Ping Anser Face Lift

Bogey317

SeeMore Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
So I just finished my stepdad's Ping Zing putter. Well today, a co-worker of mine brought in a putter today that he got a Goodwill for $2. It is a Ping Anser. Well the shaft was rusted and the grip was crumbling away. With a few questions to HoosierGolfer (right now my Ping go to guy) I removed the shaft. I am going to work on this putter over the next week for my buddy. Ill toss some pics as I go. I think I found a new passion. I really like to make over putters.

9b816317d362fc92b6d7491d98137532f67891f0.JPG

Can anyone help me with the actual make of Anser? I know Ping has made several. This one has a slot cut in the bottom of it. I have never see an anser like that before.

Its an orginal Anser model. His earliest model's have that stamp with the arizona address in the back cavity. By original I mean when he first started to mass produce out of Arizona all his putters had that stamp in the back. I've got a ping zing 2 from that same time period. BTW saw your earlier thread re finishing the same putter. Great job!

The notch is to help improve the sound and therefore the feel.

Bogey, Your Anser is a later version. The orginal Anser's were all made in Scottsdale and will have the Scottsdale address. There were 7 versions made in Scottsdale if you count the Gary Player signature model.
The first Anser after the move to Phoenix is what has been coined the Dalehead because it was styled like the Scottsdale models in that the bumpers were rounded off where the one like your's has the square bumpers. There were two versions of the Dalehead, one had a rounded sole and one had a flat sole with the floating face (slot in sole) with 85029 zip. So after the move to Phoenix, the same mold style was used but had the Phoenix address in place of Scottsdale. All Scottsdale Anser's (and all Scottsdale Pings for that matter) have a much higher value.

Your Anser came after the Dalehead and is Pat. No D207,227 with the 85029 zip. The model like yours with Made in USA over the pocket means the body is slightly shorter than those that have Made in USA in the pocket instead of above. It was more than likely made after 1974 as that is when the Dalehead production ended. It is made of manganese bronze.

Later models with the Phoenix address have 85020 and 85068 zips. The 85029 zip re-appeared much later on the remakes of the original Scottsdale Anser's.

I cleaned up a very dirty Anser a few years ago. It was black when I got it. Cleaned it up using a vinegar/salt mixture. Came out shiny gold colored. Over a few months it turned to a nice clean brown/copper color and has stayed that way.

72208015.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the makeover. What a great find at the thrift store.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Something that I could see myself doing for fairly cheap!! Hope it turns out great for ya

I cleaned up a very dirty Anser a few years ago. It was black when I got it. Cleaned it up using a vinegar/baking soda mixture. Came out shiny gold colored. Over a few months it turned to a nice clean brown/copper color and has stayed that way.

Your Anser pictured is a much later 90's remake of the one Bogey317 is working on. Great putter!

So I had it in a Coca Cola bath for about 12 hours now. Here is a quick pic. I think I am going to let it soak for one more night... I have a Ping Blackout grip I am going to put on it along with a True Temper shaft.

e8136b391de3d2106c11fed99fdfb963cee3e755.JPG

Looks good. If you have some small files, they work very well for removing some of the small nicks. The MgBz is pretty soft and easy to work with. Makes for fun projects.

Looks good. If you have some small files, they work very well for removing some of the small nicks. The MgBz is pretty soft and easy to work with. Makes for fun projects.

I do have a small file. I might try it out on a few, see what I can do with it.

So I picked up a shaft and grip today. This next part shows where I am new at this. The shaft won't fit into the hosel of the putter head. There different size tips of putter shafts, or do I need to sand it down some?

Most Pings are 0.355. If you bought a 0.370 you will not be able to grind it enough.

Most Pings are 0.355. If you bought a 0.370 you will not be able to grind it enough.

Yup I got a 0.370. The guy at golfsmith said it would work. I told him it was for a Ping Anser. I am going to return it and get the right one. I should of done a little more research before I drove an hour and a half up there.

Yup I got a 0.370. The guy at golfsmith said it would work. I told him it was for a Ping Anser. I am going to return it and get the right one. I should of done a little more research before I drove an hour and a half up there.

I know your pain. I always go online at either Golfsmith or Golf Works and find what I'm needing, write down the item numbers and just ask them for the number. Too many sales guys think they know when really the don't.

Finally, I got to GolfSmith and exchanged the shaft. Putter is now complete. I think it looks pretty good if I say so myself. :thumb:

396360fa12b3dec7613ef1c2998eb66f064dfdfb.JPG

52116511d96ff893bc03a6b4eb739b3a4591c048.JPG

89416411d16bf49ebce54e10464d7c58353495a9.JPG

Turned out very nice. Classic old putter that deserves to be played.

Good job looks sweet.

Nice job. Looks really good.

Nice one! That will look good in any bag. Good work.

Nice work- but I don't see any stepped .355 putter shafts at Golfsmith. I need to re-shaft my Anser 2. Where do I get a stepped shaft like the one in your photo? Thanks

So I just finished my stepdad's Ping Zing putter. Well today, a co-worker of mine brought in a putter today that he got a Goodwill for $2. It is a Ping Anser. Well the shaft was rusted and the grip was crumbling away. With a few questions to HoosierGolfer (right now my Ping go to guy) I removed the shaft. I am going to work on this putter over the next week for my buddy. Ill toss some pics as I go. I think I found a new passion. I really like to make over putters. Can anyone help me with the actual make of Anser? I know Ping has made several. This one has a slot cut in the bottom of it. I have never see an anser like that before.
i have one just like that! it's a great looking, great feeling putter, but it's way too light to me..

Back