TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

More shots? Yes.
Better shots? I dont know as of yet.
Consistency? Not sure on that one either.

See, I like this approach man, I have to be honest. You take your time, you formulate, then you try to execute, and most importantly, you look at what they provide for YOUR game before making any sort of changes.

Thanks for the kind words. Its really not something I try to do on the course all that much unless needed. I am not a large "shot shaper" but it is good to know that these gave me no problem in doing so. One thing that they did do quite easily that I am a big fan of was changing the ball height. Depending on the green, the conditions, etc...I do like to lower the ball flight from time to time and these did that exceptionally well. And better than my current irons.

Not sure they are going in the bag just yet, working on distances this week and will no more then.

you arent a fan of working the ball unless you need to throw out a rope hook around a tree that resembles the ball flight of a boomerang.

I hear exactly what you are saying, lower and higher ball flight is the extent of my workability. I did try to hit a draw on hole number 1 last friday and you should have seen how gorgeous the ball flight was, albeit a fade :banghead: TC and THainer asked me what the hell I was doing, I told them a faded draw that faded way to much...got some laughs out of that.

I love reading this thread. I really want to give these a good tryout but TC made a great point when he said "taking your time". I've always made real quick decisions because of love on first hit. These iron reviews in the CB thread are really making think twice but in a good way. I like the variety of different games using these clubs because it really gives a whole spectrum of opinions which only helps those of us looking in.

Main things I'm looking at in these reviews is ballflight, forgiveness and feel. I'm getting a really good idea of that from all of you.

yeah I want to take these on the course this weekend and try exactly this......I want to get back to focusing on contact with the ball first, and a smooth swing instead of trying to get max distance out of these. Hopefully I'll see better results this time around
I love reading this thread. I really want to give these a good tryout but TC made a great point when he said "taking your time". I've always made real quick decisions because of love on first hit. These iron reviews in the CB thread are really making think twice but in a good way. I like the variety of different games using these clubs because it really gives a whole spectrum of opinions which only helps those of us looking in.

Main things I'm looking at in these reviews is ballflight, forgiveness and feel. I'm getting a really good idea of that from all of you.

I hope you get some good swings in Hanks. I really love reading this thread.

yeah I want to take these on the course this weekend and try exactly this......I want to get back to focusing on contact with the ball first, and a smooth swing instead of trying to get max distance out of these. Hopefully I'll see better results this time around

And I bet that when you do focus on that, then you will naturally see some nice distances out of them.

good buddy, if you have any specific questions ask anytime. I would agree, dont just jump in and buy them, hit them and make a sound decision. But I think many people will really like these.

I am really nervous about hitting these at the demo day. I really do love my R9s, but these just sound to good! I so want a club that cuts through the turf like butter.

I am really nervous about hitting these at the demo day. I really do love my R9s, but these just sound to good! I so want a club that cuts through the turf like butter.

Dont be nervous, its just $1000

Dont be nervous, its just $1000

An my marriage. HAHA

Edit: That would be $2000 for the clubs.

$1000 for the clubs and a $1000 shopping spree for my wife.

but you may not have a wife any more when you buy these so you're essentially saving $1,000....sound rationale to me :good:
An my marriage. HAHA

Edit: That would be $2000 for the clubs.

$1000 for the clubs and a $1000 shopping spree for my wife.

but you may not have a wife any more when you buy these so you're essentially saving $1,000....sound rationale to me :good:

That is so true. I would have more time for golf to. hhhhhhhmmmmm

well, I truly think that once people hit these and see how they feel and the ball flight that the price will no longer be as much of an issue

well, I truly think that once people hit these and see how they feel and the ball flight that the price will no longer be as much of an issue

Good point, plus the fact that once they hit them, which means they get to hear them and feel them, then they'll instantly be looking at their existing irons and putting a price tag on them.

Have I said lately how much I want these?

That is a good thing for TM, but a bad thing for our wallets. hehe

I need to win the lottery so I can just buy whatever clubs work great on the spot.

I disagree. I mean these are great irons, and a set that I want more than any other club out there, but working in a golf store I see performance sacrificed for price 75% of the time.

Good point, plus the fact that once they hit them, which means they get to hear them and feel them, then they'll instantly be looking at their existing irons and putting a price tag on them.

Have I said lately how much I want these?

You want these? I agree, I mean someone can seel old clubs for lets say $350 and that makes these irons that much more affordable.

I disagree. I mean these are great irons, and a set that I want more than any other club out there, but working in a golf store I see performance sacrificed for price 75% of the time.

I agree that price is a big issue which is why I said it wont be as much of an issue. But, you hit them, when you pure these the ball flight is something to write home about

One-T/Others, what do ya'll think about the mix and match possibilities....i.e. buying the MC's/MB's in the PW-8i and then finishing the set with the 7i-4i? Do you think people will do this? I plan to have these irons for a very long time so am looking at this as a very real possibility but is there a downside to this thought.

One-T/Others, what do ya'll think about the mix and match possibilities....i.e. buying the MC's/MB's in the PW-8i and then finishing the set with the 7i-4i? Do you think people will do this? I plan to have these irons for a very long time so am looking at this as a very real possibility but is there a downside to this thought.

Nate, I have not hit the other irons yet(MC, MB) so it really is hard for me to say. But then I start to wonder what the point of that is because I hit these CB's so well, why would I change it up? I am hitting the ball straight and high, which are 2 properties I really want in my scoring irons. So, to answer your question, I would not do it. But, I think if playing a "players" iron is what you want, then I would say YES, do it. If you want that MC or MB in your scoring irons then I think it would be a smart move to have the CB in your longer irons just to give that added forgiveness. I am a weekend golfer, I do not hit the sweet spot on every swing, so I feel if I can get some kind of an advantage in this oh so frustrating game then I am taking it!

I personally wouldn't even consider it, but I know there are people who might. I find the scoring irons to be great and don't see a need to change them in any way, but that's just me.

It might take away frome the benefits the set....your long irons, mid-irons, and scoring irons would obviously all be different and produce different results where a uniform set may producr more consistent results

It might take away frome the benefits the set....your long irons, mid-irons, and scoring irons would obviously all be different and produce different results where a uniform set may producr more consistent results

While I think many times I agree in theory, if you watch the video we shot at the PGA Show, they addressed this specifically as this set was designed with this very thing in mind.

I think this is a great question. The setup possiblities could be endless and a person could really setup their whole game. I'd love to hear how that came out.

totally agree. I was more thinking from a high level and didn't do a good job in clarifying that, sorry. This set would be an exception to the 'rule' I think

While I think many times I agree in theory, if you watch the video we shot at the PGA Show, they addressed this specifically as this set was designed with this very thing in mind.

Back