2011 Cobra S3 Irons Preview

To get this back on topic and about the new Cobra S3 irons, we can tell you that these have been shipped off to the tester that will be putting them through the paces and get their review up for everybody.

Nice looking iron, too bad i have burner 2.0's or I'd give these whirl to see how they stack up against the competition.

OK, I got to hit these for about 30 minutes in the golftec practice bay today. And, I gotta say, they felt pretty good to me. Based on the monitor, toe hits were going a lot further than I was seeing on my old R7s. So they certainly have something going for them in the forgiveness department as far as I can tell from my short test.

Also, they felt like butter on pured shots. Not surprising here, many irons I've tried lately do.

On thinned shots, they did feel a little harsh, but still performed really well in those situations. Overall, there was not a lack of feedback at all on where the ball was struck on the club face, but that didn't prevent the ball from going a surpisingly long way for those mishits.

Again, this was a VERY limited go at em. I should have way more experience after Tuesday or Wednesday when I have 1 or 1.5 hours at golftec.

As far as how they look... the top line on these looks thicker than the Burner 2.0s... the Light colored material covers the entire topline on these, versus the 2.0s that goes only part ways. I'll have to check again, but I don't believe that the offset is as progressive in nature as on the 2.0s, but more consistent across the clubs.... will double check that one later.

I do really like the way they look though... very confidence inspiring at address.

And also, I did get an upgraded shaft in these, the TT DG X-100 Tour Issue. Thanks Cobra for putting in the extra cool Tour Issue version of the X-100s. That was an unexpected treat!

Just checked on the irons again. The offset is indeed progressive from PW to 4 iron, but its pretty subtle changes and I didn't even notice it until I put them side by side.

OK, I got to hit these for about 30 minutes in the golftec practice bay today. And, I gotta say, they felt pretty good to me. Based on the monitor, toe hits were going a lot further than I was seeing on my old R7s. So they certainly have something going for them in the forgiveness department as far as I can tell from my short test.

Also, they felt like butter on pured shots. Not surprising here, many irons I've tried lately do.

On thinned shots, they did feel a little harsh, but still performed really well in those situations. Overall, there was not a lack of feedback at all on where the ball was struck on the club face, but that didn't prevent the ball from going a surpisingly long way for those mishits.

Again, this was a VERY limited go at em. I should have way more experience after Tuesday or Wednesday when I have 1 or 1.5 hours at golftec.

As far as how they look... the top line on these looks thicker than the Burner 2.0s... the Light colored material covers the entire topline on these, versus the 2.0s that goes only part ways. I'll have to check again, but I don't believe that the offset is as progressive in nature as on the 2.0s, but more consistent across the clubs.... will double check that one later.

I do really like the way they look though... very confidence inspiring at address.

And also, I did get an upgraded shaft in these, the TT DG X-100 Tour Issue. Thanks Cobra for putting in the extra cool Tour Issue version of the X-100s. That was an unexpected treat!

Great initial thoughts G4L. Great customer service touch by Cobra with putting in upgraded shafts for you

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

Thanks for the review.

What is your sense on the finish. Not to rehash the debate here but the 2.0's, X24's, and CG7's are a mixed bag in terms of how the finish will or has held up.

Little test here for you guys. Within the spoilers are pictures of two separate irons. Which is which?

Spoiler
1162586159_tonca-L-1.jpg

Spoiler
1002056787_vuZdV-L-1.jpg

Its a pretty blatant copy if you ask me. If thats not proof I dont know what is. And Im not here to say theres anything wrong with that. Cobra has to sell irons somehow, right? Might as well copy the best selling irons in the business.

Yeah, that's pretty similar. How dare you be logical OEM! lol

Like I said, I'm sure Cobra sees some great results/sales out of this set.

Yeah, that's pretty similar. How dare you be logical OEM! lol

Like I said, I'm sure Cobra sees some great results/sales out of this set.

Im sure they will. Like I said they have to sell irons some how. Hey, it doesnt discount the fact they are nice looking for sure. And maybe they perform too and more power to them. The TaylorMade haters now have something just like the Burner 2.0's they can buy without having to buy the real ones.

Im sure they will. Like I said they have to sell irons some how. Hey, it doesnt discount the fact they are nice looking for sure. And maybe they perform too and more power to them. The TaylorMade haters now have something just like the Burner 2.0's they can buy without having to buy the real ones.

That's kind of the way that I see it. Ole Gray's been so tempted by the 2.0's but could never pull the trigger, now he can!

That's kind of the way that I see it. Ole Gray's been so tempted by the 2.0's but could never pull the trigger, now he can!

Wow now I know why youre fltc. He has been very tempted and now he can get the Burner S3's by Cobra.

Thanks for the review.

What is your sense on the finish. Not to rehash the debate here but the 2.0's, X24's, and CG7's are a mixed bag in terms of how the finish will or has held up.

I suspect the finish on the hitting area will hold up very well, more like the Burner 2.0s than the others you mentioned.

I suspect the finish on the hitting area will hold up very well, more like the Burner 2.0s than the others you mentioned.

I think you are right G4L. I really like that glossy black they chose for the finish here.

I think you are right G4L. I really like that glossy black they chose for the finish here.

Yeah, it is a really good looking finish for sure. First irons I've ever owned where I'm tempted to get those little head covers.

Yeah, it is a really good looking finish for sure. First irons I've ever owned where I'm tempted to get those little head covers.

When I first opened the box, I immediately was thinking about irons over the last 24 months and how some companies are going with darker finishes. Then I immediately thought of the Burner 2.0s and Cleveland CG7 BPs. Both irons are striking in their own way to me. I am partial to this glossy look of the black finish that is used here, but that is merely a personal opinion. I would be lying if I didn't say I thought there was a small lack of originality in these, but at the same time it would not phase me for a second to play them if they performed well.

I can't wait to hit these irons myself, I'm a fan of that glossy black too.

I'd like to hit these as well. I don't care that they copied the 2.0's, if they work well I'm happy for cobra.

They look to have quite a think top line, any one know if this effects the distance to much compared to the 2.0's? And while some of you say it's a copy, I think they look better than the 2.0's.

They look to have quite a think top line, any one know if this effects the distance to much compared to the 2.0's? And while some of you say it's a copy, I think they look better than the 2.0's.

Topline should not have much affect on distance at all, in some ways give more distance off of mis hits. The topline appears to be about teh same as the the 2.0s.

Topline should not have much affect on distance at all, in some ways give more distance off of mis hits. The topline appears to be about teh same as the the 2.0s.

Agreed that the topline is about the same width as the 2.0s. The 2.0s appear a little thinner to me though because the two material finish divide the top line, making it appear smaller than it is.

As JB mentioned, a THP reviewer (me) should have these to start testing around the middle of this week. Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer in terms of distance, forgiveness, and ball flight. The e9 technology sounds good and I'll be interested to see if it works as advertised. Also, this will be my first time with Nippon shafts and I'm excited to see what they have to offer. They look stepless to me, but I'm not sure. JB?

As JB mentioned, a THP reviewer (me) should have these to start testing around the middle of this week. Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer in terms of distance, forgiveness, and ball flight. The e9 technology sounds good and I'll be interested to see if it works as advertised. Also, this will be my first time with Nippon shafts and I'm excited to see what they have to offer. They look stepless to me, but I'm not sure. JB?

You will find out soon enough. HA! Looking forward to your thoughts on these.

Back