Is Golf A Sport?

• YES!

Votes: 157 94.6%
  • NO!

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
Really? I guess that says everything it needs to. Enjoy your debate.

Just in case others missed it, this is what Mustng is saying David Ortiz has attributes of.

"speed, agility, quickness, physical endurance, mental toughness, power and competition"

I'm afraid Mustang's argument is now going in a circle.

Let us return to the discussion:
Golf in whatever form it is taken as, is in fact a sport, depending on the individual's definition of the kind of exertion necessary for something to in fact be a sport.

Really? I guess that says everything it needs to. Enjoy your debate.

Just in case others missed it, this is what Mustng is saying David Ortiz has attributes of.

"speed, agility, quickness, physical endurance, mental toughness, power and competition"

To play first base, yes. I have seen him make plays in the field before JB. If you dont see him having the speed, agility, quickness, power, or physical endurance to hit a fast ball over the fence more often than most do at his profession. I think he has been one of the best hitters in the past decade, no? So many are impressed with Bubba, J. Vegas, J.B. Holmes, that ball is standing still....and yes it very impressive to hit a ball that far, but alot of recreational golfers can hit the ball that far, given those same conditions, most recreational baseball players cannot hit 100+ mph fastballs 400+ ft

Outside of the whole mustang unbelievable arguement thing I really think this needs to be said

People calling Golf not a sport doesnt make the Game of Golf any less difficult, serious, or weak. They arent disrespecting the game.

To me, a sport requires physical activity. Poker-No. Racing-Yes. Ballroom dancing-No. Hunting-dont know, never been. Pool-No.

GOLF-YES.

Whoa! I'm not even sure what to say at this point. On the one hand, we have a dude, who's clearly believing what he believes, and that's cool. And on the other hand, we have everyone else, lol. That pretty much sums it up to me.

If you say accuracy isnt, than speed isnt either.
speed isnt an athletic trait?

Accuracy is the timing of abilities to achieve a certain grade on evaluation. ie timing the transition, clearing of the hips, and recoil on a golfswing.

So is speed. ie timing of the weight shift, legs, arms, and breathing to achieve a certain on grade evaluation.

I wouldnt die, I wouldnt drive that fast and everyone would lap me. Racing is not a sport.

No you would wreck within 2 laps because you could not get out of the way quick enough, LOL.

speed isnt an athletic trait?

Nope! I was an athlete, but never was I fast. I had to use intellect and hard work to be good at sports. Clearly, you my friend are an athlete, that's the one thing I've gotten from your posts. You played college ball, as did your brother and your dad and god knows who else in your superior bloodlines. However, you don't know many of our backgrounds, you don't know if some of us played collegiately, professionally, whatever. You are extremely jaded in your argument b/c you aren't open to new information, you have your heels dug in and you aren't moving. I don't understand why, but it is what it is, and it doesn't bother me, but to say that golf isn't a sport is just something that I cannot comprehend. It takes physical exertion and a mental toughness. Do you agree?

Wait, so if you play college sports that means everything you say is true? :alien:

No not to me it doesnt but according to msntg5 it does, there is no need for words to be put in my mouth :clown:

Nope! I was an athlete, but never was I fast. I had to use intellect and hard work to be good at sports. Clearly, you my friend are an athlete, that's the one thing I've gotten from your posts. You played college ball, as did your brother and your dad and god knows who else in your superior bloodlines.

I think his bloodlines run all the way back to george clooney, he was pretty good in leatherheads.

To play first base, yes. I have seen him make plays in the field before JB. If you dont see him having the speed, agility, quickness, power, or physical endurance to hit a fast ball over the fence more often than most do at his profession. I think he has been one of the best hitters in the past decade, no? So many are impressed with Bubba, J. Vegas, J.B. Holmes, that ball is standing still....and yes it very impressive to hit a ball that far, but alot of recreational golfers can hit the ball that far, given those same conditions, most recreational baseball players cannot hit 100+ mph fastballs 400+ ft

Let me know how his fielding looks this season during your scouting report okay? Or last season. or the season before that.

I have never said MLB was not a hard sport or heck even a harder sport. For that matter I have never said Golf was or was not a sport. But your arguments here seem to bounce off of each other constantly.

Whoa! I'm not even sure what to say at this point. On the one hand, we have a dude, who's clearly believing what he believes, and that's cool. And on the other hand, we have everyone else, lol. That pretty much sums it up to me.

Actually six people agree, im just the only one bored at work and like having debates because I truthfully dont care, it clearly makes people on this forum feel good to say they are playing a sport, kool with me, my opinion is that its not, not a shocker that on a golf forum majority of people think golf is a sport, who wouldve thunk such a thing? never said the game of golf wasnt challenging or difficult, just in my opinion, not a sport. get over it. i see some of you guys take your "sport" seriously and dont want it not considered a "sport", sorry to hurt your egos.

Mustng5, I appreciate the effort you're putting into your side of the debate. You say non-athletes can be great golfers, you were a collegiate athlete, so surely you should easily be playing on the PGA Tour?

If you dont care, why are you still arguing?

*insert picture of ugly toy child with big eyes and bad haircut here*

Actually six people agree, im just the only one bored at work and like having debates because I truthfully dont care, it clearly makes people on this forum feel good to say they are playing a sport, kool with me, my opinion is that its not, not a shocker that on a golf forum majority of people think golf is a sport, who wouldve thunk such a thing? never said the game of golf wasnt challenging or difficult, just in my opinion, not a sport. get over it. i see some of you guys take your "sport" seriously and dont want it not considered a "sport", sorry to hurt your egos.

Last edited:
The same could be said for football. Go out and throw a ball, get drunk, and tackle your friends.

You cannot compare recreational golf with professional football just like you cannot compare recreational football to tour level golf.

uh oh, now he's talking about me in my younger days :D

We have mods to handle when things get out of hand.

There is no reason for name calling or pictures of trolls.

Nope! I was an athlete, but never was I fast. I had to use intellect and hard work to be good at sports. Clearly, you my friend are an athlete, that's the one thing I've gotten from your posts. You played college ball, as did your brother and your dad and god knows who else in your superior bloodlines. However, you don't know many of our backgrounds, you don't know if some of us played collegiately, professionally, whatever. You are extremely jaded in your argument b/c you aren't open to new information, you have your heels dug in and you aren't moving. I don't understand why, but it is what it is, and it doesn't bother me, but to say that golf isn't a sport is just something that I cannot comprehend. It takes physical exertion and a mental toughness. Do you agree?

Mental toughness yes, physical exhertion to play one round of golf, in my opinion, no. Please I never said superior bloodlines or anything of the sort and the poster i replied to with that comment has already stated that he understood that i was relating it to the mental aspect, do not mock my family. And TC, why dont you tell me the sports you played and such, since you said I havent asked anyone.

Jeez dude, it's one thing to be bored at work and to have a debate and it's another thing to be stirring up sh*t. That's what you're really good at. I'm sure if stirring up sh*t, handling sh*t, talking sh*t was a sport, you'd a played that in college too. We aren't the ones with the ego homey, you are. What kind of satisfaction are you getting from this? Clearly, you like golf, you are on a golf forum to, you like your equipment, and you like posting. For the life of me I can't figure out why you are so adament that golf isn't a sport? Because there's no running, or hitting, or two a days? Golfers put in just as much work as other professional athletes and I can assure you that their off season is a lot shorter as well. Golfers earn their money, they have to excel to make money, they have to be the best. Look at fat Albert Haynesworth, he sure did earn that paycheck this year huh? What a work ethic!! What an athlete!!!

Mustng5, I appreciate the effort you're putting into your side of the debate. You say non-athletes can be great golfers, you were a collegiate athlete, so surely you should easily be playing on the PGA Tour?

I never said that, show me the quote where I said that. Dont interpret what I said to fit your point.

You guys are confusing why i used that reference. The best golfers make the fewest mistakes more than they pull off the best shots, I never debated the mental of golf, not once. I simply said golf is not a sport and all of you are upset. Let me say this, golf requires no athleticism to be good at.

Golf requires No athleticism to be good at it ??? Now even i am at a loss for words i have never read anything that is more of a false statement than that.

While I do think Golf is a sport as I have said before, I think that is where the line must be drawn in the sand. I hate seeing poker, Car racing, Curling, ect being called sports. That is not saying they are not hard, curling is very very hard, but at some point you go from sport to skilled game and I offer that anything less "athletic" than golf is a skilled game and not a sport, thoughts?

I never said that, show me the quote where I said that. Dont interpret what I said to fit your point.

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Jeez dude, it's one thing to be bored at work and to have a debate and it's another thing to be stirring up sh*t. That's what you're really good at. I'm sure if stirring up sh*t, handling sh*t, talking sh*t was a sport, you'd a played that in college too. We aren't the ones with the ego homey, you are. What kind of satisfaction are you getting from this? Clearly, you like golf, you are on a golf forum to, you like your equipment, and you like posting. For the life of me I can't figure out why you are so adament that golf isn't a sport? Because there's no running, or hitting, or two a days? Golfers put in just as much work as other professional athletes and I can assure you that their off season is a lot shorter as well. Golfers earn their money, they have to excel to make money, they have to be the best. Look at fat Albert Haynesworth, he sure did earn that paycheck this year huh? What a work ethic!! What an athlete!!!

+1, rep added.

Back