Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I am trying to be strong. Be strong... be strong... be strong!!! ITS NOT WORKING!!!!

Lol I just had it in my cart and I was staring at the screen. Didn't hit the buy button yet but I don't see how I make it through tomorrow. I'm off to bed

I am trying to be strong. Be strong... be strong... be strong!!! ITS NOT WORKING!!!!

Yes, Reading these reviews will do that to you.

Taking mashie out tomorrow if the weather let's me, if not tomorrow, for sure on Saturday. All of you people that currently have mashie's please whisper sweet words to it so maybe it will tell it's brother to be nice to me this time out lol

Having a tough time figuring it out, not sure if it's meant to be. All my other clubs are behaving, but me and mashie aren't seeing eye to eye just yet. Hoping that changes here soon. I'd really love to have it in my bag, it's a perfect fit when I hit it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking mashie out tomorrow if the weather let's me, if not tomorrow, for sure on Saturday. All of you people that currently have mashie's please whisper sweet words to it so maybe it will tell it's brother to be nice to me this time out lol

Having a tough time figuring it out, not sure if it's meant to be. All my other clubs are behaving, but me and mashie aren't seeing eye to eye just yet. Hoping that changes here soon. I'd really love to have it in my bag, it's a perfect fit when I hit it right.

Hang in there Bridges and don't forget to swing easy, I have faith in ya pal!

I am sending you well wishes Bridges...Hang in there, you are the only one testing the M2, and I have pre order one.

I ordered mine... It might or might not be for me, but with the killer reviews here I think its worth taking a shot... Based on Bridges experience, I think I might well need to spend some time with it, so just testing in the store might not be enough.

Well can't multi quote on here but..

P4B- Thanks man, hoping I get it figured out.

Rbrown- Thank you, and I hope it works for you!

Ripper- Ya worth a shot for sure, dont let my review impact whether or not you buy the club because out of everyone that's hit it that I know of, only 2 didn't like it or just could not hit it. So 2 out of 50+ Is good odds in your favor.

I really hope it works out for all of you that bought it, because like I said it's perfect when you hit it right.

I do want to add this, don't get discouraged if you can't hit bullets right off the get go, it may take a little time to get used to like all new clubs. I just think with the mashie and it's great reviews it has received on here people expect to pick it up and start hitting bullets, so if that doesn't happen don't get discouraged just might need a few range sessions to get comfortable with it.

JB....have you had the chance to hit the #1 Mashie yet? I'm curious about the distance compared with what the #2 has been getting coupled with the playability factor of each.

JB....have you had the chance to hit the #1 Mashie yet? I'm curious about the distance compared with what the #2 has been getting coupled with the playability factor of each.

Only a couple of swings. More info as I get out with it more.

Bridges.. you'll be ok dude. Just don't even stress it. Easy to say but I know you can do it.

I took AHA's advice and just started hitting it like a 7i. POW. Right back to hitting great shots. My pull still was there but I'm working on that. Once the confidence was back, I'm really starting to see the same thing TC mentioned. My ball striking overall is improving a lot. I'm not practicing as much as I used too and usually that would mean a decline. But I'm not seeing that at all. I'm swinging within myself and keeping better balance, I'm noticing some good ball strikes from all my clubs because the form carries over.

For some reason, the course was pretty wet yesterday. Lots of muddy areas and the rought was really tough to get out of. I ended up the rough after my first shot lol. About 250 left to the hole. Mashie time. I hardly noticed the rough. It cut through it like a hot knife through butter. I didn't adjust my swing for the rough, didn't come in steeper (had a decent lie) and it was a great shot. I just kept reminding myself it was an iron. I never once pulled anything but a Mashie off the tee until the 10th. It was an executive course but there are a couple long par 3's and a few par 4's mixed in. Perfect course for this club. You have to be pretty accurate and it put me in a lot of good positions.

I used the club like a niblick on a few holes. Golfing with Ddec, Nerfny and WR I saw the shot a few times. Man, it's a nice shot to have in the bag. As easy as the niblick is, I can see times where I would use the Mashie instead. The longer shaft helped me keep my hands ahead (I choked up quite a bit).

I'm finding more and more shots to use each time I'm out. It's easily my go to club right now. I'll be working on choking up and hitting full shots to see how much distance control I can get next time around.

Good update, Yoccos! It definitely likes when you treat it like an iron. You blast any Chromies with that bad boy yet?

Not yet! I'm saving those guys for the round on Monday haha. I figure Bears win and I need to celebrate, Bears lose and I need a hug by the Chromies. It really, really likes being treated like an iron. I'm thinking I may have 3 Mashies when it is all over with. 15, 20 and ...

Good update, Yoccos! It definitely likes when you treat it like an iron. You blast any Chromies with that bad boy yet?

Bridges.. you'll be ok dude. Just don't even stress it. Easy to say but I know you can do it.

I took AHA's advice and just started hitting it like a 7i. POW. Right back to hitting great shots. My pull still was there but I'm working on that. Once the confidence was back, I'm really starting to see the same thing TC mentioned. My ball striking overall is improving a lot. I'm not practicing as much as I used too and usually that would mean a decline. But I'm not seeing that at all. I'm swinging within myself and keeping better balance, I'm noticing some good ball strikes from all my clubs because the form carries over.

For some reason, the course was pretty wet yesterday. Lots of muddy areas and the rought was really tough to get out of. I ended up the rough after my first shot lol. About 250 left to the hole. Mashie time. I hardly noticed the rough. It cut through it like a hot knife through butter. I didn't adjust my swing for the rough, didn't come in steeper (had a decent lie) and it was a great shot. I just kept reminding myself it was an iron. I never once pulled anything but a Mashie off the tee until the 10th. It was an executive course but there are a couple long par 3's and a few par 4's mixed in. Perfect course for this club. You have to be pretty accurate and it put me in a lot of good positions.

I used the club like a niblick on a few holes. Golfing with Ddec, Nerfny and WR I saw the shot a few times. Man, it's a nice shot to have in the bag. As easy as the niblick is, I can see times where I would use the Mashie instead. The longer shaft helped me keep my hands ahead (I choked up quite a bit).

I'm finding more and more shots to use each time I'm out. It's easily my go to club right now. I'll be working on choking up and hitting full shots to see how much distance control I can get next time around.

Nice update Yocco's. Glad to hear its back working for you. Nerfny loves that shot, she used it easily 5 times that day.

It's a great shot. I liked it with my Nickent but the way the Mashie works in the rough makes it a little sweeter. Seeing the success she had with it definitely made me want to have that shot in my bag!

Nice update Yocco's. Glad to hear its back working for you. Nerfny loves that shot, she used it easily 5 times that day.

Let me ask this question: when you guys are saying "swing it like an iron" are you being literal? I mean, do you mean set up to the ball like you have an iron in your hand? Place the ball in your stance like you have an iron in your hand? If so, which iron set up are you mimicking (5 iron, 7 iron, PW?)

As a golfer that is much more inclined to sweep as to dig I haven't consciously set up to the ball with the Mashie as I would an iron, and to be honest, my setup varies with an iron depending on the iron itself. The Mashie isn't necessaily a short club and I setup with it similarly like I would with a fairway wood (ball a little forward of center).

I'm really curious here.

Good stuff Yoccos and AHA, I'm really digging your feedback lately as I simply can't get out there right now.

I play the M4 like I would a 4 iron. Ball placement in the front 1/3 of my stance and I swing down through the ball like I would with an iron.

I do the same as Hawk TC. I play my long irons a little further up than the mids and so on. I set it up like I would a 3i. I used to play my CG7 3i a lot because I really loved the club. I'm also trying to just use 1 plane for my takeaway and I have to remember to not take it so flat with my woods/driver. Which I know I was definitely doing with the Mashie.

Long story short, it's like my 3i haha. I'm stoked to play Monday if I can get out!

I went out yesterday and walked nine holes with one of my buddies yesterday. I only used the Mashie once during the nine holes and I hooked the ball dead left in to the OB. I dropped another and put it right on the green from 200 yds out. After hitting the hook dead left, I was pretty frustrated about my performance with the Mashie.

I decided to head to the range today, to dedicate a whole range session to it. I planned on hitting a large bucket of balls after work and it went like this. When I started hitting the first of the bucket, I had the problems as the day before. They weren’t as bad though. It was more like a 20 yd draw rather than a hook. After about 5 balls of doing that, I took a moment and made sure I was swinging with a good tempo. I then hit a few balls with a smooth back and smooth forward swing. The results were a lot better. It went dead straight about 200 yds out. This was the result I have been searching for the past week. My confidence has started to dwindle due to the hooks I have been hitting. It felt so good! I then continued hitting the rest of the bucket more consistently. I did have a few hard draws, but no hooks. I think most of those came, because I was trying to get more distance out of it and lost my tempo. Towards the end of the bucket I really started to get that Mashie confidence back again. I plan on going out again tomorrow or the next day to verify these results I was getting.

I do notice one thing with the Mashie compared to my irons. I don’t get as much of a divot with the Mashie as my irons. Do the other testers get these results or am I not hitting down on the ball, as I should? Let me know what you think.

hey Dmb.. are you also using the same swing as you would with an iron?

Let me ask this question: when you guys are saying "swing it like an iron" are you being literal? I mean, do you mean set up to the ball like you have an iron in your hand? Place the ball in your stance like you have an iron in your hand? If so, which iron set up are you mimicking (5 iron, 7 iron, PW?)

As a golfer that is much more inclined to sweep as to dig I haven't consciously set up to the ball with the Mashie as I would an iron, and to be honest, my setup varies with an iron depending on the iron itself. The Mashie isn't necessaily a short club and I setup with it similarly like I would with a fairway wood (ball a little forward of center).

I'm really curious here.

Good stuff Yoccos and AHA, I'm really digging your feedback lately as I simply can't get out there right now.

Thanks TC. For my set up I play my Mashie like a 5 or 6 iron as far as ball position, and I try to compress the ball like I do with an iron. I tend to have a shallow/sweeping swing with my fairway woods, which I have found not to work with the Mashie. I'm a digger with my irons, which for me has really worked out great with the Mashie. I'm trying to take a divot with the Mashie similar to the divot I take with a 5 iron. I hope this helps!

I spent some time with the Mashie at the range today. More of the same for me. I'm trying to experiment more with ball flight and shaping the ball with the Mashie now that I'm more comfortable with it. This club can be used for all the shots you'll need...high draw, high soft cut, low draw, low stinger cut, etc.

Today was password change day and I was forced to comply so I changed it to Mashie01. Don't hate!

OEM Kevin

*tries to access OEM's user profile on Golfgalaxy.com*

Today was password change day and I was forced to comply so I changed it to Mashie01. Don't hate!

OEM Kevin

I'm really curious here.

I wouldn't know, I wasn't one of the lucky chosen few, but I play my Rescue hybrids mid stance like a 5 iron, small divot type shot.

Went out this afternoon to play nine holes at an executive course near my place and contiued to have success with the Mashie. I left the driver in the bag and used the Mashie to tee off on the par 4s. I am very happy with this club and quite thankful to THP and Cleveland for making this all possible

Last edited:
Back