How much Increase?

BulldogsGolf

Future PGA Professional
Reaction score
Handicap
Last year I was playing with the set that I got a few years ago, which were the Maxfli BlackMaxs. I was only playing with the irons and a hybrid, with everything else being different brands. This year (as some may know, if you have read some of my other threads) I get to pick out new Irons. Here are my iron distances now (I think I about Maxed out these clubs, lol:D)

3 Hybrid: 215
5 (irons): 175
6: 147
7: 135
8: 125:
9: 115-120
PW: 107-115
56*: 80

I am much stronger than those numbers show. If I got a good set of irons (which I am, don't worry) How much would you estimate those numbers to go up? I know it depends on the clubs and my swing. But just an idea might be nice. 10 HCP here. Thanks,

BulldogsGolf

BTW: The irons I am between are
:bridgestone: Forged Cavity J38s
:nike: VR Pro Combo
:mizuno: MP-63

So many factors play a role in distance more than just new clubs.

Lofts, shaft length, and all work with ball speed to determine distances.

Proper fitting clubs will be the best way to determine what actual distances are.

Hard to say. I averaged 175 6i with Burner 1.0, but 181 with Callaway X22s, and 186 with the R9s. It probably should have been opposite of that. Like Jb said, there are a lot of factors that come into play here.

I kmow you are young- no worries, so am I- but get fitted. You will thank yourself later.

Are you going to fit your ball off of your new irons? Depending on the new irons, I saw a full club increase with my new irons last year. I went from a set of Ping i3s to some Adams Idea Pro Golds. I got a full club increase.

Looks like some pretty severe distance gaps in there... Depending on lies and lofts of your current and new clubs it could be a huge difference or a moderate one. Either way you should see those gaps close up nicely with a new fitted set of clubs.

I just noticed those gaps as well. Get fit, get lessons. Make those gaps more consistent and get better/longer ball flight.

I just noticed those gaps as well. Get fit, get lessons. Make those gaps more consistent and get better/longer ball flight.

Those are approximate. I could tell you more exact during the season, but now that I havent played for 3 months, well, sorry that my distances are a little wide...lol

nothings really crazy except your 5-6 iron. 30 yard gap.. it says "irons" for your 5 iron, do you use the same set for those two or not?

Those are approximate. I could tell you more exact during the season, but now that I havent played for 3 months, well, sorry that my distances are a little wide...lol

Don't apologize. If those gaps work for you, then don't worry. I just know that I have a 10-15 yard gap with my irons. I spent a lot of time at the range learning these gaps. I lost many strokes on the course ironing out those gaps. There is no guarantee that new irons will add distance. Just be sure to learn good distance control. With gaps like that, I would not recommend a blade or players iron. A good, forgiving game improvement iron will do wonders for your game.

Thought about getting another hybrid? You should have room for another club. Maybe go d, 3w, 2h, 4h, 5-PW, then 3 wedges and putter. Help with that gap.

Guessing your deadly with those irons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guessing your deadly with those irons?

5 and 6 are pretty accurate, 7 thru PW are pretty tight 99% of the time...

And yes, the irons are all the same set. Looking at getting a 3-PW set with maybe 2 hybrid...

Well, you hit your 3 hybrid a mile in comparison to the other clubs... Count me as one who is surprised by the gap between 5 and 6 too. I definitely think you are ready for new irons, and probably, more importantly a fitting to get the correct shafts and length/lie angles. There are so many good options now in the game improvement category of irons for someone of your skill level, make sure to max out their effectiveness with a good fitting!

Like I said, these aren't 100% accurate. Looking back now there probably isn't quite as big a gap as I wrote, but without having played in 3 months, what can I do. I will get fitted, and I am going for a players cavity iron. I've hit them and I know I can hit them well....Thanks again guys!~

BulldogsGolf

Back