Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure do Dent, and I think it's great that you can be honest about it. I'd never had W/S on my radar until I attended a demo day last year. The rep was the nicest of all the reps there and when I hit the Ci9 irons, I was blown away.

Ya I have heard great things about Wilson's irons. I'll be sure to give them a demo. In fact I should add a goal this year to try everything.

Freaking HOF post right there. I think everybody is like that to the extent. In a large generalization, there are two types of equipment buyers. Those that want the unique to say they are different (Miura, Japanese stuff, odd, etc...) and those that want the latest and most hyped (see midnight R11 buyers) etc...

Exactly. I think a lot of guys buy clubs to get the oohs and awws at the course. They use them as more of a showcase to show maybe perhaps how much they spend on their bag, or how good they are to be playing blades, TP drivers etc etc. I myself am not one of those guys but am a guy who sees an ad on TV for the hottest driver out there and want it.

I bet if you took a Wilson driver, marketed the crap out of it and called it the next best thing I'd want it. Like I said before I need to start experimenting what is best for my game and not worrying about what is "claimed" as the best.

This is exactly why we do the THP Demo Day. If someone would have told me last year before the demo day that a hybrid from Cleveland Golf would have been the hands down winner for most sought after club, I would have smacked you. I would have said "Are you on pot?". No way!

Yet when you take loyalties out of it and just let people hit everything side by side with no commercials, no reps, a launch monitor, and others watching....Its amazing what comes out.

We're all victims of marketing and what's the next big things, hence the reason I have a R11 coming. I couldn't stand it. No one is being crucified for it. It feels good to come clean. Anyone who was on this forum last year can tell you just how much I love the Ci9 irons but you know what? They never made it into my bag. That says it all.

This is exactly why we do the THP Demo Day. If someone would have told me last year before the demo day that a hybrid from Cleveland Golf would have been the hands down winner for most sought after club, I would have smacked you. I would have said "Are you on pot?". No way!

Yet when you take loyalties out of it and just let people hit everything side by side with no commercials, no reps, a launch monitor, and others watching....Its amazing what comes out.

BOOM!

You're right too JB. I'll never forget watching you guys hit the Mashie for the first time. The expressions and words I heard were outstanding.

there is prob plenty of pot in hole-out-1983's couch!

When I was testing every iron out there before I bought my new set, I thought I demo'ed everything and after a ton of testing I ended up buying my hands down favorite, the burner 2.0's. I said at the time it would take a company to make something pretty special to get those out of my bag. Well 4 months later, they are sold, and I'm playing a set of irons that were released at the time I bought my burners (I think) and I never thought to demo them. I know now that I demo'ed every iron I could think of...that I saw on tv.

That holds especially true with brands that are just coming into thier own within certain categorys. A brand that had never really been known for performance in a certain area is definatley going to have a hard time getting clubs in peoples hands to prove what it can actually do. And like you said the THP demo does just that but unfortunatley there are a large number of players that may never really have the oppurtunity to partake in a large scale demo let alone with a large variety of brands. For instance in my area if you happen to see a demo day your going to be hitting one maybe two different brands at the most.

It goes a step further if you look at wedges and putters.

Oh if you are talking putters then I am a complete brand *****. No doubt about it.

That's another huge one, How many people can you count that play Vokeys over TW9's because it's Titleist. It goes with almost every club. You make a great point with the demo day too JB. I think that is the hands down best place on earth to get the best comparison.

Whatever, my wedges are forged and offer a buttery feel, back up off me! :alien:

I can honestly tell ou that I bought my wedges b/c they were cheap and my putter is my putter b/c it was what I was fit for.

Oh if you are talking putters then I am a complete brand *****. No doubt about it.

Scotty Cameron and Vokey FTW

That's another huge one, How many people can you count that play Vokeys over TW9's because it's Titleist. It goes with almost every club. You make a great point with the demo day too JB. I think that is the hands down best place on earth to get the best comparison.

Whatever, my wedges are forged and offer a buttery feel, back up off me! :alien:

I can honestly tell ou that I bought my wedges b/c they were cheap and my putter is my putter b/c it was what I was fit for.

And I am not just speaking about Vokey, Cleveland, Cameron, or Bettinardi.

But truth be told, there are millions that would never pick up a TW9 or a Heavy Wedge or a Cleveland Classic putter. Why? Because they dont know them, they are not marketed, or they dont see them on TV. I watched the THP Demo Day and this was with EDUCATED consumers and the brand side of things was still there. We are programmed, like it or not.

I had seen the Tw9 at a store near me and thought it was nice looking, I talked to OEM the day I bought one. I really liked that wedge a lot.

The Vokey commercials said they offered the most wedge spin out of any wedge, so they must be right.

I'd like to pose that question to everyone.

I hear great things about the Wilson Staff line. Unfortunately I do not see it out here int he Southern California marketplace. The label on the club does not matter to much as much as the effect the club has on the course. I buy clubs that make my game better period.

I'm stuck between CG16's and Di11's not sure which way i'm going to go yet

Those are two very good choices. Looks wise I might lean towards the Di11's actually. Performance is close though. If all things are considered, you have to look at the price difference too, which is in favor of the Di11's

Those are two very good choices. Looks wise I might lean towards the Di11's actually. Performance is close though. If all things are considered, you have to look at the price difference too, which is in favor of the Di11's

My wife agrees with the tail end of this thanks OEM decision is made

Back to the CG16's for pondering mode. I really liked the feel of them which was a bit suprising given they're distance irons/using Mizzie irons. Definately think Cleveland has a winner and perhaps a spot in the bag...

Back to the CG16's for pondering mode. I really liked the feel of them which was a bit suprising given they're distance irons/using Mizzie irons. Definately think Cleveland has a winner and perhaps a spot in the bag...
I've had CG'S in my bad for the last 10+ yrs , but its time to move on . I cant be one dimentional any more , Although they have treated me well

Ive hit both and you cant go wrong. The CG16's are long and forgiving. The Di11's might be even longer and just as forgiving. And I think Di11's are very very good looking. But so are the CG16's in the dark finish.

Ive hit both and you cant go wrong. The CG16's are long and forgiving. The Di11's might be even longer and just as forgiving. And I think Di11's are very very good looking. But so are the CG16's in the dark finish.

The di11's are really nice looking that is a big part of my decision makeing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back