TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

I am as well. In fact I need to get it raised up a bit. The spin is still on the lower end of what I like for maximizing my game.

Im also seeing a lower ball flight than what i had with my previous driver, love the ball flight with the R11

When I had one a few weeks ago I noticed I was hitting on the top part of the face as well, but didnt seem to notice a big distance loss if any until I hit it on the heel or toe side. Kind of weird how more than just a few are hitting on the top part of the face. I found even when I teed it a little lower it was still top part of the face, probably my swing fault more than anything though.

Last edited:
When I had one a few weeks ago I noticed I was hitting on the top part of the face as well, but didnt seem to notice a big distance loss if any until I hit it on the heel or toe side. Kind of weird how more than just a few are hitting on the top part of the face. I found even when I teed it a little lower it was still top part of the face, probably a swing fault more than anything though.

i have heard more than once that the sweet spot is actually a little high and toward the toe. From my ball marks when hitting it there i would agree with it, slightly high on the face has produced the best results for me

When I had one a few weeks ago I noticed I was hitting on the top part of the face as well, but didnt seem to notice a big distance loss if any until I hit it on the heel or toe side. Kind of weird how more than just a few are hitting on the top part of the face. I found even when I teed it a little lower it was still top part of the face, probably a swing fault more than anything though.

If you read my thoughts, I really was not doing that more than normal. Just noticed that when I did, I lost major distance.

i have heard more than once that the sweet spot is actually a little high and toward the toe. From my ball marks when hitting it there i would agree with it, slightly high on the face has produced the best results for me

I am definitely not seeing that, but it is still early in my testing.

Yup, the ball went a good ways for me. The toe and heel shots are the only ones I saw the distance loss, which is normal. Kind of wish I still had it, but im loving my new 3w and hybrid I got from it.

For the people who have the Fubuki Alpha shaft in their R11 I have a question. What is the ball flight like in compairison to the Aldila RIP Alpha? Is it a low to med launch low spin shaft? I am curious to order one to test but just need a little more info than what I have been able to find on the net. It really only states torque and kick point. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Cheers!!

Yesterday was my first experience with the Fubuki Alpha so I hate to say that what I'm seeing initially is exactly what it's going to offer. I have had a range session with the RIP, as well as a round of golf w/the Razr Hawk Tour, which has the RIP in it. The RIP, for me, was a bit lower in launch, and it felt a bit harder/stiffer to me. I liked it though, and I especially liked my results with the RIP. The Fubuki isn't a high launching shaft by any means for me, not compared to many others I've tried. It also feels a bit smoother, and less boardy.

I hope that kind of helps. I know it's not concrete findings but my time has just been too limited.

Yup, the ball went a good ways for me. The toe and heel shots are the only ones I saw the distance loss, which is normal. Kind of wish I still had it, but im loving my new 3w and hybrid I got from it.

Thats how its been for me, toe and heel are where the distance loss is noticable

If you read my thoughts, I really was not doing that more than normal. Just noticed that when I did, I lost major distance.

Ment my swing fault not that any of you had one. Just that I was hitting it on the top part consistently which was probably the swing fault.

The great thing about this driver is there is surely a setting and shaft in which it will all eventually come together. Just takes a little time to find it.

The great thing about this driver is there is surely a setting and shaft in which it will all eventually come together. Just takes a little time to find it.

I think that this is true, but I do think that it should not take time to find and that was really the point of my post. With this thing being as high technology as it is, a fitting should be required.

Yesterday was my first experience with the Fubuki Alpha so I hate to say that what I'm seeing initially is exactly what it's going to offer. I have had a range session with the RIP, as well as a round of golf w/the Razr Hawk Tour, which has the RIP in it. The RIP, for me, was a bit lower in launch, and it felt a bit harder/stiffer to me. I liked it though, and I especially liked my results with the RIP. The Fubuki isn't a high launching shaft by any means for me, not compared to many others I've tried. It also feels a bit smoother, and less boardy.

I hope that kind of helps. I know it's not concrete findings but my time has just been too limited.

Thanks for the info TC I really appreciate it. Just curious what is your approx swing speed? I am on average 118 to 125 with the driver and tend to get the ball up in the air easily. I have tested the RIP shaft but never noticed it feeling too stiff ... but that could be due to my high swing speed. I really like what I am hearing about the Fubuki alpha and may go with the 70 gram version to test.

I think that this is true, but I do think that it should not take time to find and that was really the point of my post. With this thing being as high technology as it is, a fitting should be required.

I agree and the TM Kingdom thread in which those guys were talking about getting fitted to there R11's and how many shafts they had to try out, proves it.

Thanks for the info TC I really appreciate it. Just curious what is your approx swing speed? I am on average 118 to 125 with the driver and tend to get the ball up in the air easily. I have tested the RIP shaft but never noticed it feeling too stiff ... but that could be due to my high swing speed. I really like what I am hearing about the Fubuki alpha and may go with the 70 gram version to test.

lol, my swing speed is nowhere near that my man. I'd say I hover around 105-107. I do pick up a bit more clubhead speed with the Razr Hawk though. Based on my initial findings, the Fubuki feels great. It does feel stout, yet it feels smooth. I would recommend you at least test it if you can at some point.

lol, my swing speed is nowhere near that my man. I'd say I hover around 105-107. I do pick up a bit more clubhead speed with the Razr Hawk though. Based on my initial findings, the Fubuki feels great. It does feel stout, yet it feels smooth. I would recommend you at least test it if you can at some point.

Thanks .... I think I am going to bring one in and giver a go. I love the Blur right now but can't stop thinking that I may be leaving some distance behind. I have my r11 set to 8 degrees with the blur and I am seeing a 11 degree launch with 2800 ish spin rate. I am getting awesome distance with this setup approx 307 to 310 avg so it isn't bad but I am sure the Fubuki is a lower spinning shaft so I should be able to raise my loft to 9 degrees and pick up a few yards. Of course this is all a guess...lol I only with they had the fubuki shaft when I was getting fitted.

Thanks .... I think I am going to bring one in and giver a go. I love the Blur right now but can't stop thinking that I may be leaving some distance behind. I have my r11 set to 8 degrees with the blur and I am seeing a 11 degree launch with 2800 ish spin rate. I am getting awesome distance with this setup approx 307 to 310 avg so it isn't bad but I am sure the Fubuki is a lower spinning shaft so I should be able to raise my loft to 9 degrees and pick up a few yards. Of course this is all a guess...lol I only with they had the fubuki shaft when I was getting fitted.

You know what though, this is the beauty of the R11. You have the luxury of slapping a different shaft in it and just seeing if it will work or not. I'd be very interesting in finding out how that switch works for you. I'll try to get mine on the monitor at some point this week.

If your getting 310 why change anything? I mean, that is crazy distance. No reason to change a thing.

You know what though, this is the beauty of the R11. You have the luxury of slapping a different shaft in it and just seeing if it will work or not. I'd be very interesting in finding out how that switch works for you. I'll try to get mine on the monitor at some point this week.

Isnt that also the weakness of these clubs though? In that it keeps people from going and getting an actual shaft fitting.

Isnt that also the weakness of these clubs though? In that it keeps people from going and getting an actual shaft fitting.

I suppose that it is, now that you say that. You would also have to assume that whoever you go to for your fitting is somewhat knowledgeable, and in my experiences around here, they aren't so much.

If your getting 310 why change anything? I mean, that is crazy distance. No reason to change a thing.

Oh I know it is good for sure but if the Fubuki shaft better suit me and my swing and I could add a few more yards and accuracy why not? Plus it doesnt hurt to have the absolute best shaft for your swing. I just keep reading how important the right shaft is and I have only tested 3 different shafts of the many that are available for the R11. I mean if there is one that is shorter in distance but has my ball going exactly where I want it to go time after time it I would take that over length anyday.

That's exactly what the guy at Golfsmith said when I was testing the R11 before I bought...I was averaging 310 a drive with a slight 10 yd cut and I asked the guy, "should I wait and try the TP version when you get it?". He replies, you just averaged 310...take your $100 you would of spent on the TP and buy something else!". "is 5-7 yards more worth the TP?"

Couldn't argue with that esp. since I've got the settings adjusted and am hitting it a bit longer anyways. Just depends on how precise you want to make it.

The highlight of the range session was that the range was packed, and I was that guy. That's right, I was the guy with the white driver that everyone was watching. A couple of folks actually came by and asked if they could look at the R11. It felt sweet putting on a driver display for them, haha!

Intitial impressions are fantastic. I couldn't be happier with this driver, especially after one range session. I love the white head, really love it. It's so sharp once you get it outside and I swear that it does have some sort of calming effect. I will be playing Monday and can't wait to see how it performs on the course.

I love that part TC! I, myself, am a bit uncomfortable being "that guy" but it is cool...especially if you were strokin it out there!

I suppose that it is, now that you say that. You would also have to assume that whoever you go to for your fitting is somewhat knowledgeable, and in my experiences around here, they aren't so much.

That is a cop out if you want to know the truth. I could find a suitable club fitter with in an hour of your home or work guaranteed.

Oh I know it is good for sure but if the Fubuki shaft better suit me and my swing and I could add a few more yards and accuracy why not? Plus it doesnt hurt to have the absolute best shaft for your swing. I just keep reading how important the right shaft is and I have only tested 3 different shafts of the many that are available for the R11. I mean if there is one that is shorter in distance but has my ball going exactly where I want it to go time after time it I would take that over length anyday.

Then have you thought about getting a full fitting?

I love that part TC! I, myself, am a bit uncomfortable being "that guy" but it is cool...especially if you were strokin it out there!

I live in a rural area, so unveiling the white driver at this particular range, yeah, I was "that guy". I've never received more swing tips than I have from this range. It's usually from the guy in his sweat pants who sits in a chair the whole time just watching, hahaha.

The R11 made me feel cool though, and that's hard to do!

That is a cop out if you want to know the truth. I could find a suitable club fitter with in an hour of your home or work guaranteed.

I know for a fact that A'ville Country Club, which is 4 minutes from the house has TM staffers on board, but I can't get service there. It's private. In fact, most good fitters around here work out of private clubs. I'm not cop'ing out of anything. I agree'd with you, I'm just throwing out other possible scenarios.

Then have you thought about getting a full fitting?
I would love that but I cannot find a Taylormade fitting day anywhere near me. The fitting I did have was with our local Taylormade rep but he had limited shafts at the time. So rather than wait I ordered the R11 with the stock blur because my numbers were good. But now that the TP shafts are available I want to find the best one.

Thats true, its the one weakness of ANY brand that has adjustability, instead of going to get a shaft fitting people are just ordering shafts to try out, myself included in that group lol. Now that im back working im gonna get a shaft fitting very soon.

Back