heat gun for graphite and have never had any issues.

I agree. I've pulled lots of shafts but never with hot water. I use a blower type heat gun for graphite and have never had any issues.

Did you use a shaft puller or remove by vise and hand? Also have you pulled an adaptor by using the heat gun?

I used a heat gun and a shaft extractor to remove my STR8-fit tip. Had no issues what so ever. I prefer to pull graphite with the heat gun and use a torch for steel. That is just me.

I used a heat gun and a shaft extractor to remove my STR8-fit tip. Had no issues what so ever. I prefer to pull graphite with the heat gun and use a torch for steel. That is just me.

Andy-when you say heat gun, do you mean like a hair dryer or is there something else?

Andy-when you say heat gun, do you mean like a hair dryer or is there something else?

TC -- The heat gun I have is one like you would buy at Lowe's, Ace, etc. Now I don't have a shaft extractor however I would imagine you could find one on ebay.

heat guns can be found for fairly inexpensive @ lowes. Check the painting department.

TC -- The heat gun I have is one like you would buy at Lowe's, Ace, etc. Now I don't have a shaft extractor however I would imagine you could find one on ebay.

Well, a shaft puller pretty much uses hydrolics, I wonder if I could rig something up with a bottle jack?

I bet you could with your handy man expertise. Once the glue is melted it should not take a lot of effort to pull it off.

I bet you could with your handy man expertise. Once the glue is melted it should not take a lot of effort to pull it off.

that's what I'm seeing. When I visited THP HQ, JB showed us how easy it was to remove an iron head with some head and a shaft puller. It could become an expensive hobby though.

that's what I'm seeing. When I visited THP HQ, JB showed us how easy it was to remove an iron head with some head and a shaft puller. It could become an expensive hobby though.

yea but cheaper than taking your clubs to the local golf outlet. Maybe time for a little birthday present (shaft puller) from the family :D

yea but cheaper than taking your clubs to the local golf outlet. Maybe time for a little birthday present (shaft puller) from the family :D

It's a ways off from my bday buddy. Maybe one day.

You don't even need that shaft pulled if you're only pulling steel iron shafts. Only an oven mitt and a torch.

You don't even need that shaft pulled if you're only pulling steel iron shafts. Only an oven mitt and a torch.

True that bro, but that's not near as cool as having the proper gear.

Agreed, but it's a lot cheaper and IMO easier. I was looking at getting one to use for graphite but with easily replaceable shafts à la R9 coming out, I just may wait to see if the trend continues.

True that bro, but that's not near as cool as having the proper gear.

I'm still thinking about getting one of the shaft extractors too. I'm thinking about reshafting my wedges myself.

Sounds like you need the right equipment. I have a Motore F3 with a ZL adapter on it. Launches and spins way too much on the ZL, but it's a great feeling shaft. I think it would work great on my L5V or maybe even the new Ft-iz, but I don't have a heat gun or a puller. Best to wait till I can get it to a pro I guess.

I read somewhere that you could pull a graphite shaft safely with no tools by keeping it in boiling water for about 15 minutes. No so easy with a normal head since you would need a big pot.

But lets say you had a shaft with an adapter on it that you wanted to remove. 15 minutes in boiling water and then pull it straight off with no damage to shaft or adapter? Does that work well or is it just crazy talk?

I have pulled many heads using a fry daddy at 300 degrees full of sand just enough to cover the head. I have forgotten about them for 30 minutes and still no damage to the paint on the head. don't fill it up to the shaft it will break down the fibers.

I have pulled many heads using a fry daddy at 300 degrees full of sand just enough to cover the head. I have forgotten about them for 30 minutes and still no damage to the paint on the head. don't fill it up to the shaft it will break down the fibers.

any chance you could video that next time?

Will a heat gun get an iron hosel hot enough to melt the epoxy? I like the idea of having one for graphite shaft pulling, but curious if it can be used for anything else from a golf standpoint.

Will a heat gun get an iron hosel hot enough to melt the epoxy? I like the idea of having one for graphite shaft pulling, but curious if it can be used for anything else from a golf standpoint.

Heat gun works well, it just takes a bit more time to heat up the hosel than a torch.

Back