Sun Mountain Bag - Super Light 3.5 Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What makes a golf bag a “good” golf bag? There’s really nothing to the basic concept, just a simple bag to hold your golf clubs, a few balls, maybe a tee or two and you’re set. This may be true, but then why are there so many different kinds of bags out there right now? Go spend some time on a fairly busy course some weekend and you’ll see something like 300 or 400 different golfers each day, every single one of them has their own bag full of golf gear and I’ll bet you just about everyone has one that’s different than the rest. I’ve seen staff bags, cart bags, stand bags, really skinny carry bags, old style leather bags like your grandpa used to use, and well just about everything in between. You can pretty much say I had seen it all when it comes to different golf bag offerings. Or had I?

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=12109

I left comments on the bag in your review, but I also wanted to say that you did a real nice job on this review, Jake. I could tell you loved it :)

Excellent review and the product is exactly what I am looking for. As a senior golfer it has all the features required plus the lightweight design is a real plus! I love the option of cart or pull cart or simply walking. Heck it would work great lugging it from the truck to the golf cart due to the lightweight design. What a winner Sun Mountain has delivered!

Good review...I've always had my eyes on this bag, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

This sounds like a great option for my next bag. My Nike bag works really well when I carry it, but isn't as good when I have to put it on a cart. Also, the pockets are a little bit limiting when I'm trying to put my rain/cold gear in there, so this bag sounds like an improvement. Since I walk the majority of my rounds carrying my bag, I would have loved to hear about how the bag worked in that capacity, but as the author pointed out, he uses the Speed Cart when he walks, so I'm guessing that's why carrying the bag wasn't discussed. JB, any chance we could get some more pictures of how the dividers in the bag look and some of the pictures of the pockets/straps on this bag?

Great review Jake, maybe 2011 is finally the year I get a new bag.

Very nice Review!

Phenomenal review Jake! I know first hand how much you dig this bag and those sentiments really shone through in your review. Bags are such a personal thing, and as a fellow stand bag guy, I really enjoyed reading this. Sun Mountain will more than likely be my next stand bag. I’d love to see a picture of the top of the bag (maybe you can post it in the forum) as I like to see how the clubs are organized and whatnot.

I will get some pics of the top of the bag posted, I have some ready to rock for you.

I will get some pics of the top of the bag posted, I have some ready to rock for you.

I appreciate it pal, and it's cool if you wanna wait til you get home. I know there's a lot on your plate right now.

awesome review Jake!

Here's one with my clubs in the bag.
IMG_20110113_120005.jpg

So it has a 4 or 5 way divider? Looks like plenty of space as well. Dude, you need a new set of wedges, lol

Hey Jake, I just read through your review and it was awesome as usual, but I'm wondering how you still feel about this bag. I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow and it looks like it has everything that I want in a bag.

One question that I can't seem to find, does it have a place to strap an umbrella?

Hey Jake, I just read through your review and it was awesome as usual, but I'm wondering how you still feel about this bag. I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow and it looks like it has everything that I want in a bag.

One question that I can't seem to find, does it have a place to strap an umbrella?
This is the bag I still use when not using my Bridgestone staffer. I like it, but as with most stand bags the clubs can get jammed and it gets difficult to pull them out and/or get them back in. It's not terrible and like I said it's something that happens with just about every stand bag. I've used it primarily on my Clic Gear push cart but I've also carried it a few times and it is very comfortable and easy to carry.

I don't believe there is a spot on the bag for an umbrella, at least it doesn't ring a bell. I'll check tonight when I get home.

One more thing to add. This thing has a place for everything. Tons of pockets and things just seem to have their proper place with it.

This is the bag I still use when not using my Bridgestone staffer. I like it, but as with most stand bags the clubs can get jammed and it gets difficult to pull them out and/or get them back in. It's not terrible and like I said it's something that happens with just about every stand bag. I've used it primarily on my Clic Gear push cart but I've also carried it a few times and it is very comfortable and easy to carry.

I don't believe there is a spot on the bag for an umbrella, at least it doesn't ring a bell. I'll check tonight when I get home.

One more thing to add. This thing has a place for everything. Tons of pockets and things just seem to have their proper place with it.
Thanks for the quick response you handsome devil. I don't think there is a way to get away from the clubs at the bottom of the bag sticking with a stand bag, but from the sounds of it this is the bag I'm looking for.

Thanks for the quick response you handsome devil. I don't think there is a way to get away from the clubs at the bottom of the bag sticking with a stand bag, but from the sounds of it this is the bag I'm looking for.
When you posted in the equipment pondering thread this immediately popped in my head. You're looking for the ultimate stand/carry bag and this very well could be it. One nice bonus is that these work great on a cart as well (both push or ride).

When you posted in the equipment pondering thread this immediately popped in my head. You're looking for the ultimate stand/carry bag and this very well could be it. One nice bonus is that these work great on a cart as well (both push or ride).
Exactly what I'm looking for since in the summer I will still be taking a cart at least 50% of the time if not more, but in the winter I will be walking more than I will be riding so I need a bag that works great as both.

coolbreeze, this is the bag that I have right now. There is a umbrella holder, it's beside the long pockets on one side of the bag. I know, that's a terrible description of it, but I'm at work right now so I can't snap pictures of it for you. I occasionally have issues with the top of the umbrella coming out of the holder at the bottom of the bag, but it's not a deal breaker.

Also, the rain hood attaches to the bag via 2 velcro straps on one side and 2 buttoned straps on the other side. It takes slightly more time than a rain hood that just uses button closures all around the hood, but it does a pretty good job at keeping rain out.

In terms of riding, there is velcro near the bottom of the legs that can be attached so that the legs don't try to deploy when you put the bag on a cart. Also, there is a pass-through area for the cart strap to go on the bag so that your towels and such don't get caught up underneath the cart strap. None of the cart guys at the courses I play ever notice it, but it's easy for me to reroute that strap so that the towels are easily accessible, and it keeps the bag from sliding around a lot on a cart.

coolbreeze, this is the bag that I have right now. There is a umbrella holder, it's beside the long pockets on one side of the bag. I know, that's a terrible description of it, but I'm at work right now so I can't snap pictures of it for you. I occasionally have issues with the top of the umbrella coming out of the holder at the bottom of the bag, but it's not a deal breaker.

Also, the rain hood attaches to the bag via 2 velcro straps on one side and 2 buttoned straps on the other side. It takes slightly more time than a rain hood that just uses button closures all around the hood, but it does a pretty good job at keeping rain out.

In terms of riding, there is velcro near the bottom of the legs that can be attached so that the legs don't try to deploy when you put the bag on a cart. Also, there is a pass-through area for the cart strap to go on the bag so that your towels and such don't get caught up underneath the cart strap. None of the cart guys at the courses I play ever notice it, but it's easy for me to reroute that strap so that the towels are easily accessible, and it keeps the bag from sliding around a lot on a cart.
Thanks Ary, thats great info! I'm now more sure than every that this is the right bag for me, and golftown has them on special right now for fairly cheap as long as you can still find one. Looks to me like this is a really good quality bag with all the features I need in a carry bag.

Back