TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Thanks JB!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

These irons offer an intriguing option. Superb feel and precision on one hand but a full club to maybe even more of less distance. They do have a lot going for them but giving up that distance is a huge negative in my book.

These irons offer an intriguing option. Superb feel and precision on one hand but a full club to maybe even more of less distance. They do have a lot going for them but giving up that distance is a huge negative in my book.

I am starting to come around to that line of thinking Kev. I have really enjoyed pulling shorter irons while testing the Di11's. For me, the difference is very noticeable starting at the 5 iron. If I can pull a 6 iron instead of a 5 iron I am far more likely to have confident thoughts swirling around in my noggin. Positive thoughts lead to good shots in my experience.

Great info, JB. Definitely agree that these irons punish shots high on the face. As for the distance loss, I haven't seen much, if any, difference from what I've used last year. That said, my swing has changed since then.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

when I played my first round with these I felt like I was losing some distance but since then I feel like they are right on with my CG7's. Of course I need more rounds with them to really gauge my distances but I am not seeing a distance loss. I did get a Burner 6 iron that I should receieve here soon so I plan on hitting the 6's side by side to let you all know what I am seeing.

The one thing I'd say is that I do think it would be hard to go from an iron that you hit as far as a 2.0, CG16, S3, etc to one of these, especially if all other things were equal or at least close. I found the S3's longer and was pretty sure I would be more concerned about losing that distance going to the CB's, but in the end, that really wasn't the case. Still, you have to keep in mind that I didn't find the S3's to fit my swing as well as they could have. I think that I would have a VERY tough time giving up the distance if I was fit for a set of longer irons and felt really comfortable with them.

I really want to hit these irons. I think I would like them a lot

Just curious why you feel there would be a distance loss going from the S3's to the CB's?

S3's are just a Burner 2.2...hehe

Honestly, because the S3's were made to compete with the 2.0, so its a stronger lofted club

Not sure why that post disappeared, but I don't feel the S3's are longer, I know they are. I tested them right before I tested the CB's. They are a distance iron. Stronger lofts, lower cg, longer shafts, etc.

Not sure why that post disappeared, but I don't feel the S3's are longer, I know they are. I tested them right before I tested the CB's. They are a distance iron. Stronger lofts, lower cg, longer shafts, etc.

I deleted it. Don't wanna get into a debate about jacked up lofts and shaft lengths. If it means alot to someone to say they're hitting a 7i vs a 6i when all things considered they're pretty much the same club, then god bless.

I deleted it. Don't wanna get into a debate about jacked up lofts and shaft lengths. If it means alot to someone to say they're hitting a 7i vs a 6i when all things considered they're pretty much the same club, then god bless.

I dont think its that at all, but its proven that its easier to hit an 8 iron instead of a 7. so, really I think its ease of mind as well as ease of play

Its about what someone (personally) feels internally. I can play this game once in a while pretty darn well. But I would be lying if mentally I felt the same hitting a 6 iron as I do a 7 iron regardless of whether or not they are the same lofts. I guess that makes me not as skilled as others, but it works for me.

My 5 iron has an 8 on the bottom and its not all that easy to hit. <------joke

I dont think its that at all, but its proven that its easier to hit an 8 iron instead of a 7. so, really I think its ease of mind as well as ease of play

I dont see a difference between a jacked 8 or a 6 iron. Shaft length?

If your 8i is 35* and my 7 is 35*, then what about the number on the bottom of the sole makes it easier to hit?

If your 8i is 35* and my 7 is 35*, then what about the number on the bottom of the sole makes it easier to hit?

Yes. Just like some say they cant look down at a thick top line or offset messes with their eyes.

Some like high numbered clubs in their hands.

well, typically the shafts are longer in these distance clubs, that makes them harder to hit

We have a thread about this, but you are making the mistake of thinking its all about loft when it isn't.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Redbird I can tell you that mentally I find that I am far more confident with 7-W. I'm pretty confident with 6 iron but not quite as confident as I am with 7-W. Once I hit 5 iron I am a mess. So it really does make a difference for me as I just feel more comfortable with the higher clubs. I find this with my Di11's and I found it with my Adams Pro Blacks as well.

well, typically the shafts are longer in these distance clubs, that makes them harder to hit

.25 inches to .50 inches in some iron sets yes.

Redbird I can tell you that mentally I find that I am far more confident with 7-W. I'm pretty confident with 6 iron but not quite as confident as I am with 7-W. Once I hit 5 iron I am a mess. So it really does make a difference for me as I just feel more comfortable with the higher clubs. I find this with my Di11's and I found it with my Adams Pro Blacks as well.

So it's a mental thing, seeing that 8 on the bottom of the club despite the fact that in truth it's a 7, that helps you. They why doesn't someone put PW on the bottom of all 8 irons.

So it's a mental thing, seeing that 8 on the bottom of the club despite the fact that in truth it's a 7, that helps you. They why doesn't someone put PW on the bottom of all 8 irons.

Makes me more comfortable. Maybe I'm just not a serious golfer.

I get it, you really like traditional lofted clubs and have a problem with strong lofting. Others dont. Its what makes this place great, is there are choices. But like I said, I think I hit the ball pretty well and still like having what I consider a scoring iron in my hand.

Makes me more comfortable. Maybe I'm just not a serious golfer.

Has nothing to do with that. I'm far from a traditionalist, i putted for years with a Futura when people were calling it a potato masher.

So, how do you feel about the CBs? After all, they have stronger lofts as well.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Has nothing to do with that. I'm far from a traditionalist, i putted for years with a Futura when people were calling it a potato masher.

Then what is it? I'm genuinely curious why you care why someone like me prefers stronger lofted irons.

Not that this should be taking place in this thread or anything but I can't help it.

Back