Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Did you see my posts there, or did I post on the wrong page as well?

I saw your posts on the proper facebook page Ron. It was funny because I thought about sending you guys a little PM to remind you to post on their FB page and all along I was the dope not doing it. I was posting to the Wilson Golf page.

You will if you ever switch irons again. I know its about lofts, but tell me that when you have to hit a 5 iron instead of a 6 or 7 iron. It DOES make a difference to me in my game.

As much as folks want to talk about how things are just stronger lofted, I agree with you JB, ultimately, we pull an iron with a # stamped on it from our bag, not an iron with a loft # stamped on the bottom of it.

I think it makes a mental difference for many and their games. Plus, aren't irons like your 8-PW going to decrease the amount of lateral movement on a golf ball?

It took me a while, but I found a set of these at Edwinn Watts in Knoxville. I am making a point to drive over and check them out based on the excellent reviews. You guys are doing a great job.

Great news cf if nashville's E.W. doesnt have them yet i will take the hour and a half drive up there, i AM going to hit these SOON.

After tonights range session I won't even be crying when shipping. The 11's just do everything the Pings do and maybe even better. Went to the range with the sole purpose of hitting fades. Warmed up with some wedges and was not hitting them well. Of course the doubt crept in and I was thinking I had put the FS thread up too early. Moved onto my mid irons and started striping the ball. There is a flag that is a perfect 7 iron and I was hitting some decent shots at it. Pulled the 6 iron and started thinking fade. First few shots were not successful. Started getting a picture of Bubba in my head and how open he leaves his feet. So I really opened up my feet and put the pull way up in my stance and BOOM perfect fade right onto the green. Proceeded to hit fade after fade right at this green. Not every shot was perfect but I felt like I got real good contact on each shot. Sometimes my alignment was off and I would miss the green. Started mixing it up and hitting draw and fade shots and did pretty well. Really enjoyed this range session.

It so awesome how Bubba can motivate you and he's not even there. Keep up the good review work.

Yeah Bubba is da man. I have never seen anyone take a stance so wide open which is what I started doing. Now on the course for some reason this did not work. Or maybe I should say it worked too well. Back to the range to do some work.

Another range session with the Di11's today and it was by far the best yet. My swing was really grooved and I felt strong today for some reason and the ball was just flying for me. The sound of the ball off the club face of these is just solid, with a powerful vacant feeling when you catch the ball in sweetspot. Today I was seeing crazy distances from all the irons, even in the cold temps we have here now, 6-iron 5 yards short of the 190 flag all carry..what? I don't normally hit a 6 iron that far and that was just with a smooth even tempo swing which these shafts require. Make an aggresive move at the ball and the results will be poor. I have come to love the ball flight that these irons provide, high but without balloning and because of the trajectory you can hold greens with mid and long irons.
Some people have had concerns about the length of the shafts on these but I got mine a half inch long and I am having no trouble with shaft length, to be honest, I don't even think about it anymore. The lofts are strong as everyone has mentioned, but the irons get the ball up quick so without knowing your would never guess that you are playing with really strong lofts. While I'm hitting my 7 iron further than any other 7 iron I have ever hit, lets chaulk that up to the strong lofts and longer shafts, I'm also hitting it as high as I would normally hit a 9 iron. Its almost a contradiction, but one that I love.
The 4-iron is still just magic for me, the ball just goes forever, with a high trajectory and today was probably only landing 5 yards short of my M3. The honeymoon period with these irons are now over, and we are now blissfully married.

You know CB, you just pointed out something that I hadn't even thought about until now. I've been hitting these in 50 and under temps and getting incredible distance from them. I am now seriously interested to see what these baby's are going to do when it's 70-80 out and the ball isn't like hitting a pool ball.

I may have said this before, but the more I read this thread, the more I want to try these irons again. You all are doing an amazing job on these reviews.

I hit these today at Edwinn Watts. I have to say, they are now on my short list of irons to buy.

So I just got back from the range and had a rough time of it. First of all I decided to bring a few of the Pings along. Wanted to see the differences in how they felt and the distances. Plus I had the 2 boys in tow. That was a big mistake. I just can't concentrate when they decide to start running around. Had a tough time finding a good rhythm tonight. Feel like I'm chunking shots more and more. My wedges were on fire again though. Really feel like I'm dialing them in. Once again I have to say these may be my favorite "set" wedges I've ever played. I'm just going to chalk this up as a bad swing night. But I feel like I want to come on here and say when I have bad nights because I know I LOVE to come on here when I have had good nights.

I hit these today at Edwinn Watts. I have to say, they are now on my short list of irons to buy.

Thats awesome Clam, which irons did you hit?

You mean you still have a list after hitting these?

I feel bad for OEM Kevin at this point. I've been on the long end of waiting for some stuff to show up for testing. His job as a tester has gotten more and more difficult b/c you guys have been doing a great job.

I feel bad for OEM Kevin at this point. I've been on the long end of waiting for some stuff to show up for testing. His job as a tester has gotten more and more difficult b/c you guys have been doing a great job.

I feel bad for me too. I mean Im sure the irons will show up but Im not sure I can bring it like these dudes have been doing. You guys are doing a great job.

Thats awesome Clam, which irons did you hit?

I hit the uniflex and the combo shaft 7 irons. I found the uniflex to be more to my liking. I didnt have a lot of time with either one. I spent some time with a M3 mashie too:act-up:

well after reading this entire thread...and playing the di7's for the past few years...i pulled the trigger on a set of di11's (without seeing them in person yet!) with the uniflex steel shaft...they will be here sometime next week...to bad there is about 2 feet of snow everywhere i look...review to follow in about a month.

Outstanding Hort!! I think you are going to love them. Guy I played with last week also had the Di7's in his bag and when he took some swings with my 11's his face lit up. I really look forward to your review

well after reading this entire thread...and playing the di7's for the past few years...i pulled the trigger on a set of di11's (without seeing them in person yet!) with the uniflex steel shaft...they will be here sometime next week...to bad there is about 2 feet of snow everywhere i look...review to follow in about a month.

Hell you're only an 6 hour drive away you should come down in May and play with us and we can see how the steel shaft compare with the half and half shafts

Yeah Bubba is da man. I have never seen anyone take a stance so wide open which is what I started doing. Now on the course for some reason this did not work. Or maybe I should say it worked too well. Back to the range to do some work.

Nowonder why your game is struggling buckaroo!!!!!!

CB, CL, Ron, excellent work so far. These irons look great and they seem to be performing great too. Gotta love it!

Congrats hort i gamed the Di7's for almost a year before moving to the Ci9's. I havent regretted it but, the Di7's are awesome and i've even brought them outta retirement for 2 or 3 rounds. I will be anxious to hear how different the 11's are from 7's.

When you get them, jump in this thread and give some reviews. Looking forward to it.

wow congrats on the new sticks! I hope you give us some thoughts when they arrive.

Great stuff Hort, I know you are going to love them. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, when you get them especially because you were gaming the Di7's. Going to hit up the range today and get some more work in on the irons.

Back