Driver Heads & Spin Rate

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
What kind of driver head/shaft combo do you have and how does it help your spin rate? Some driver heads produce more spin than others so not all heads are created equal. Hopefully this thread will help you choosing a clubhead that is more suited for your swing. Do you hit a high balloning trajectory or a low piercing one? Could it be a swing issue or an equipment issue? It will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

I found that my Cobra S2 driver for me is a low spin head with a nice mid ball flight. I use the Graffoloy Prolaunch 75 gram and it's a good combo in the S2. The Cobra ZL version is much more of a spinner than it's brother, at least for me. I tried a few different shafts without any success with the ZL. It might be an asset for someone looking for more spin.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much my spin has decreased because I just switched from a Dymo to an L4V but I had an Aldila Serrano in the Dymo and right away I noticed a lower ball flight, sorry I couldn't input much but I can say for sure shaft upgrades decrease loft a lot more than degree changes in the face do. I am just looking for a crazy penetrating ball flight and haven't found a good combo yet.

Looking forward to reading up when this thread becomes more popular.

OK I'll start a list- just add in drivers. Spin from highest spinning to lowest spinning in my experience

1. Machspeed STR8 (very high. My best results with this were with a ProLaunch V2)
2. ZL (even with a Prolaunch Red it was still pretty spinny)
3. Launcher 09 (Nice club, but the Fit-on Gold shaft exaggerated the spin/launch. I bet the Fit-On Red would be a winner)
4. G15 (Stock shaft gave me great distance but no roll)
5. DST (could never hit this well)
6. Hibore XL (low- super club at 9.5* with the stock Fit-On Gold-high launch low spin. Still have this one)
7. L5V (very low- currently using a DVS to keep the initial launch angle up. My best results with any driver)
8. MX-700 (very low- almost bought this with the stock shaft)
9. J-38 (Extremely low- nothing but worm burners for me)

When I tested the Diablo Octane 10.5 with the Reg Project X shaft my spin rate was really high compared to other drivers I have hit.

I've got my Dymo now and boy does it fligh high lol. I'm looking to replace soon. I believe its a high launch type driver with black Axivcore shaft in it. Very forgiving for the most part. Although I liked the Dymo2 better. The Dymo2 even launched a little lower for me.

I have a Adila NV shaft I picked up for a good price at Golf Galaxy before they closed. I'm just gonna put it in to see how it works. If not Ill just sell it I think. That should lower the ball flight but I have no idea if it will be ideal. Don't really plan on keeping it, it's more I have an extra shaft lying around lol. I have a few drivers in mind though. I have been talking to people here on THP and have some great suggestions lined up.

I noticed I have a tendency to hit down on the ball even with my driver. I don't know how that helps/hurts my drives. I also come over the top at times. I've at least got a consistant tempo and swing for the most part which really helped me narrow down some driver choices. I think thats the part that is really important. A consistant swing you can count on. That helps the fitting process a tremendous amount.

OK I'll start a list- just add in drivers. Spin from highest spinning to lowest spinning in my experience

1. Machspeed STR8 (very high. My best results with this were with a ProLaunch V2)
3. Launcher 09 (Nice club, but the Fit-on Gold shaft exaggerated the spin/launch. I bet the Fit-On Red would be a winner)
4. G15 (Stock shaft gave me great distance but no roll)
5. DST (could never hit this well)
6. Hibore XL (low- super club at 9.5* with the stock Fit-On Gold-high launch low spin. Still have this one)
7. L5V (very low- currently using a DVS to keep the initial launch angle up. My best results with any driver)
8. MX-700 (very low- almost bought this with the stock shaft)
9. J-38 (Extremely low- nothing but worm burners for me)

Two -- Very good input and this kind of stuff will help others down the road.

What kind of driver head/shaft combo do you have and how does it help your spin rate? Some driver heads produce more spin than others so not all heads are created equal. Hopefully this thread will help you choosing a clubhead that is more suited for your swing. Do you hit a high balloning trajectory or a low piercing one? Could it be a swing issue or an equipment issue? It will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Good topic Ole Gray. I currently have the original R9 head paired with the Miyazaki Black 72g x. It's the perfect combo for me b/c it puts me in a spin rate that averages around 3100 rpm. To some that may be a little high but it's what helps me get that extra carry distance as my swing speed average is around 105 mph.

I recently had the opportunity to hit the Callaway Octane Tour driver for an extended period of time and I was loving the #'s I was getting out of it. It comes equiped with an authentic PX 6.0 shaft and I was seeing spin numbers around 2900-3000 rpm's, with an average launch angle of 14*, but my club head speed average was around 111 mph with this driver. It's definitely on my "want" list.

I'm definitely a high spin golfer so I tend to not need a high spin driver head. Even though I don't have the swing speed to warrant an xstiff shaft, I find that they work best in helping me lower my spin #'s and my launch angle.

I'm really curious about testing the R11 when I get the chance.

Forgot one.

4. Bobby Jones WE (some spin but very controlable. I had a Proto-By You shaft that worked well to flatten it out. Kind of a short driver for me though)
5. G15 (Stock shaft gave me great distance but no roll)
6. DST (could never hit this well so I am not sure)
7. Hibore XL (low- super club at 9.5* with the stock Fit-On Gold-high launch low spin. Still have this one)
8. L5V (very low- currently using a DVS to keep the initial launch angle up. My best results with any driver)
9. MX-700 (very low- almost bought this with the stock shaft)
10. J-38 (Extremely low- nothing but worm burners for me)

Waiting on my Ft-iz from ChunkyLover to see where that one fits it! Hoping for an L5V kind of spin rate.

Only hit 2 drivers in my short golfing life.

1. Dymo2 with stock stiff shaft - gave me 3,500RPM+ spin
2. R9 supertri with SK Fibre shaft (see siggy for full name) - which gives me 2,700RPM spin rate

My experience:

Mach Speed - Agreed with TS, high spin
Diablo Edge - Also high spin. I'm willing to bet part of that is the Serrano or Habenero shaft though
i15 - Lower spin, not super low but less then average
K15 - High spin (hard not to get that ball to go straight though), high launch
TM Burner 09 - Mid to high. High enough that it's killing me with it's spin numbers but it's hard to argue with a consistent 1.49 smash factor on every shot. Ho hum

I've got my Dymo now and boy does it fligh high lol. I'm looking to replace soon. I believe its a high launch type driver with black Axivcore shaft in it. Very forgiving for the most part. Although I liked the Dymo2 better. The Dymo2 even launched a little lower for me.

I have a Adila NV shaft I picked up for a good price at Golf Galaxy before they closed. I'm just gonna put it in to see how it works. If not Ill just sell it I think. That should lower the ball flight but I have no idea if it will be ideal. Don't really plan on keeping it, it's more I have an extra shaft lying around lol. I have a few drivers in mind though. I have been talking to people here on THP and have some great suggestions lined up.

I noticed I have a tendency to hit down on the ball even with my driver. I don't know how that helps/hurts my drives. I also come over the top at times. I've at least got a consistant tempo and swing for the most part which really helped me narrow down some driver choices. I think thats the part that is really important. A consistant swing you can count on. That helps the fitting process a tremendous amount.

Yoccos,

It will lower your ball flight a good ammount. The NV is like the older version of the Serrano, once you throw that bad boy in you will notice a difference. It's weird I did the exact same thing you did. Driver broke, threw in the Aldila shaft, and then for some strange reason sold it about a week later.

Today I sent a request for an appointment with my local golf instructor, Bobby Hix for a driver fitting. It's been some time since my last fitting. I have no doubt that my swing speed, ball speed, etc all have changed. I am looking forward to seeing where my numbers are now and what would be a good fit for me.

edit: Bobby is in Orlando this week for the PGA show so it will be next week at best before my fitting.

Good topic Ole Gray. I currently have the original R9 head paired with the Miyazaki Black 72g x.

Similar to me. I needed more spin with the driver, as the spin rate with some of my drives were less than 2,000 rpms. I tried out a few driver heads, but settled on the TM Supertri, as it increased my spin rate to approximately 2,300 or so rpms. I am happy with that number. Then I tried several shafts that would put me at an optimal launch angle but keep the good spin rate. While several of the shafts I tested did this, I went with the Miyazaki Black 72x.

Superfast TP was a low spinning head for me...that could have been because of the HD6 shaft, though.

My spinrates were out of control with my callaway diablo with a voodoo xvs7 in it. I picked up a Nike vr tour this winter with a px 7 in it for next to nothing. I haven't had it on a monitor yet but I'm hoping it helps, as I need to cut about 1500 rpm.

Today I sent a request for an appointment with my local golf instructor, Bobby Hix for a driver fitting. It's been some time since my last fitting. I have no doubt that my swing speed, ball speed, etc all have changed. I am looking forward to seeing where my numbers are now and what would be a good fit for me.

edit: Bobby is in Orlando this week for the PGA show so it will be next week at best before my fitting.
That should be fun Gray!

My driver is an Alpha 830.2 Plasma with a House of Forged HD Prototype shaft, and is 47-inches long. My spin rate is around 2800-3200, my launch angle is approximately 13º, and my smash factor average is 1.47. All good numbers according to my pro.

FWIW, I swing in the 108-113 mph range w/medium tempo but a bit too abrupt at times during the transition to the downswing. Although x-stiff shafts are usually recommended for me during fittings, I prefer to go with stiff to slow my tempo/transition as best I can. My recent trials:

1. Cobra ZL 9.5* w/stiff VS Proto "By You" shaft - high launghing, high spinning combo in my hands. Whether set to open, neutral, or closed, launch was too high along with the spin. Great sound, solid at impact.
2. Nike Str8 Fit Victory Red Tour 9.5* w/stiff stock Voodoo - I just couldn't dial this one in regardless of setting. Low, screaming duck hooks nearly every swing. Never got a reading on spin, the shots were that bad. Hated the sound, also.
3. Powerbilt Air Force One Tour 10.5* w/stiff stock Fuji E350 - med/low trajectory, low spin, LONG. For me though, it was the opposite of the Nike in that I'd lose it waaaay right with bad swings. Acceptable sound and decent feel at impact. Distance was intoxicating, really tried to make this one work but to no avail...
4. Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 9.5* w/stiff stock PX 6.0 - medium trajectory, good launch, med/low spin. Very satisfying feel at impact, explosive, long. In the running for the top spot.
5. Cobra S2 9.5* w/stiff Diamana Blueboard 73 - med/closer to high trajectory, good launch, med/low spin. Love the feel of this shaft unloading through impact, very stable. Good distance. Also, in the running for top spot.
6. Macgregor Mactec NVG2 Tour 9* w/stiff Graphite Design Pershing 65. Not the same magic in this wand as I enjoyed with the same head in 10* (prior to blowing up the face) with the same shaft. Bought this clubhead used and I think it was used too much, feels completely dead to me. Low, screaming duck hooks, no distane to speak of. Complete opposite of the last one that I loved so much, THAT one was the perfect driver for me. Will try to find a newer clubhead to give it one last try.
7. Tour Edge XCG-3 Tour 9* w/stiff stock Motore shaft. Med/high trajectory, great launch, low spin, best carry and 2nd in overall distance for me of the drivers listed (Powerbilt being #1). 2nd in dispersion to the Octane, but it's close. Sound is neither good nor bad, solid feel, explosive. Currently in the lead for the top spot.
8. Taylor Made R7 Limited TP 10.5* w/x-stiff stock Whiteboard. Med/closer to high trajectory, good launch, med spin, solid feel. Dependable as my back up driver for a couple of seasons now.

Great idea for a post Grey!!! I for one am totally confused about shafts and numbers and what numbers to look at and what is right and what is wrong. I think I decided to just go with what I have and when it stops working then look for something else.

FWIW, I swing in the 108-113 mph range w/medium tempo but a bit too abrupt at times during the transition to the downswing. Although x-stiff shafts are usually recommended for me during fittings, I prefer to go with stiff to slow my tempo/transition as best I can. My recent trials:

1. Cobra ZL 9.5* w/stiff VS Proto "By You" shaft - high launghing, high spinning combo in my hands. Whether set to open, neutral, or closed, launch was too high along with the spin. Great sound, solid at impact.
2. Nike Str8 Fit Victory Red Tour 9.5* w/stiff stock Voodoo - I just couldn't dial this one in regardless of setting. Low, screaming duck hooks nearly every swing. Never got a reading on spin, the shots were that bad. Hated the sound, also.
3. Powerbilt Air Force One Tour 10.5* w/stiff stock Fuji E350 - med/low trajectory, low spin, LONG. For me though, it was the opposite of the Nike in that I'd lose it waaaay right with bad swings. Acceptable sound and decent feel at impact. Distance was intoxicating, really tried to make this one work but to no avail...
4. Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 9.5* w/stiff stock PX 6.0 - medium trajectory, good launch, med/low spin. Very satisfying feel at impact, explosive, long. In the running for the top spot.
5. Cobra S2 9.5* w/stiff Diamana Blueboard 73 - med/closer to high trajectory, good launch, med/low spin. Love the feel of this shaft unloading through impact, very stable. Good distance. Also, in the running for top spot.
6. Macgregor Mactec NVG2 Tour 9* w/stiff Graphite Design Pershing 65. Not the same magic in this wand as I enjoyed with the same head in 10* (prior to blowing up the face) with the same shaft. Bought this clubhead used and I think it was used too much, feels completely dead to me. Low, screaming duck hooks, no distane to speak of. Complete opposite of the last one that I loved so much, THAT one was the perfect driver for me. Will try to find a newer clubhead to give it one last try.
7. Tour Edge XCG-3 Tour 9* w/stiff stock Motore shaft. Med/high trajectory, great launch, low spin, best carry and 2nd in overall distance for me of the drivers listed (Powerbilt being #1). 2nd in dispersion to the Octane, but it's close. Sound is neither good nor bad, solid feel, explosive. Currently in the lead for the top spot.
8. Taylor Made R7 Limited TP 10.5* w/x-stiff stock Whiteboard. Med/closer to high trajectory, good launch, med spin, solid feel. Dependable as my back up driver for a couple of seasons now.

WMac -- Great post dude! Well written and I enjoyed it.

Great idea for a post Grey!!! I for one am totally confused about shafts and numbers and what numbers to look at and what is right and what is wrong. I think I decided to just go with what I have and when it stops working then look for something else.

Thanks WR! I am hoping we will all pick up a bit more knowledge through posts like what WMac and others have left on this thread.

I am another that is basically a moron when it comes to the numbers in a swing analysis. I know that as of about three years ago I was at 111 mph with my driver, which is the same I tested at some years before. I may have lost 1 or 2 mph - after all I am 57 - but I generally get it out there pretty well (260 avg.) and some days I still make 'em explode off the driver. I can hit it high when I need to, but generally I have a relatively low and boring trajectory with not much roll. My driver (see specs in signature) is not the newest, but you'd have to whack me pretty good upside the noggin to get it away from me. With this club I have the best combination of distance and control that I ever had, and I can hit it off the deck very consistently straight and 230-240 as well. I have to believe if I got fitted that the analysis would tell me I optimally need something close to what I have.

WMac -- Great post dude! Well written and I enjoyed it.

Thanks, great idea you have for a thread here. Very interesting to see that we feel very similarly about the ZL and S2.

I love to read reviews of all kinds, whether they be from dedicated sites or individual golfers themselves. Of course hitting a club for yourself is the best read possible but when I can't manage to try a club out firsthand, the next best thing is find some commonalities. And this is an excellent site for all things equipment, the best imo, glad I found it.

Just a quick update since I was on a launch monitor last night: the i15 for me is super low spin. I was barely hitting 1900 RPM's with it even hitting down on the ball

I'm quoting myself here because I just got back from the range where I hit four of the above drivers extensively (actually, two range sessions over the past two days). First, I have to say, I sold my ZL, Powerbilt, and Nike. The Macgregor's face is dead so no way I'd pass that off to someone else (as was done to me!).

So off to the range I went with the S2, Octane, XCG-3, and R7 Limited TP. During both sessions, the above observations held true wrt the Octane, and XCG-3. The S2 was all over the map and distance suffered today. Yesterday was better with the S2 but I was still a bit too inconsistent for comfort with it. But when I'd previously listed my impressions of the Limited I was going off of recollections from last year. Yesterday and today's session reminded me why I like that driver so much. So, an update is in order:

8. Taylor Made R7 Limited TP 10.5* w/X-stiff stock Whiteboard. Moderately high trajectory, excellent launch, darn near optimal spin for me (avg. spin 2400, launch: 13*), solid feel, long with great carry.

My swing was consistently between 110-112 mph over the past two days. Dispersion with the TM is right behind the Tour Edge (within 1 yd) but the TM was 10 yards longer on average, 9 yards longer than the Octane, and 16 yards longer than the S2. But like I said, I was inconsistent with the S2, so that affected distance averages.

Where the Limited TP is not highly regarded as a particularly long driver or low-spin head, it just goes to show how important the head to shaft combo is from one golfer to the next. Whether it be a genuine Whiteboard or made-for version, I really don't care. In my hands it feels silky smooth and my better swings offer a very satisfying feel through impact as the shaft unloads.

I shot some of my best scores with that driver and although I'll continue my testing until I'm absolutely sure which driver is best for me for the coming season, sometimes the old adage of "don't fix it if it ain't broke" has merit. :wink:

Again great post WMac! I had an R7 Limited driver at one time with the red Matrix stiff shaft. It was a really good driver with low spin and very good distance. It was one of my favorite all time driver/head combo's and like most of us had to try something new and traded it off.

Again great post WMac! I had an R7 Limited driver at one time with the red Matrix stiff shaft. It was a really good driver with low spin and very good distance. It was one of my favorite all time driver/head combo's and like most of us had to try something new and traded it off.

Thanks, OG!

I'm just like most people here, I'm continually looking to find something better. Sometimes, of course, the tried and true is the way to go. The R7 Limited TP is representative of golf equipment in my world. Where I'll never stop trying to find something better, I'll also never get rid of something that's proven itself as a great fit for me.

Along with the Limited, although not presently in the starting satchel I still have a set of Tommy Armour Evo V-31 R.O. "Blades" w/6.0 TFR's, a Callaway Warbird strong-3 w/Grafalloy Prolite Fairway, and a NC Voodoo center-shaft putter. Heck, I even have a HOG 1005D putter that I'll never part with. While these clubs are worthless to most everyone, I played many-a-good-shot and posted some great scores with them. I mean, I have a TON of other clubs, many newer high-profile offerings, but none enjoy the security of those listed.

They get to stay and every now and then, I take them out to see the light of day. :smile:

Last edited:
Back