Advice needed on links style courses.

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I am going out to play a links style course for the first time this weekend. What is different about this type of course and what, if any, changes should I make to either my golf bag ( club selection ) or how I approach the game?

Less trees and more dirt :)

Keep it in the fairway. If you're accurate with your driver then use it, if you tend to have a lot of shape off of the tee, keep it in the bag. I wouldn't worry too much about club selection. I would worry about distance control (knockdowns and 3/4 pitch shots) and shot shape.

typically keep it in the FWY. The rough is a bit more rough.

you will probably get more chances to land the ball before the green and have it chase up and on it.

+1. Especially the native grasses. Keep in mind that most courses don't allow carts in the native grasses. The links course I play all the time only lets you in the rough as you are leaving the cart path to go to your ball. Then they want you in the fairway until you get to the green and then you cross back through the rough to the cart path.

Most true links-style courses have significant wind. This is due, mainly, to them often being near a large body of water and having very little (if any) trees. The wind issue is significant for 2 reasons: (1) it is difficult to gauge distances/ball flight as impacted by the wind and (2) the fairways and greens are often much firmer and difficult to gauge ball/turf reaction.

My recommendation is to start becoming more familar with the knock-down shot and the bump-n-run (even from longer distances). It helps with both the wind and the firmness of the turf, etc.

The other issue is that many links-style course have significant variations in contours of the earth. I can offer no advice in that regard.

Most true links-style courses have significant wind. This is due, mainly, to them often being near a large body of water and having very little (if any) trees. The wind issue is significant for 2 reasons: (1) it is difficult to gauge distances/ball flight as impacted by the wind and (2) the fairways and greens are often much firmer and difficult to gauge ball/turf reaction.

My recommendation is to start becoming more familar with the knock-down shot and the bump-n-run (even from longer distances). It helps with both the wind and the firmness of the turf, etc.

The other issue is that many links-style course have significant variations in contours of the earth. I can offer no advice in that regard.

True. The only time I consistently use my 60* wedge is when I'm on a downhill slope of the many mounds, particularly around the greens. Most of the time, if I know the course and know I probably won't need it, I leave the 60* in the car and bring another club.

It has mostly been said. Accuracy is very important and the greens typically release more.

Be ready to see quite a few of your shots above or below your feet. That and bump n run is your friend.

Thanks to all that have responded!!! Looks like I am in for a bit of fun this weekend.

1. Buy a 2-iron.
2. 3/4" swings into the wind. More club = lower flight.
3. Slow back and sweep the ball a bit more than usual with the irons. Helps keep it lower.
4. The coolest shot on a links course is the one you keep on the ground.

The 3/4 shot is a must! Hitting into the wind, take more club and swing easier to produce much less backspin, and consequently, much less ballooning into the wind.

I love using hybrids around the greens on links holes instead of wedges.

Thanks, this week at the range I will practice the 3/4 shot. I dont have a 2i but I have my hybrids. Especially my Mashie

1. Buy a 2-iron.
2. 3/4" swings into the wind. More club = lower flight.
3. Slow back and sweep the ball a bit more than usual with the irons. Helps keep it lower.
4. The coolest shot on a links course is the one you keep on the ground.

If I bought a 2-iron it would only be to say that I have a 2-iron!

Yep. Depends on how the course is maintained, but the typical fescue rough can be a real problem. It places a premium on staying in the fairway. One of the top public courses in Colorado is a Dye Designs links style (Riverdale Dunes) and it is a bear when you leave the fairway.

Yep. Depends on how the course is maintained, but the typical fescue rough can be a real problem. It places a premium on staying in the fairway. One of the top public courses in Colorado is a Dye Designs links style (Riverdale Dunes) and it is a bear when you leave the fairway.

Ok now I am confused... if it is a bear when you leave it in the fairway then are you not supposed to? Kind of play reverse golf and aim for the rough?

Accuracy is a premium as is a low shot. A lot of link style courses give you more options for hitting the green, no wind fly it in, wind bump and run.

hit the fairways and hit the greens and you shouldn't have any problems

hit the fairways and hit the greens and you shouldn't have any problems

That's easier said than done Jeff! hahaha

Isn't that SOP at any course?

Parkland golf is usually played by manipulating the golf ball to achieve a certain shot, real links golf is best played when using the land to manipulate the golf ball to achieve the certain shot.

Parkland golf is usually played by manipulating the golf ball to achieve a certain shot, real links golf is best played when using the land to manipulate the golf ball to achieve the certain shot.

Got it!! ... I think :D

It depends on the wind conditions. If it's calm, just play your game. One thing to remember though - on a links course, straight down the middle of the fairway isn't always the way to end up on the fairway :wink:

Back