Out of the tunnel.

I guess I'd have to say that it depends on the length of the tunnel. We don't have a lot of holes like that here, at least not on the courses that I play, so I don't have a lot of specific experience with it. My choice would still likely be the driver. I can hit it about as straight as I hit any club (not necessarily saying a lot).

I would treat this shot as I do any tight tee shot... take my aim and swing. Dwelling on the possible negative outcomes just tightens you up and makes it more likely that you'll screw up. I focus on what I want to happen, then if it doesn't work out, well, that's just how my game goes. :confused2:

i might be one of the only ones that actually love this type of tee situation...
ill pull driver in a heart beat cuz i love the kaboom sound that gets amplified... gets my blood pumping

I love that sound also, there are a couple of mountain courses here in Colorado where the thin air and everything really make it even louder.

One of my favorite all time courses is Glenwood Country Club. ( http://www.glenwoodcountryclub.com/page/226-8020.htm ) We always said it was like playing in the Holland Tunnel. It is bordered on almost every hole by mature hardwood and pine trees that sit right up against the fairway. Many are doglegs so you have to be able to work the ball to take full advantage of the course.

It was short but deadly. I found that using driver, picturing my target, and forgetting about the trees gave me the best chance to keep it in the fairway. Once I started seeing all those tall trees and the narrow landing areas, my goose was cooked.

Glenwood can sure be an intimidating course when you aren't driving the ball well. Ironically though, I played my best round there last year despite spraying the ball all over the place.

Holy thread resurrection batman!

These are some awesome feeling shots. I've only managed one or two of them, and tha'ts only when I've topped teh ball and it went scooting at the lofty altitude of 2ft through the trees instead of into the branches...

Holy thread resurrection batman!

These are some awesome feeling shots. I've only managed one or two of them, and tha'ts only when I've topped teh ball and it went scooting at the lofty altitude of 2ft through the trees instead of into the branches...

Leave it to the new guy to dig up the old stuff!
It's a little slow at work and I'm gonna be playing Glenwood Country Club in a few weeks so I found this thread in a search.

Leave it to the new guy to dig up the old stuff!
It's a little slow at work and I'm gonna be playing Glenwood Country Club in a few weeks so I found this thread in a search.

Haha no big deal. Let us know how it goes!

The course I play most only has one of these. Unfortunately unless one can carry a drive 275 it is best to play a 200yd club and stay on top of a terrace but still in the tunnel. It is the 2nd hardest hole for me right now, and I don't look forward to it.

I faced this situation exactly. I hit a low 3 iron, not quite a punch, and I hit a tree and the ball came rifling back at me. It didn't hit me, but I'll think twice before I hit that shot again!

If I have a hole shot like that its not a driver or 3w or 3h, its a freaking 3 iron lol. Tiger punch shot anyone? lol.

I used to play this great little 9 hole course with one par 5 and this had a similar chute that was about 200 yds long and incredibly intimidating. about 5 yds left of the teebox was OB the entire length of the hole and the right side was all huge cottonwood trees and a creek. Its still to this day probably one of the hardest holes Ive ever played.

I hate those kinds of shots. My course I beleive only has 2 or 3 small ones. These long ones that are like 20-30 yards are just brutal.

What's even worse is when you have to work the ball through the chute. Number #18 at my home course is a par 4, dogleg left. If you can't hit a draw you try to bomb it as far right as you can into the fairway of #14 so you have chance at still getting on in regulation. Looks like you're teeing off in a bowling lane lined on both sides by trees. No more than 40 feet between the tree branches on the right to the tree branches on the left. That gap is about 30 yards off the tee box.

Back