New Member - Looking for some club recommendations / critique my list of ideas

one thing I would really recommend is that you find a putter. 22 putts a 9 is not good, you could knock that down to 18 even 17 easily. so, 8 stokes a round will be a great improvement.

JT

I agree that the only real way to see if you like an Iron set is to go out and hit them. I have to put my 2 cents in on a good set to start out with though. I had a set of Nike Ignites that I was my first new set of clubs and they were game changers for me, so I am partial to the Nike game improvement irons like the MachSpeeds but you can probably fins the Sasquatch or the ignites on the internet for a lot cheaper. The Ignites changed my game and I really started feeling like an accurate 2nd shot person.

goodluck!

Ok so I am coming out of hibernation and resurrecting my thread from the dead...

I had a chance last week to go to the range and demo a handful of 6-irons, and one or two 7-irons. The staff at the range mentioned earlier in this thread was amazing! Even just hitting the demo irons, the guy watched me hit a half-dozen balls with each and made some small tweaks right there so I could get a good feel what it would be like gaming each set.

I hit the Ping G15, Mizuno MX1000, Callaway X24 HOT, TM Burner 1.0, Nike SQ Machspeed, and the Cobra S2.

I took the first batch of clubs (Taylormade, Nike, and Cobra) and hit quite a few balls. Nothing jumped out at me as amazing, but I was alway warming up and this was the first time I've swung a club since September. I took these back in and picked up the Ping G15 and the Mizuno MX1000.

This is where things get interesting. I think both the Ping G15 and the Mizuno's felt better than what I can tell of the first three. Overall, the Mizunos were the clear winner. The proshop had a set on sale for $599, which is an amazing deal on these, but sadly its a bit above what I think I can spend right now. The guy there told me to take a look at the Ping G10s (which they dont have any of).

I think I am going to go back on our next nice day and try to focus in on the same clubs (probably exclude the Mizunos at this point, due to cost) and see out of the remaining what feels the best the second time around. I really want to come in closer to $350 (I'll ebay or whatever) for an 8-club set. If I buy from them, they throw in fitting for free.

Can't wait for Spring!

I know where you will be able to get a set of Cleveland CG7 Black Pearls for a good price. Very forgiving but it will give you room to grow

Ok so I am coming out of hibernation and resurrecting my thread from the dead...

I had a chance last week to go to the range and demo a handful of 6-irons, and one or two 7-irons. The staff at the range mentioned earlier in this thread was amazing! Even just hitting the demo irons, the guy watched me hit a half-dozen balls with each and made some small tweaks right there so I could get a good feel what it would be like gaming each set.

I hit the Ping G15, Mizuno MX1000, Callaway X24 HOT, TM Burner 1.0, Nike SQ Machspeed, and the Cobra S2.

I took the first batch of clubs (Taylormade, Nike, and Cobra) and hit quite a few balls. Nothing jumped out at me as amazing, but I was alway warming up and this was the first time I've swung a club since September. I took these back in and picked up the Ping G15 and the Mizuno MX1000.

This is where things get interesting. I think both the Ping G15 and the Mizuno's felt better than what I can tell of the first three. Overall, the Mizunos were the clear winner. The proshop had a set on sale for $599, which is an amazing deal on these, but sadly its a bit above what I think I can spend right now. The guy there told me to take a look at the Ping G10s (which they dont have any of).

I think I am going to go back on our next nice day and try to focus in on the same clubs (probably exclude the Mizunos at this point, due to cost) and see out of the remaining what feels the best the second time around. I really want to come in closer to $350 (I'll ebay or whatever) for an 8-club set. If I buy from them, they throw in fitting for free.

Can't wait for Spring!

Free fitting is always nice.

Just updating the thread so I can reflect back later on my thoughts.

Hit some more/some of the same irons today:

Nike SQ Machspeed: I want to like these irons, but I just cant find anything about them that is great to me.
Taylormade Burner 2.0: Loved them. Great feel and forgiveness.
Cobra S2: Feel really nice, plenty forgiving. I'd put these on level ground with the Taylormade Burner 2's

Cobra S2 MAX: This honestly was the most forgiving iron I have ever hit. On mishits, they all went straight more or less- and it felt really solid at impact. Not quite the feel of the other irons, but it flew high and straight very, very consistently.

I am ready to pickup the S2 MAX at this point, but I think I'll try to hit the range one more time before I pull the trigger. The only thing that worries me about these clubs is that I will outgrow them rather quickly. Not too sure about this, really...just a thought.

Bonus: TGW.com has these on sale for $299 for 4-PW+GW...OOS for another month- but if they come back in stock at that price I am going to have to nab them.

Welcome to the fray. If you get a chance try to make a trip over to Illini Golf in Peoria. A great group of guys and lots of clubs to try out. They spent a good deal of time fitting me for my new irons. I played the Cobra S2 Max last year and had trouble with them. I found the wide sole gave me fits. They felt good when hit properly, but I am a sweeper and I kept cutting filets with them. Good luck with your decision.

Just updating the thread so I can reflect back later on my thoughts.

Hit some more/some of the same irons today:

Nike SQ Machspeed: I want to like these irons, but I just cant find anything about them that is great to me.
Taylormade Burner 2.0: Loved them. Great feel and forgiveness.
Cobra S2: Feel really nice, plenty forgiving. I'd put these on level ground with the Taylormade Burner 2's

Cobra S2 MAX: This honestly was the most forgiving iron I have ever hit. On mishits, they all went straight more or less- and it felt really solid at impact. Not quite the feel of the other irons, but it flew high and straight very, very consistently.

I am ready to pickup the S2 MAX at this point, but I think I'll try to hit the range one more time before I pull the trigger. The only thing that worries me about these clubs is that I will outgrow them rather quickly. Not too sure about this, really...just a thought.

Bonus: TGW.com has these on sale for $299 for 4-PW+GW...OOS for another month- but if they come back in stock at that price I am going to have to nab them.

i hit the Cobra S2 but not the max before i got my current set. I liked them and almost got a set. Thats a great price for all those clubs. I think cobra makes a good club.

TGW.com had the S2 Max on an even deeper discount @ $254 for a 4-PW+GW set...so they are ordered. Backordered until 4/12.

Can anyone recommend a typical lofting for wedges, assuming I'll have a 43* PW and 49* GW? My last set of irons had a 45* PW that I hit about 115-120.

54/58? 55/60?

I had a 60 deg before, and it almost was a little too lofted for me. I had to put it farther back in my stance to avoid shooting it sky high.

Back