R9 Irons, opinions now that they have been out for a while

mikefjohnson

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay, read all the reviews on here and the 60 something page discussing these, but that thread died long time ago and I have a question.

Seems like there were a few people having issues with the cavity badging falling off, and TM replied saying there was a bad batch but the probelm was rectified. My question, anyone have any issues with newer sets??

I just bought these and I'm really hoping that those old issues are long gone. Also, since over a year has gone by since the release, any further long range opinions?

Just to note, I'm not a big TM fan, but these irons just felt great and seemed perfectly fitted to my 12 handicap game. It was a tough decision for me between these and the Wilson Staff Ci9s, but ultimately the R9s won out.

Thanks all!

I think you will find a ton of opinions in our long term review thread. Nobody that I know that got them later in the game had badge issues.

Yeah, I think TM just had a faulty batch of adhesive at some point, but i'd say that issue is long gone.

Congrats on picking up the R9's man, I love those irons. I agree with you about the feel, they just feel soft and great on the hands at impact.

I think you will find a ton of opinions in our long term review thread. Nobody that I know that got them later in the game had badge issues.

How long did you game them for? Ultimately you didn't keep them (at least according to your signature), so in the long run you must have found some fault in the them? Your review was so glowing, seems like they might of had a spot in your bag.

How long did you game them for? Ultimately you didn't keep them (at least according to your signature), so in the long run you must have found some fault in the them? Your review was so glowing, seems like they might of had a spot in your bag.

They were in my bag all season last year.

They were in my bag all season last year.

Got it, thanks. Was just following your sig so I thought you were playing the Clevelands. What you sporting this yr?

Got it, thanks. Was just following your sig so I thought you were playing the Clevelands. What you sporting this yr?

He has the CG16's in his bag now mike. He had the R9's in his bag all of last year. I know that JB really enjoyed the R9's, as did I. In fact, I would be very tempted to bag them myself, but I'm not sure I would want to sacrafice the extra distance I get out of the 2.0's

That is correct. I played the R9 irons all of last year and this year I am playing Cleveland CG16s so far.

Mike, I am still gaming the R9 irons and I absolutely love them. Haven't had badge issues since they replaced my last set last season. They were very cool about it all. I plan on playing these irons all this season too.

Thanks for all the input guys, it is sincerely appreciated!

Just out of curiousity, what kind of distance gains we talking with the 2.0s, like 5-10 yds?

Mike, I have the R9 as well. I have never had and issue with the badge. I love the feeling that the R9's have hitting the ball. I can feel mishits, but it makes up for them. I have had them since last May and still love them. I don't see anything replacing them in the near future. (I have not hit the new Tour Preferred CBs though)

I have a question for looper and dmb: you both have s300's in your R9's and not KBS shafts, how come?

I have a question for looper and dmb: you both have s300's in your R9's and not KBS shafts, how come?

I was curious with that as well.

Okay, read all the reviews on here and the 60 something page discussing these, but that thread died long time ago and I have a question.

Seems like there were a few people having issues with the cavity badging falling off, and TM replied saying there was a bad batch but the probelm was rectified. My question, anyone have any issues with newer sets??

I just bought these and I'm really hoping that those old issues are long gone. Also, since over a year has gone by since the release, any further long range opinions?

Just to note, I'm not a big TM fan, but these irons just felt great and seemed perfectly fitted to my 12 handicap game. It was a tough decision for me between these and the Wilson Staff Ci9s, but ultimately the R9s won out.

Thanks all!

If I had been accurate with them, I would have bought them. I absolutely loved the feel of these irons. And, for me, THEY WERE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.

I game these right now, they are smooth and very nice to hit. They have gret distance and like I said are like butter. Taking these out of the bag will take some convincing (CB or MC, depending on the song). I am sure you will love them. I was at golftown today and there was lady looking at them. I told her that I have them and they are awesome. She tried them, said I was right, walked out with them.
Cheers

I was curious with that as well.

Good question. Couple reasons, fellas. First, I have played with the s300s in the past and I am comfotable and confident with them. Second, I really like the weighting; it helps with my feel in the backswing. Finally, I like the trajectory the s300 produces with my swing, and the numbers on the monitor with the kbs, while good, did not provide enough advantage that made it worth changing something I already like.

I had the KBS shafts in them. GG sold them to me with a regular shaft in them and after playing with them for about 2 months I was still inconsistant with them. I went back to GG to get checked again and they recommended a stiff shaft this time. I told them about buying them from them how I was fitted for the wrong shaft. They made me a deal that they would install any of their shafts for free. I then had a choice between the Projects X's and the Dynamic Golds. After hitting both, we liked the flight of the Dynamic Golds. I deicided to go with those for $90. If I wanted to get the KBS stiff shafts, I would have had to pay another $100 bucks.

Mike, I was fitted into the R9 irons last summer and love them. I haven't had many chances to play since the new year, but as this season starts up for me, it'll take a really special set of irons to knock the R9 set out of the bag. They have a good bit of forgiveness in them, but I can hit different shots with those irons as well (everything isn't just straight), and I also like the simple looks of the irons. I've had no problems with the badges on the back of the clubs either.

Good question. Couple reasons, fellas. First, I have played with the s300s in the past and I am comfotable and confident with them. Second, I really like the weighting; it helps with my feel in the backswing. Finally, I like the trajectory the s300 produces with my swing, and the numbers on the monitor with the kbs, while good, did not provide enough advantage that made it worth changing something I already like.

I had the KBS shafts in them. GG sold them to me with a regular shaft in them and after playing with them for about 2 months I was still inconsistant with them. I went back to GG to get checked again and they recommended a stiff shaft this time. I told them about buying them from them how I was fitted for the wrong shaft. They made me a deal that they would install any of their shafts for free. I then had a choice between the Projects X's and the Dynamic Golds. After hitting both, we liked the flight of the Dynamic Golds. I deicided to go with those for $90. If I wanted to get the KBS stiff shafts, I would have had to pay another $100 bucks.

Thanks guys. For some reason I thought I already knew why both of you had S300's in your R9's but figured I would ask so that mike could get as much information as possible. Plus, it's just how I roll.

Thanks guys. For some reason I thought I already knew why both of you had S300's in your R9's but figured I would ask so that mike could get as much information as possible. Plus, it's just how I roll.

Thanks goodness you are already in the Morgan Cup. You have to have a memory like a Cheetah to answer the three questions the quickest. I have now memorized the last 3 months of THP.

Thanks goodness you are already in the Morgan Cup. You have to have a memory like a Cheetah to answer the three questions the quickest. I have now memorized the last 3 months of THP.

lol....I'm not blessed with much, but I have been blessed with a good memory my man. It also helps that I listen to all the radio shows and read all the reviews on the homepage :alien:

lol....I'm not blessed with much, but I have been blessed with a good memory my man. It also helps that I listen to all the radio shows and read all the reviews on the homepage :alien:

There is a frontpage! My bookmark only brings me to the forum! J/K

Back to the R9. I love them, but wonder if the TP CBs will take over the spot.

TGW has R9/R9 TP on sale today ($424/$509 respectively) if that makes your decision any better! haha

There is a frontpage! My bookmark only brings me to the forum! J/K

Back to the R9. I love them, but wonder if the TP CBs will take over the spot.

I've yet to hit the CB's, and I do enjoy hitting the R9's, but if the CB's feel better, I wouldn't hesitate to jump. I'm telling you, they look identical at address but I much prefer the weighting of the CB's. They just feel right.

I've yet to hit the CB's, and I do enjoy hitting the R9's, but if the CB's feel better, I wouldn't hesitate to jump. I'm telling you, they look identical at address but I much prefer the weighting of the CB's. They just feel right.

They look that way from the pictures people have posted. I love the way a R9 looks at address. Even though I thought the CG 16 I hit over the weekend looked great from address too. It is going to be hard to feel better than an R9 IMO.

Back