Short game practice regimen

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
I'm starting a strict regimen this year to focus around my short game. I am going to break it down into 4 categories.

1.) putting- i always felt i was an above average putter but I could really drop some strokes on my lag putts. So two one hour sessions each week focusing on lag putting and stroke putting.

2.) chipping- I think chipping is under rated for someone around my handicap. I'm a 13.3 and shoot in the high 80's. I chip a lot, and if i am setting a goal this year of getting all my chips within 5 feet. That should really help getting up and down.

3.) pitching- when down to 60-80 yards I use a pitching stroke. Where im focusing on distance control and feel. After reading pelz book, I believe his key is no shoulder/hip rotation making a repeatable swing with the same tempo with all 4 wedges. Setting up at a practice range making 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full swings with the wedges and learning each distance I make with all.

4.) full wedge shots/scoring irons- when i get to 150 yards I hit my 8 iron or lower which i really like. I hit them straightest and need to focus on that accuracy. I haven't been hitting a lot of GIR, so straightening out these irons should give me a chance at more birdies and pars.

Putting practice- 1 hour once a week. set up some balls at 30, 40, 50 feet - practice lagging to within a 3-5 foot circle. Same tempo each swing with the backswing controlling distance.

Stroke putting-1 hour once a week. set up 10 balls in a clock face pattern at 3 feet. Go around the circle and make all balls in the 3 foot circle or start over until you make them all. Puts pressure on you to make them. Do the same from 6 feet but allow yourself 2 misses.

Chipping- 2x 1 hour sessions. work on a controllable tempo stroke, using the different wedges and 9 iron to control distance.

Pitching- 2x 1 hour sessions. Set up towels to mark distances at 30,40,50,60 yd intervals. Hit all wedges using 1/4,1/2,3/4,and full swings. Learn to hone the distances with each wedge

Full swings- 2x 1 hour sesssions. Driving range practice.

I am going to try to do one of these each day and Sunday's ill do 2 or 3. I'm going to try and get a round each Sunday,Monday,Tuesday. I can do some before and ater a round.

I copied most of these from pelz book, and other ideas from threads I've read. I think with a strict practice regimen that i can adhere too I should be able to reach my goal of a single digit handicap by august.

Anyone else have ideas or tips for improving their short game? I've nevr had a short game or putting lesson so im trying to gather as much advice as i can. Thanks! Wish me luck!

I had a great video with Bobby Eldridge. If I can find it I will post some of his recommendations for practice. I haven't seen it since we moved. I like all of his videos and was doing his apprentice program until it just got too busy at the Monkey Disco.

This is exactly what I need! Short game has been struggling the last couple of weeks. Thanks for posting!

Man I would love to think I could spend 8 hours a week practicing, good luck and hope the results mirror the effort.

Good luck with the practice regimen. Now that the weather is turning, I plan to do something similar. I am not sure if I can get in 8 hours/week, but definitely going to hit the range/green a few nights each week. Hard work WILL pay off, so keep it up!

8 hours a week? Good on ya bro. Cant wait to hear the results.

i have sundays and mondays off - so i plan on 2 hours practice and a round each day there - then i work tues-sat - my country club im joining is 2 minutes from work - so im going to go there on the nice days and hit the range or 9 holes before work. Thats what im aiming for; if i set a goal i think i can work hard to attain it. And if by some lucky chance i make it into the morgan cup - ill have added pressure to improve and that would provide me the initiative to fulfill the goal.

putting putting putting tons of it!

Back