Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Spent about an hour hitting balls with these today and here is what I came away with.

Distance - Call it strong lofted or anything else, but these Di11s are PURE distance. Mentally I like to know I can use scoring irons a lot more and hitting the ball 10 yards further than I normally do with each iron is simply pleasing, no other way to put it. All of the while, not sacrificing forgiveness or performance.

Looks - I absolutely LOVE the looks of these. Strong looking is one way I describe them. They inspire confidence for me both in the bag and at setup.

Ball Flight - Its high. Not so high its ballooning mind you, but nice and high. Ball lands soft and at times with the 8,9, PW it was like point and shoot. I had no trouble hitting a draw or fade with these, but as many know, with me, I prefer a straight ball and the Di11s deliver on that.

Feel - Something about these irons I just love when it comes to impact sound and feel. I should say more its the absence of sound. Something you rarely get with an iron in this class and certainly was an unexpected surprise and one that left me smiling.

Overall - I never thought this would be a hard decision with choosing my irons for 2011, but Wilson Staff has brought it and is making my decision quite hard. Love the feedback from the testers and so far for me, I have to agree with them.

Spent about an hour hitting balls with these today and here is what I came away with.

Distance - Call it strong lofted or anything else, but these Di11s are PURE distance. Mentally I like to know I can use scoring irons a lot more and hitting the ball 10 yards further than I normally do with each iron is simply pleasing, no other way to put it. All of the while, not sacrificing forgiveness or performance.

Looks - I absolutely LOVE the looks of these. Strong looking is one way I describe them. They inspire confidence for me both in the bag and at setup.

Ball Flight - Its high. Not so high its ballooning mind you, but nice and high. Ball lands soft and at times with the 8,9, PW it was like point and shoot. I had no trouble hitting a draw or fade with these, but as many know, with me, I prefer a straight ball and the Di11s deliver on that.

Feel - Something about these irons I just love when it comes to impact sound and feel. I should say more its the absence of sound. Something you rarely get with an iron in this class and certainly was an unexpected surprise and one that left me smiling.

Overall - I never thought this would be a hard decision with choosing my irons for 2011, but Wilson Staff has brought it and is making my decision quite hard. Love the feedback from the testers and so far for me, I have to agree with them.

Wow, JB, Wilson staff making your iron decision difficult. I totally agree about the ball flight, it took me a few range sessions to get used to ball flight, wasn't sure at first if it was balloning, but its not, just going high and far.

Point and shoot....I like the sound of that. Another great write up JB.

Uniflex steel is what I have here.

Thanks! That is the direction I am leaning towards. Going to try to get some more time with the combo shaft though before I decide.

Uniflex steel is what I have here.

Do you feel the uniflex helps you keep a better tempo compared to stiff steel shafts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you feel the uniflex helps you keep a better tempo compared to stiff steel shafts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For many, I think it certainly wood. I have pretty smooth tempo the last few months, so I really like the uniflex.

Uniflex is outstanding for promoting a smooth swing. Just today I had a few different irons I was hitting. 1 had KBS which I am used to and like. I hit it great but I do have to take a more aggressive swing. Going back to the Di11's with the Uniflex I was hooking the ball big time. Slowed my tempo down and was hitting some beautiful shots.

I have been pondering these irons along with the cg16's that I dreamt that I just bought both sets. I was riding in my own cart because I had two bags. Lol

I have been pondering these irons along with the cg16's that I dreamt that I just bought both sets. I was riding in my own cart because I had two bags. Lol

Thats awesome Clam, the thing about these irons that I don't think has been said enough yet on this thread is the price point. In Canada at least they are retailing at $499.99, thats a freaking steal when you think about the prices of the irons they are competing against.
I'm hoping to be able to get to the driving range today, if not the course, baby sitter depending.

Thats awesome Clam, the thing about these irons that I don't think has been said enough yet on this thread is the price point. In Canada at least they are retailing at $499.99, thats a freaking steal when you think about the prices of the irons they are competing against.
I'm hoping to be able to get to the driving range today, if not the course, baby sitter depending.

I will certainly be looking forward to hear more about your experience with these clubs. Your right the price is great. It should also be noted that the folks at Blind9 are offering a discount to THPers. This makes it an even better deal!

Price varies depending on what you get. The half/half shaft goes for $699.00, is still a bargain as far as I'm concerned because A) No one else does the half/half shaft that I am aware of and B) They are just a fantastic set of sticks

The half and half is no doubt worth the extra cash, if it is right for you. I will have no problem paying more for it if it turns out that is right for me. I hope to find out on Tuesday. I am getting super excited. Your reviews have helped tremendously. Great job everyone!

has anyone noticed this yet...havent gotten my irons yet but have seen 2 different style hosels on the di11's...a more traditional style iron with hosel as seen here...http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WILSON-STAF...80634624502?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2a0ea9a1f6

and what i am use to seeing with the wilson staff wide/fat shaft as seen here...http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-Staff-Di...90477939219?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2c595eb213

what have you guys been hitting...i for one am use to the second photo and hope mine come that way.

has anyone noticed this yet...havent gotten my irons yet but have seen 2 different style hosels on the di11's...a more traditional style iron with hosel as seen here...http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WILSON-STAF...80634624502?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2a0ea9a1f6

and what i am use to seeing with the wilson staff wide/fat shaft as seen here...http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-Staff-Di...90477939219?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2c595eb213

what have you guys been hitting...i for one am use to the second photo and hope mine come that way.

The traditional hosel is the bottom half of the half+half shaft cause the bottom half of it is like the bottom half of any steel shaft and, of course the other is the "widetip" shaft.

Played 18 today and all I can say is wow. Too tired to give a good hole by hole right now but the irons were spectacular today. The more I hit these the more I like them and for a complete ho like myself that is saying something. I had to hit pretty much every shot you can think of today including this insane low roping hook with the 4 iron that came off perfect. If it weren't for a few incidents I would have been in the 70's easy. Anyone looking for GI irons right now needs to give these a serious look.

Played 18 today and all I can say is wow. Too tired to give a good hole by hole right now but the irons were spectacular today. The more I hit these the more I like them and for a complete ho like myself that is saying something. I had to hit pretty much every shot you can think of today including this insane low roping hook with the 4 iron that came off perfect. If it weren't for a few incidents I would have been in the 70's easy. Anyone looking for GI irons right now needs to give these a serious look.

Me too CL. I am at the outlaws right now for dinner with the boy, but I played 9 today in a three club wind and they were just outstanding. Knockdown shots, crosswind, and with the wind. Spectacular is my word for the day.

Coolbreeze,

Unless I'm remembering wrong and I apologize if this is already in this thread somewhere, but OEM Kevin said that you've already decided to make these your gamers over the Burner 2.0s you had... is this true? If so, can you talk a little bit about what you found better about these clubs versus the 2.0s? I'm really curious because the 2.0s are probably the best GI irons I've ever played with.

well these here show the half and half with the wide tip as well...http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-Staff-Di...80627667890?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2a0e3f7bb2

so what gives did wilson make earlier models of the irons or something?

Even though it says Half+half those are not pics of the half+half shaft they a pics of the widetip steel shaft. The half+half shafts have normal steel shaft bottoms and normal hosels. Look at ron's pics on post 170 and you can see the hosel on the half+half's.

Last edited:
Coolbreeze,

Unless I'm remembering wrong and I apologize if this is already in this thread somewhere, but OEM Kevin said that you've already decided to make these your gamers over the Burner 2.0s you had... is this true? If so, can you talk a little bit about what you found better about these clubs versus the 2.0s? I'm really curious because the 2.0s are probably the best GI irons I've ever played with.

Indeed I have G4L and for me there are a few reasons. The uniflex shafts seem to fit my swing a lot better than the stock stiff shafts in the 2.0s did, I liked those shafts a lot but I can really feel the uniflex shaft loading at the top and releasing into the ball. I like the ball flight I am seeing from the Di11's more than the 2.0s. As I'm sure you know with the 2.0's the ball climbs quite high eventually but for me starts our a little lower. The Di11's get the ball up quick with a high ball flight that doesn't ballon, but I'm finding with the long irons I am able to hold greens much easier with this ball flight. The forgiveness with the Di11's is much better than the 2.0s, that might just be me, but I find that thin shots are not punished near as much nor are shots a little out towards the toe. These are my two misses in general so it has really helped in my game. Finally and what really won me over was how well and how far I hit the long irons with this set. Even with the 2.0's (which I loved and still do by the way) I was not finding any consistancy with the 4 and 5 irons, right out of the box with the Di11's I am hitting them better than any long irons I have ever had, high, long and then fall softly on the green. This is really the first set I have had where I will pull any iron at any time and this has really improved my game over all. With the 2.0's if I had 190 into a green I would hit a choke down 3 hybrid instead of a 4 iron just because it would be the better play for me, now I would rather hit the 4 iron than my mashie as I am better with the 4 iron. I'm also hitting a lot of shorter clubs off the tee just to be in the short grass because I don't mind being further back in the fairway pulling a 5 iron instead of a 7. I hope this makes sense, and to be honest I never thought these would beat out the 2.0's, but to be honest for my game the Di11's beat them soundly.

Indeed I have G4L and for me there are a few reasons. The uniflex shafts seem to fit my swing a lot better than the stock stiff shafts in the 2.0s did, I liked those shafts a lot but I can really feel the uniflex shaft loading at the top and releasing into the ball. I like the ball flight I am seeing from the Di11's more than the 2.0s. As I'm sure you know with the 2.0's the ball climbs quite high eventually but for me starts our a little lower. The Di11's get the ball up quick with a high ball flight that doesn't ballon, but I'm finding with the long irons I am able to hold greens much easier with this ball flight. The forgiveness with the Di11's is much better than the 2.0s, that might just be me, but I find that thin shots are not punished near as much nor are shots a little out towards the toe. These are my two misses in general so it has really helped in my game. Finally and what really won me over was how well and how far I hit the long irons with this set. Even with the 2.0's (which I loved and still do by the way) I was not finding any consistancy with the 4 and 5 irons, right out of the box with the Di11's I am hitting them better than any long irons I have ever had, high, long and then fall softly on the green. This is really the first set I have had where I will pull any iron at any time and this has really improved my game over all. With the 2.0's if I had 190 into a green I would hit a choke down 3 hybrid instead of a 4 iron just because it would be the better play for me, now I would rather hit the 4 iron than my mashie as I am better with the 4 iron. I'm also hitting a lot of shorter clubs off the tee just to be in the short grass because I don't mind being further back in the fairway pulling a 5 iron instead of a 7. I hope this makes sense, and to be honest I never thought these would beat out the 2.0's, but to be honest for my game the Di11's beat them soundly.

Thanks for the thorough and quick response. Everything you've written makes a lot of sense to me. My only experience to date with the Di11s was hitting I think an 8 or 9 iron about 10 swings at the THP outing. 2 things worked against me on those swings. The first was that we were hitting into a strong wind on the range, and 2nd I think the uniflex is maybe a little too flexible for me. The result was I hit the balls very high into the air, too high for that wind for sure. I do remember them being very forgiving and felt nice too. There were Burner 2.0s at the outing in stiff flex that provided a much better ball flight for me in those conditions. I look forward to hitting the long iron Di11s at this coming outing to give them a fair shake based on how well you and the others are hitting them. I am not at the point yet with my current sticks where I'd rather hit the long irons than a hybrid. If the Di11s can provide that comfort, that's hard to beat. I'm stoked for you that you found a combo that works so well.

GReat infomration there CB. I am happy for you that you found a set of clubs that work for you and you are very happy with.

Seems that everyone is loving these irons. I thought that I was only W/S fan, these are my first set of irons and I though that they were too good to be true from the price I paid for them. I did get mine at the end of year run out period, but I think I did the right thing.

How much difference is there to the Di9's?

Back