Anyone play with cheaters?

If I am playing in a round that isn't a tourney. And I do terribly on a hole I may stop counting when I hit the ESC. However if there is money on the line or even beer I would never do that.

I am probably guilty of cheating a bit myself. I tend to move my ball out of a near unplayable (rocks/roots) to a little bit more playable (hard dirt/out of rocks). I dont normally count a stroke on these. The reason I move the ball a bit is simply this: I payed a lot for my clubs (was in college when i bought them so even more special), I really want them to last a good 15 years. I've never heard anyone scoff or complain when I move out of a lie like that.

Would this be something people would get upset about?

Not on a regular basis. Of course there are the one's in our group we know are going to take a mully a side and a 5' gimme every now and then. The worst for me was last fall when I was paired up with two guys I've never met at the Carolina Club in Grandy. They claimed more pars than anyone I've ever played with!

I am probably guilty of cheating a bit myself. I tend to move my ball out of a near unplayable (rocks/roots) to a little bit more playable (hard dirt/out of rocks). I dont normally count a stroke on these. The reason I move the ball a bit is simply this: I payed a lot for my clubs (was in college when i bought them so even more special), I really want them to last a good 15 years. I've never heard anyone scoff or complain when I move out of a lie like that.

In a regular round "not betting but keeping track for hdcp" if there are loose rocks or a "stray" root that will break or damage a club or wrist even. I will move the ball or debris so I can play the same shot, never to an advantage other than not breaking a club or wrist though. 99% of the time I'm chipping a 4i on this one back to the fairway so it's not like I get to go for the green by doing so. My course has a cart path relief rule, and the rocks/ gravel are from this path. If I was betting I'd never make a guy hit into a loose rock, the root thing would depend on the specifics, I wouldn't expect free relief there myself.

Yes I am....but I still had a 6!

In a regular round "not betting but keeping track for hdcp" if there are loose rocks or a "stray" root that will break or damage a club or wrist even. I will move the ball or debris so I can play the same shot, never to an advantage other than not breaking a club or wrist though. 99% of the time I'm chipping a 4i on this one back to the fairway so it's not like I get to go for the green by doing so. My course has a cart path relief rule, and the rocks/ gravel are from this path. If I was betting I'd never make a guy hit into a loose rock, the root thing would depend on the specifics, I wouldn't expect free relief there myself.

I normally move it 2 feet at most. Not like I'm giving myself a nice fluffy lie or taking it out of a divot. I just dont want to damage my clubs. Since I dont really play in tournaments (other than a couple scrambles) I personally dont think it matters that much.

Only if you brag about how you beat me by less than the amount of strokes you would have been penalized.

I normally move it 2 feet at most. Not like I'm giving myself a nice fluffy lie or taking it out of a divot. I just dont want to damage my clubs. Since I dont really play in tournaments (other than a couple scrambles) I personally dont think it matters that much.
For me its the length of a shoe, otherwise it is a drop. Thats just the way I cheat though.:D

I always figure the golfing gods will dump all over the people that cheat, making them suck so bad that they give up the game sooner or later. Good karma on the golf course comes to people that do good things, not from cheaters. I know I'm not taking any chances.

I have but not on purpose. remember I'm old & killed a few brain cells in my time. lol
Anyone I'm playin with @ the Outing or ever golf with, if I give a wrong score please call me out on it.

I have but not on purpose. remember I'm old & killed a few brain cells in my time. lol
Anyone I'm playin with @ the Outing, if I give a wrong score please tell me.
We had to cheat last weekend as all the goose poop you could hardly find a clean spot to hit from so that you wouldnt splatter yourself with goose POO :D

Cheating like this only sets them up for miserable failure, i played with a guy that talked so much smack before the round, about the low scores he had been shooting, so i challenged him a 50 dollar walk-off at the course of his choice. We are on the tee waiting to tee off and he informs me he wants to do a 10 dollar walk off instead. I accepted without thinking... needless to say i shot 73 (par 72) and this amazing golfer who had shot close to par every round he told me about ended up firing a dainty 89. The 10 dollar bet ended up still making me close to 40 dollars, but i cant imagine what the 50 dollar bet would have done. I love people who lie then get smoked!

Not really, but I could care less. There is nothing on the line against me.

we have a young kid at our club who cheats. Hes actually a very good player and has no need to cheat. Its really sad

Cheating like this only sets them up for miserable failure, i played with a guy that talked so much smack before the round, about the low scores he had been shooting, so i challenged him a 50 dollar walk-off at the course of his choice. We are on the tee waiting to tee off and he informs me he wants to do a 10 dollar walk off instead. I accepted without thinking... needless to say i shot 73 (par 72) and this amazing golfer who had shot close to par every round he told me about ended up firing a dainty 89. The 10 dollar bet ended up still making me close to 40 dollars, but i cant imagine what the 50 dollar bet would have done. I love people who lie then get smoked!

Cheaters and people who lie about the handicaps all get exposed at some point. The best advice I ever got 35 years ago was to "let someone else brag about my score"

I train caddies at the course i work at being a veteran looper, and i was walking with this rookie 2 years ago that was amazing. A member snapped a drive left on our 15 hole that has a similar line to 18 at pebble, except its only 350 yards and has a river instead of an ocean. I knew the ball was out and told my player to hit another ball cuz it was out. we walked over to do a check just in case for a ricochet. The kid took a ball out of the bag i was carrying dropped it, and said "Found it". I couldnt believe my eyes after i told him he couldnt do that, he explained to me that it is how his dad and he play golf. I said well your dad isnt playing you for alot of money like these guys are doing, so keep your hands in your pockets for the next 4 holes. Needless to say he did keep his hands in his pockets, and didnt come back lol

If they don't know the rules then they are not cheating. It is up to you to fill them in on the rules of the game. Good Luck!
I actually played with a guy that cheated so bad in a south florida event he lost his job and was banned from taking his PAT for 5 years. It killed me because he took his playing partner down with him. The kid was really dumb, the scorer. The cheater got what he deserved.

Is it not a dads job to teach his kid the right way to do thing? i mean i can understand not explaining rules to kids under 8 cuz they wont focus, but this kid was 13 you know right and wrong by then

I train caddies at the course i work at being a veteran looper, and i was walking with this rookie 2 years ago that was amazing. A member snapped a drive left on our 15 hole that has a similar line to 18 at pebble, except its only 350 yards and has a river instead of an ocean. I knew the ball was out and told my player to hit another ball cuz it was out. we walked over to do a check just in case for a ricochet. The kid took a ball out of the bag i was carrying dropped it, and said "Found it". I couldnt believe my eyes after i told him he couldnt do that, he explained to me that it is how his dad and he play golf. I said well your dad isnt playing you for alot of money like these guys are doing, so keep your hands in your pockets for the next 4 holes. Needless to say he did keep his hands in his pockets, and didnt come back lol

Haha that is Terrible. I once got fired halfway through the loop cuz I wouldn't do that. It's tough as a caddie dealing with people like that.
I had to swallow my pride though regarding people who like to "fluff" their lie. I don't believe in it but it's tough telling your player to stop. You want to make "some" kind of tip at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll never forget my tourney i caddied in, a member was penalized on a hole for fluffing his lie, he loses the hole and gets mad the rest of the round. The match reaches the 15th hole and he hits a bad shot from a bad lie and throws his wedge it bounces and hits the caddie (not that hard more of an accident). The match continues to the 18th whole which is 600 yards away from where the club was thrown. The member is ready for his shot and asks where the wedge is to the caddie, and the caddie answers (back where you threw it at me) the member hit a different club, finished the hole, lost the match then drove to get the club. The caddie got paid and nothing was ever said. Dude knew he was wrong

I'll never forget my tourney i caddied in, a member was penalized on a hole for fluffing his lie, he loses the hole and gets mad the rest of the round. The match reaches the 15th hole and he hits a bad shot from a bad lie and throws his wedge it bounces and hits the caddie (not that hard more of an accident). The match continues to the 18th whole which is 600 yards away from where the club was thrown. The member is ready for his shot and asks where the wedge is to the caddie, and the caddie answers (back where you threw it at me) the member hit a different club, finished the hole, lost the match then drove to get the club. The caddie got paid and nothing was ever said. Dude knew he was wrong

as a former caddie, that is a story brought down from the heavens for my enjoyment. Already gave rep today but I'll get ya later.

It was so classic, and the best part of the story Snap is that the member was a prick, so he didnt have other member support. The caddie was like a hero

There is a lady at my club who I do not like to play with. She always magically finds her ball right outside of the hazard line... I just ignore her shenanigans.

We had a woman that was so handicap concious that once she knocked her bag over on her ball so she could get a penalty and post a higher score... I think her husband taught her that move because he was a sandbagger too!

It was so classic, and the best part of the story Snap is that the member was a prick, so he didnt have other member support. The caddie was like a hero

He's my hero now cuz I wouldn't have the balls to do that. I had to call a penalty once on a member during the club championship. Dude missed the final day by two strokes. Thought he was gonna kill me, what I didn't know was he was the coach for the local juco basketball team. He pulled me aside after the round and said "I f-cking hate you but you did tue right thing"

That's the NICEST story I've got. Sadly.

Back