How do you recap your round?

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
In the last two months I have really become focused on improving my golf game and becomming the golfer I know I can be. In effort to do so I am trying to learn something from the rounds I play in order to better myself and my golf game. Whether it is really dialing in distances for each of my clubs or noticing consistancies in my game or anything else that might help me get better.

Overall I am doing a fair job with this as now I am noting GIR, FW, and number of putts but a major drawback still seems to be that I do not have the photographic memerory that will allow me to recall each shot of the round and write down what I did, correct or otherwise, or recall all distances with shot taken. I thought about and tried bringing a small sheet of paper with me on which I would record basically each shot of my round, with club chosen and distance travelled. This turned into a big mess and really messed up my game and proved to much work.

So now I ask my friends and the members of THP for some advice and ideas on this subject. What do you do to recap a round? How do you keep records of what is good and bad with your game? How do you know for sure that your 7i goes "X' yards and the 3H is the right club for "Y" distance? Do you keep stats other than the common ones like GIRs and fairway's hit? Do you record things like avg scrores on par 3's 4' and 5's? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Good questions WR, I keep track of F/W's hit, GIR, and putts per GIR. I know how far I hit each club based mostly off the range and then with a GPS on the course for real distances with real balls.

Good questions WR, I keep track of F/W's hit, GIR, and putts per GIR. I know how far I hit each club based mostly off the range and then with a GPS on the course for real distances with real balls.

+1, WR I tried a few years ago to do the same thing you did, and my results were the same. It was just too much work, and too much for me to worry about. As far as distances, I've just settled on the fact that I don't hit to an exact number and just want to be within 10 yards or so, for me too exact of numbers is unfortunately useless.

I keep track of shots on the scorecard. I write in drive distance, second shot distance, distance of first putt and number of putts. I just use the open colums on the card where other players score would go. I do the writing right after the shot if I'm waiting on someone else to hit or right after I leave the green. I also note wind and weather on the card. I then put this info into a Excel sheet I created or into Blue Golf which is the sytem used in Indiana for official handicap index's.
Club distances is something I know from both the range and playing for so long, but mainly the numbers come from what I write down while playing. In irons from the 4 iron down, my yardage's are; 4 (168/162) 5 (158/152) 6 (146/140) 7 (138/132) 8 (128/122) 9 (120/115) PW (110/104) GW (100/94) SW (90/80) LW (80/70) Driver (245/260) 3 wood (205/190) 3 hybrid (175/185).
Distances are averages of course but nine times out of ten, I'm somewhere close to the middle of the average for each club. At my age, length is not my strength and I don't swing my guts out by any means. Just nice and easy yet quickly through the ball. I go every fall and hit at a custom golf shop on the monitor and when I went in last fall, my distance was off a little on three irons so my whole set was checked for loft and lie and a couple had changed for whatever reason and were bent back. My distances were then tracked by hitting 15/20 balls with each clubs and eveything was pretty close to what I have wrote down.

In the last two months I have really become focused on improving my golf game and becomming the golfer I know I can be. In effort to do so I am trying to learn something from the rounds I play in order to better myself and my golf game. Whether it is really dialing in distances for each of my clubs or noticing consistancies in my game or anything else that might help me get better.

Overall I am doing a fair job with this and a major drawback seems to be that I do not have the photographic memerory that will allow me to recall each shot of the round and write down what I did, correct or otherwise, or recall all distances with shot taken. I thought about and tried bringing a small sheet of paper with me on which I would record basically each shot of my round, with club chosen and distance travelled. This turned into a big mess and really messed up my game and proved to much work.

So now I ask my friends and the members of THP for some advice and ideas on this subject. What do you do to recap a round? How do you keep records of what is good and bad with your game? How do you know for sure that your 7i goes "X' yards and the 3H is the right club for "Y" distance? Do you keep stats other than the common ones like GIRs and fairway's hit? Do you record things like avg scrores on par 3's 4' and 5's? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Great question. I track FW's, GIRs and Putts on my scorecard, but besides that I have a great memory to remember everything. I can ever go back 2 or 3 rounds if I have had that shot before and remember what I did. I have a very good memory so it doesn't affect me at all. I think what you should do is perhaps bring a small notebook, and quickly jot down everything you did on the hole before.

I just dont keep that many stats. GIR, FIR, putts, and the occasional long drive. Beyond that I'll write a quick note on the bad holes to remember what I did wrong and then look back before playing that course again. Those stats are one good thing about phone programs like TeeDroid, you can mark your spot, input the club to hit and mark at the next spot, it keeps track of all that, but even that gets old after a while.

By far the most important statistic for score improvement is number of putts. Beyond that depends on your own game for me it is fairways hit. If I hit fairways and make putts it will be a good day. I arrived at this conclusion by tracking the usual stuff, fairways, gir, saves, putts.

Tracking distance on every club, every day under every condition will give you a lot of numbers and average distances and gaps. That is a lot of data but does it help you score? I believe that if you know one or two clubs distances under any condition your chances of improving your score are improved.

For tracking distance, if you know one club very well, then use that as a measure to determine the approximate distances and gaps of the rest of the bag. Distance changes every day, due to lots of factors, swing, weather, course condition, etc. So if you know one club very well then within a hole or two of a round, guage that club, you should have an idea how far everything is flying. For example If I hit my PW pretty good and it flies 122 on a cold winter day, I know the 8I is only going to fly about 145 that day and the LW is going maybe 80 yds. If I hit the PW 135 on a warm dry day then the 8 is good for 160 and the LW maybe 92.

If you believe your irons fly the same distance and have the same gaps every time you play then you aren't playing enough. The best way to learn the distances and gaps...play every day! :golf3:

I wish and should keep stats to see my performance. But really I just keep in all in my head. Could be the reason why I shoot what I shoot.

I know general distances for all of my clubs and adjust based off of the lie, wind, turf conditions, etc. I tried to keep a bunch of info on a scorecard and also tried to use an app on my phone to record data, but in the end, it didn't help me at all and I was always trying to hurry up and enter it instead of just enjoying the round.

My skycaddie keeps all my stats. How about getting a little voice recorder to remind you what clubs you hit and stuff like that?

I find the easiest thing to do is keep up with FW, GIR, and putts by putting a check to the top left of your score if you hit the FW, a dot to the top right of your score if you make a GIR, and then a small number to the bottom right of your score for the number of putts. When you get home, use that information to go back over your memory bank and see if it helps any.

Of course, my instructor asked me to keep very detailed stats for him so he could narrow down where my main problems were. I made my own scorecard for our course on Excel and tracked every shot in detailed spreadsheets he had given to me. My weaknesses showed up clearly after tracking about 10 rounds (i.e., terrible at longer putts and short approach shots 30-50 yards). The only way I was comfortable doing this was if I was playing alone and able to take my time.

Most recently while playing with TC, Ive learned a different way to keep score. So I leave it all on the scorecard and let the numbers do the talking. FW's, Greens, Putts.

[insert another one of JB's terrible hundy jokes here]

I know general distances for all of my clubs and adjust based off of the lie, wind, turf conditions, etc. I tried to keep a bunch of info on a scorecard and also tried to use an app on my phone to record data, but in the end, it didn't help me at all and I was always trying to hurry up and enter it instead of just enjoying the round.

This is EXACTLY what happened with me. I first tried to use my OnPar device to track shots while scoring my rounds but that became a mess as I still have not gotten that part of the OnPar working properly. I then though if I could write it down I could be quick about it and made small sheets for each hole to write down distances. That turning into a disaster on a windy day. ( bye bye papers). Last night after I typed this, I looked at the sheet I made and converted it into one page for 18 holes that I am going to laminate and use a grease pen to write on then wipe clean.

My skycaddie keeps all my stats. How about getting a little voice recorder to remind you what clubs you hit and stuff like that?

That was my other idea I had last night. I have a small portable recorder that I will try as well.

I use a kind of half-assed shorthand to keep track of stats. The ones I keep track of are:

Fairway hit for this I use arrows Straight up arrow for hitting it, and left or right arrow to determine the side if the fairway I missed on
GIR Simple Y or N
Hazards Notate taking a Drop D or landing in a Bunker B
# of Putts Pretty self explanatory

If I hit an extremely long ball like the 318 drive I had last week I might make a quick note if I think about it

Believe me dude, just learn the way TC/oneT/Stroker Ace do it. Its so easy and all you need is a scorecard and a pencil
This is EXACTLY what happened with me. I first tried to use my OnPar device to track shots while scoring my rounds but that became a mess as I still have not gotten that part of the OnPar working properly. I then though if I could write it down I could be quick about it and made small sheets for each hole to write down distances. That turning into a disaster on a windy day. ( bye bye papers). Last night after I typed this, I looked at the sheet I made and converted it into one page for 18 holes that I am going to laminate and use a grease pen to write on then wipe clean.

That was my other idea I had last night. I have a small portable recorder that I will try as well.

Believe me dude, just learn the way TC/oneT/Stroker Ace do it. Its so easy and all you need is a scorecard and a pencil

What do they do?

I use the bottom of the score card for FW, GIR and Putts. I put a chck mark in the box for FW and GIR and a number in the putts If I hit it left of the fairway I put a <-- if I hit it right I put a --> that seems pretty simple to me. I am just having a tough time getting my distances down. Once I think I get it, I wind up being off which adds strokes to my round.

Thats what they do.

Best thing you can do is use fairway files to track all your stats(youre on there, arent you?). For distances, your best to go to a simulator and hit 15-20 balls with each club. It will tell you all of your averages, and just reset everytime you go to a new clubl
What do they do?

I use the bottom of the score card for FW, GIR and Putts. I put a chck mark in the box for FW and GIR and a nuber in the putts If I hit it left of the fairway I put a <-- if I hit it right I put a --> thatseems pretty simple to me. I am just having a tough time getting my distances down. Once I think I get it, I wind up being off which adds strokes to my round.

Thats what they do.

Best thing you can do is use fairway files to track all your stats(youre on there, arent you?). For distances, your best to go to a simulator and hit 15-20 balls with each club. It will tell you all of your averages, and just reset everytime you go to a new clubl

I am not too sure about the simulators. The ones at the golf store by me is really off. As I have been looking at drivers there I am looking at the numbers and I never seem to hit a drive past 180 on the damn thing and it was driving me nuts cause I am no bomber like Biggsy but I do hit it 225-240. So I went with my buddy who routinely puts the ball 250-275 with each drive and when he got on the monitor he just barely got past 200. I do not really trust the accuracy of those things!!

Hmm, sounds like they have some calibration issues.
I am not too sure about the simulators. The ones at the golf store by me is really off. As I have been looking at drivers there I am looking at the numbers and I never seem to hit a drive past 180 on the damn thing and it was driving me nuts cause I am no bomber like Biggsy but I do hit it 225-240. So I went with my buddy who routinely puts the ball 250-275 with each drive and when he got on the monitor he just barely got past 200. I do not really trust the accuracy of those things!!

I keep track of FW hit (or direction of miss), GIR, and total putts. It takes one line on the card and is quick and easy. When I get home, I have a spreadsheet where I keep all of my scorecards and data. I just enter in the data I kept on the card and it will spit out the info I want to know. I highlight things such as birdies and bogeys and penalties. The scorecard here will give me the percentages and averages for the round, then that info will get added to the season totals to get the season percentages and averages.

When it's all said and done, I could tell you how may greens I hit from rough vs the fairway. What % I miss left/right. I know how many over/under par I am on par 3's, 4's, and 5's. This list of stats I have from keeping 3 simple things on the card is pretty extensive if you know how to use the info. Once the master form is built, it takes a few seconds after each hole, and about 10 minutes after the round.

I have been doing it for the past 3 years and it has helped quite a bit. Just knowing certain tendencies and areas to improve is a big help as I improve. just keeping the stats on the card has helped me during the round. I once noticed that I had missed three straight fairways to the right. I know what that problem is and how to correct it. Had I not seen the three right arrows in a row, I may not have thought about it. I made the adjustment and hit the 4-5 remaining fairways on the day.

Without reading all of this, I'll give a few examples of what I track. Of course,FWY'S and Greens.When I miss Green's I note with what clubs to see if there is a pattern of what clubs are giving me issues and to where I missed.L,R

I'll also pace off my distance to pin for my first putt ,also marking from what yardage and club was used.This also helps get more precise on what section of my game do I need to work on.We all sort of know,but if it isn't in black and white,It's just a guess.

My range of distance to the pins are tracked in this order
200+
175-200
150-175
125-150
100-125

I keep track of FW hit (or direction of miss), GIR, and total putts. It takes one line on the card and is quick and easy. When I get home, I have a spreadsheet where I keep all of my scorecards and data. I just enter in the data I kept on the card and it will spit out the info I want to know. I highlight things such as birdies and bogeys and penalties. The scorecard here will give me the percentages and averages for the round, then that info will get added to the season totals to get the season percentages and averages.

When it's all said and done, I could tell you how may greens I hit from rough vs the fairway. What % I miss left/right. I know how many over/under par I am on par 3's, 4's, and 5's. This list of stats I have from keeping 3 simple things on the card is pretty extensive if you know how to use the info. Once the master form is built, it takes a few seconds after each hole, and about 10 minutes after the round.

I have been doing it for the past 3 years and it has helped quite a bit. Just knowing certain tendencies and areas to improve is a big help as I improve. just keeping the stats on the card has helped me during the round. I once noticed that I had missed three straight fairways to the right. I know what that problem is and how to correct it. Had I not seen the three right arrows in a row, I may not have thought about it. I made the adjustment and hit the 4-5 remaining fairways on the day.

Sounds like a great idea and maybe something I will look to create in the future. I enjoy excel and messing around with numbers.

Without reading all of this, I'll give a few examples of what I track. Of course,FWY'S and Greens.When I miss Green's I note with what clubs to see if there is a pattern of what clubs are giving me issues and to where I missed.L,R

I'll also pace off my distance to pin for my first putt ,also marking from what yardage and club was used.This also helps get more precise on what section of my game do I need to work on.We all sort of know,but if it isn't in black and white,It's just a guess.

My range of distance to the pins are tracked in this order
200+
175-200
150-175
125-150
100-125

So then do you just group your clubs into each of the sections? Like for example 200+ is Driver, 3W and HYbrid, 175-200 is 4I, 5I and6I etc?

I track whatever golfshot on my IPhone keeps track of. Too much info will just clout your brain and let you not enjoy the rounds. Instead of the sim find someone with a laser and go to the range. Laser the target(s) and hit an average of 10-20 shots at that target with whatever club you think you should hit. Generalize and adjust and you should have a good idea what club goes what distance. Just remember it shouldn't be exact since we're not tour pros so allow room for error.

I track whatever golfshot on my IPhone keeps track of. Too much info will just clout your brain and let you not enjoy the rounds. Instead of the sim find someone with a laser and go to the range. Laser the target(s) and hit an average of 10-20 shots at that target with whatever club you think you should hit. Generalize and adjust and you should have a good idea what club goes what distance. Just remember it shouldn't be exact since we're not tour pros so allow room for error.

After I win the Bushnell Hybrid at the outing I might do that Spank. :act-up: Right now I am going to try to get on a good simulator and see what that tells me.

After I win the Bushnell Hybrid at the outing I might do that Spank. :act-up: Right now I am going to try to get on a good simulator and see what that tells me.

Not if I can help it buddy. That Bushnell is not leaving the state of FL. :D

Back