2011 Cobra S3 Irons Preview

I'd say they are pretty much a club longer than the r7 s. Will have more to report after the round

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'd say they are pretty much a club longer than the r7 s. Will have more to report after the round

Awesome news G4L! Sounds like the snakes are hissing pretty good for you this week? I'm looking forward to more reviews as you play course conditions with these sticks.

OK, time for a recap of the round using the new S3s.

Unfortunately I was not having my best ball striking day ever. Not really surprising I guess with the lack of play in the last couple months. The good news is my lack of solid contact on many iron shots showed the forgiveness of the clubs. A good example was on a par 3 over water. I fatted the tee shot with the 9 iron by a good 2 inches, and the ball mark was well up the club face. Yet, the ball still covered the hazard, coming up just short of the green. I'm sure the R7 would have caused me to re hit. I also caught one 5 iron real skinny on a longer hole when I overswung, and it still traveled out there about 190 yards, with very little sideways movement.

Now, I did hit a few good shots too. For instance, on a 490 Yard Par 5, I hit a good drive just in the rough but with a good slightly uphill lie, leaving me about 185 to the pin. I played for a slight draw due to the uphill lie, aimed at the right edge of the green, and hit a beautiful, high, 5 yard draw that landed center of green 20 feet from the pin. It felt so pure and took off like a missile.

Overall, these clubs inspire confidence at address, and forgive bad shots well. They really do want to launch the ball high, but not at the expense of distance. I was able to work the ball left and right a little bit. These are not the clubs for you if you love to move the ball 20 yards left or right. On a couple occassions I had to hit some low knock downs, and the club responded fine for these. Even the knockdowns though traveled higher than I'm used to with other clubs.

The finish on the clubs, so far, is holding up well too.

To summarize, even though I didn't have my best day hitting the ball at all, these clubs helped me to manage through the round and I still ended up shooting an 83, and that includes three penalty strokes in the mix.

I think these clubs perform well enough to warrant a test drive this year if you're in the market for GI clubs.

Good stuff G4L!

Nice write up G4L. Sounds like they were working well for you and sounds like a good set of irons.

Great stuff G4L!! I'm liking these clubs more and more.

awesome stuff G4L! Looking forward to monitoring your progress with these clubs
OK, time for a recap of the round using the new S3s.

Unfortunately I was not having my best ball striking day ever. Not really surprising I guess with the lack of play in the last couple months. The good news is my lack of solid contact on many iron shots showed the forgiveness of the clubs. A good example was on a par 3 over water. I fatted the tee shot with the 9 iron by a good 2 inches, and the ball mark was well up the club face. Yet, the ball still covered the hazard, coming up just short of the green. I'm sure the R7 would have caused me to re hit. I also caught one 5 iron real skinny on a longer hole when I overswung, and it still traveled out there about 190 yards, with very little sideways movement.

Now, I did hit a few good shots too. For instance, on a 490 Yard Par 5, I hit a good drive just in the rough but with a good slightly uphill lie, leaving me about 185 to the pin. I played for a slight draw due to the uphill lie, aimed at the right edge of the green, and hit a beautiful, high, 5 yard draw that landed center of green 20 feet from the pin. It felt so pure and took off like a missile.

Overall, these clubs inspire confidence at address, and forgive bad shots well. They really do want to launch the ball high, but not at the expense of distance. I was able to work the ball left and right a little bit. These are not the clubs for you if you love to move the ball 20 yards left or right. On a couple occassions I had to hit some low knock downs, and the club responded fine for these. Even the knockdowns though traveled higher than I'm used to with other clubs.

The finish on the clubs, so far, is holding up well too.

To summarize, even though I didn't have my best day hitting the ball at all, these clubs helped me to manage through the round and I still ended up shooting an 83, and that includes three penalty strokes in the mix.

I think these clubs perform well enough to warrant a test drive this year if you're in the market for GI clubs.

Nice write up G4L. Sounds like they were working well for you and sounds like a good set of irons.

Yes, I think they do work well for me based on limited use.

As you know, I'm a BIG fan of the Burner 2.0s from getting to use them at the last outing a couple rounds. But I think these are definitely in the ballpark with the Burners. Hopefully they will be a chance to hit them side by side soon.

If there was any difference between the 2 irons, I'd say these try to launch the ball a bit higher than the Burners. I say this because they are launching high for me, and I have pretty much the heaviest shafts you can get in these puppies right now.

Yes, I think they do work well for me based on limited use.

As you know, I'm a BIG fan of the Burner 2.0s from getting to use them at the last outing a couple rounds. But I think these are definitely in the ballpark with the Burners. Hopefully they will be a chance to hit them side by side soon.

If there was any difference between the 2 irons, I'd say these try to launch the ball a bit higher than the Burners. I say this because they are launching high for me, and I have pretty much the heaviest shafts you can get in these puppies right now.

Interesting for sure. Too bad we have all this nasty snow or a range session would be in order for comparison. Soon hopefully. Hows the feel your getting from them?

Somewhere Ole Gray has a massive grin on his face. Fantastic feedback G4L, I'm glad you are digging the snakes so far.

Somewhere Ole Gray has a massive grin on his face. Fantastic feedback G4L, I'm glad you are digging the snakes so far.

Yeah, he just might :D I am digging them so far, and hopefully further play will bear out the results.

Interesting for sure. Too bad we have all this nasty snow or a range session would be in order for comparison. Soon hopefully. Hows the feel your getting from them?

I think they provide really good feedback. Toe hits, thinned hits, are easily identified in the hands without destroying the results. Like most good clubs, well struck shots feel like butter, and the sound is defintiely pleasing too.

I'd be willing to bet that they're great until those TP's show up, lol

Nah, glad you're getting some golf in dude. I don't mind them, I certainly don't like the yellow and the design on the cavity one bit, but that really has nothing to do with a golf shot.

I think they provide really good feedback. Toe hits, thinned hits, are easily identified in the hands without destroying the results. Like most good clubs, well struck shots feel like butter, and the sound is defintiely pleasing too.

What do you mean by the bolded part? I'm taking there is some vibration up the shaft into your hands?

I'd be willing to bet that they're great until those TP's show up, lol

Nah, glad you're getting some golf in dude. I don't mind them, I certainly don't like the yellow and the design on the cavity one bit, but that really has nothing to do with a golf shot.

haha, now if G4L chooses the S3's over the forged TP's either he's on crack or these are really good irons lol

What do you mean by the bolded part? I'm taking there is some vibration up the shaft into your hands?

I don't want to speak for him what I think what he's saying is that when you do miss hit the ball, the results are pretty good, ie, not destroyed.

haha, now if G4L chooses the S3's over the forged TP's either he's on crack or these are really good irons lol

I'd probably go with what's behind door #1............CRACK!

Nah, I'm just poking fun, idk why either. Mostly b/c it gets some people fiesty, and I like fiesty.

I don't want to speak for him what I think what he's saying is that when you do miss hit the ball, the results are pretty good, ie, not destroyed.

That's what I thought too, but also, on my VRs some bad miss hits just ring off the club and hurt my hands something fierce. I was wondering if these do that too.

I vote crack too

I'd probably go with what's behind door #1............CRACK!

Nah, I'm just poking fun, idk why either. Mostly b/c it gets some people fiesty, and I like fiesty.

well played sir...well played:eyepoke:

Yeah, he just might :D I am digging them so far, and hopefully further play will bear out the results.

yep i am really digging the results and looking forward to testing them down at wpb! I might be on crack too when I wear those low rider drawers while swimming in the pool :D

yep i am really digging the results and looking forward to testing them down at wpb! I might be on crack too when I wear those low rider drawers while swimming in the pool :D

Look gray, I like you and all buddy but thats just crossing line right there. No snakes in the pool haha

That's what I thought too, but also, on my VRs some bad miss hits just ring off the club and hurt my hands something fierce. I was wondering if these do that too.

No, wasn't experiencing any painful vibration, just useful feedback on misshits

No, wasn't experiencing any painful vibration, just useful feedback on misshits

Cool man, thanks.

I have a good buddy who is a golf pro who just swicthed from the AP2's to these S3's because he liked the feel better. I think that speaks volumes.

Back