Another call in resulting in DQ!

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
Padraig Harrington has been DQ'd from the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship after a TV viewer called in after seeing his golf ball rotate slightly after he marked it on the green. Padraig had a great round of -7 65 and was in 2nd place after 1 round. He is now DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard.

Here is a link to a story with more details.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jan/21/padraig-harrington-abu-dhabi-championship

This is getting out of control.

uh oh, this is starting to make me wonder though. If tv viewers are catching this stuff, how much stuff is going unnoticed=not carded?

A dimple and a half difference?That will really help on those 30 footers!(sarcasm) But I guess a rule is a rule.Still don't think tv viewers should be allowed to effect a persons score and so his income, but maybe the guys are not beyond fudging a little at times after all.

I've watched this one on tv time and again, and even when I know it's happening, the ball still doesn't look like it's done more than rock back and forward.

Paddy was very matter of fact about the whole thing. You can tell he was annoyed, but he knows the rules are the rules and that's it.

As much as a lot of people disliked the comments, this makes me a little more sympathetic towards Poulter's Twitter rant. This one really was a borderline call. I can't see any advantage being gained here.

Uugh, this is horrible. A dimple and a half? Seriously?

While rules are indeed rules and the DQ is justified I can only imagine what would happen if someone accused another player of this at a local club, a bit more than a "30 minute chat" with a rules official me thinks.

Any video of this egregious infraction?

I wonder what satisfaction these people get from doing this type of thing? Are their lives so pure that they can't stand to see someone break a rule, intentional or not? I wonder if they are calling the NFL offices screaming that there was a holding call that was missed or the NBA offices saying there was a traveling call that went unnoticed.

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

I agree, this is getting out of hand. In my opinion, if PGA does'nt catch it themselves it should'nt be considered by a viewer not even on the course!

It is unfortunate, but once the cats out of the bag the usga, pga has to go by the book. The other players would be in an uproar otherwise. Players just need to pay more attention to the game. If only he had just picked up the ball and put it back it would have been a done deal. I'll bet he won't make the same mistake again, neither will puolter.

I think this devastates Paddys career. Everyone knows he had a terrible year last year, gets off to what appears to be a great start, and whamo! DQ. Come on.

I think this devastates Paddys career. Everyone knows he had a terrible year last year, gets off to what appears to be a great start, and whamo! DQ. Come on.
It'll take more than this to devastate PH. He's got some big wins already and he's Irish. Besides now he can get the heck out of abudabi.

I really don't think that this is devastating, he still has the entire year to go and played a good round yesterday. If he had a Michael Campbell-like decline in his game, that would be devastating.

The people that call in from home...what is the point of that? Are they trying to help the tour, or feel better about themselves by calling in violations? I just don't get it. Also, in this situation, I don't see where Harrington gained any competitive advantage at all. 2 things: as Jack Nicklaus said a few days ago, golf rules need to be simplified going forward. Also, if this situation occurs, it should be a 2-shot penalty added onto the prior day's score, and the player gets to stay in the tournament. I think it's ridiculous to be DQ'ed for an "incorrect scorecard" when a player doesn't know it's a penalty when he signs the scorecard!

None of these infractions have been malicious. It just has to do with the score they are submitting. As with DJ there are rules guys to help them. But with PH whether it be a millimeter or a foot bring it back or add two. They gotta dq bad cards otherwise guys will just claim ignorance.

I really don't think that this is devastating, he still has the entire year to go and played a good round yesterday. If he had a Michael Campbell-like decline in his game, that would be devastating.

The people that call in from home...what is the point of that? Are they trying to help the tour, or feel better about themselves by calling in violations? I just don't get it. Also, in this situation, I don't see where Harrington gained any competitive advantage at all. 2 things: as Jack Nicklaus said a few days ago, golf rules need to be simplified going forward. Also, if this situation occurs, it should be a 2-shot penalty added onto the prior day's score, and the player gets to stay in the tournament. I think it's ridiculous to be DQ'ed for an "incorrect scorecard" when a player doesn't know it's a penalty when he signs the scorecard!

I know that the rules are the rules, but I agree with you and Jack on these issues, at some point the PGA must address some of these rules where the player is penalized this severely when they clearly are unaware an infraction has occured. Kudos to Paddy for his being able to handle himself in a civil manner when this came to his attention. It just seems a little crazy that slowmotion video needs to be used to DQ a player, when if this occured to any of us on the course, we would probably tell our group that the ball appeared to move a little but had returned to its original position and continued the round.
I believe Paddy to truly be an honorable man, and believe his statement to that affect. Truly the PGA need to review and update some of the rules.

This is something that has bothered me since someone called in years ago on Craig Stadler many years ago ( laid a towel down in a mud hole to keep his pants from getting dirty while kneeling down to hit a shot from under a tree = building a stance ) , Its our entertainment not our DUTY to call infractions !
Cameras see much more then our eyes see , to us looking down on the ball , we may just see it rock from 3 feet from a squat while marking our ball ( or even when standing and addressing your ball thats almost 5-6 feet ) , but at ground level close up of a camera it may show a different deal , our eyes are not that focused IMO to see such little nuances , or an opponent from across the green never seen it move .
Maybe the camera coverage should just show shots from afar like years ago , not up close and personal .
I think the guys are pretty good on calling a rules infraction on themselves .

Since this is affecting the Players, I think the players need to do something about it. Get together and boycott a major unless the PGA addresses this problem. These DQ's are bad for the players, bad for the game and bad for fans

I started another thread for opinions, since there have been a couple of threads on the individual cases already.

It's certainly a can of worms.

This is going to make rounds even slower and make players overthink about rules than actually playing the game. You think some players are slow.... stupid stuff like this is going to make it even worse now. Your going to have players that doubt themselves and start thinking they see the ball move and things like that. No other sports lets public call in to question something they think they saw. This is getting out of hand!

Last edited:

He's going into the HOF. Not sure how this can devastate his career

I wonder if they are calling the NFL offices screaming that there was a holding call that was missed or the NBA offices saying there was a traveling call that went unnoticed.

Calling the NBA about missed traveling calls would take too long. People would run out of cell phone minutes just by watching the Heat.

Kudos to Paddy for taking this like a gentleman, though I think somebody on Tour should stand up like Lefty did during the Eye 2 fiasco.

To his credit, he acknowledges the importance of the rules of the game, but also made a good point. He said that with the changes in technology, the penalties for these situations need looked at.

This is getting out of hand. If the rules officials dont see it or call it, then it didnt happen. We know most of these guys will call something on their own if its something really bad so stop answering the phone already.

to me, this would kill a lot of my viewing interest in golf
This is something that has bothered me since someone called in years ago on Craig Stadler many years ago ( laid a towel down in a mud hole to keep his pants from getting dirty while kneeling down to hit a shot from under a tree = building a stance ) , Its our entertainment not our DUTY to call infractions !
Cameras see much more then our eyes see , to us looking down on the ball , we may just see it rock from 3 feet from a squat while marking our ball ( or even when standing and addressing your ball thats almost 5-6 feet ) , but at ground level close up of a camera it may show a different deal , our eyes are not that focused IMO to see such little nuances , or an opponent from across the green never seen it move .
Maybe the camera coverage should just show shots from afar like years ago , not up close and personal .
I think the guys are pretty good on calling a rules infraction on themselves .

Who are these nerds calling in anyway? LOSERS! Just go away already so fltc can just watch some golf.

Back