Most Used Ball On Tour

Neat. I know at Aronimink he was using something a little different. His ball had a star on it.

Yeah he goes back and forth between a couple of different models. MOST of the time he is using a different ball. Ironically it is similar from what we have been told, just a compression difference. But he put the One Tour in play a few times as well.

Yeah he said he was playing a firmer ball, and he was bombing it all over that damn course.

Yeah he goes back and forth between a couple of different models. MOST of the time he is using a different ball. Ironically it is similar from what we have been told, just a compression difference. But he put the One Tour in play a few times as well.

What I find most interesting about that is that some guys are refusing to change balls or using older models, and he is switching them out week to week. What does that say about the state of his confidence or his game right now (as if I needed to point that out to anyone...)

I think it is because the ball is not as visible as clubs. When the ball is out there I can't tell who makes it, but most of the drivers and other club we can tell who make them. I think pros play clubs due to money a lot of times, but the ball they use what really works for them.

I couldn't agree with you more , by watching on t.v you have no clue whar ball is being used but you can tell what clubs they use

skimmed just a bit....but....

I wonder if this is big news? Was the last switch instantaneous when the new ball came out (in 09 wasn't it?), or do the pros just want to take their time getting used to the new one?

Either way, does it tell us there are significant differences in the performance characteristics of the 2?

skimmed just a bit....but....

I wonder if this is big news? Was the last switch instantaneous when the new ball came out (in 09 wasn't it?), or do the pros just want to take their time getting used to the new one?

Either way, does it tell us there are significant differences in the performance characteristics of the 2?

It was not immediate, but it appeared to be accepted much faster.

What I find most interesting about that is that some guys are refusing to change balls or using older models, and he is switching them out week to week. What does that say about the state of his confidence or his game right now (as if I needed to point that out to anyone...)

I dont think it says anything about confidence actually, it says that he is trying to find a ball that works for him as most people do. As his swing evolves he probably is looking for different characteristics in a golf ball. With him having a different attack angle then he has had in the past he might need a ball that spins more or spins less just based off that alone. And golfers like what they like, Stricker still uses an old Titleist 3wood, Stadler(sp?) was still using old Spalding irons until recently, Bubba Watson has been playing the S59's forever, Y.E. Yang is playing R9 irons still as is Sergio.

Question, do you guys think alot of companies will follow suit with the Rezin core technology as they did when Nike started the solid core golf ball? Do you guys see pros other than Nike staff switching to the 20XI ball?

You sure Nike created the first solid core golf ball?

I believe Spalding was the first back in the 70s and then Bridgestone was the first to do the first solid core multilayer urethane covered ball.

Tiger Woods I believe was the 1st to win on the PGA Tour with a solid core ball prompting Titleist to release the Pro V1 golf ball just months after Wally had said the wound ball was not dead.

I could be wrong in this stuff, but I am pretty sure that is the timeline as I remember it.

EDIT: In my research it appears TW was NOT the first to win with the solid core, he was merely the first to win with a Urethane covered solid core ball. There was actually solid core wins in the 90s by Nick Price, Faldo, etc...

Nick Price actually won the 1994 Open Championship and PGA Championship using a 2-piece solid core Precept golf ball, made by Bridgestone. Tiger won the first ever major with a solid core, multi-layer urethane cover golf ball. Nick Faldo won the Masters in 1996 with a 4-piece, solid core Precept golf ball (still had a surlyn cover), also made by Bridgestone. Tiger's success with the solid core, multi-layer urethane cover ball is what prompted Titleist to abandon the wound Professional and introduce the Pro V1. That golf ball, Nike's TW Accuracy, guess who it was also made by. : ) Seeing a pattern here.

I dont think it says anything about confidence actually, it says that he is trying to find a ball that works for him as most people do. As his swing evolves he probably is looking for different characteristics in a golf ball. With him having a different attack angle then he has had in the past he might need a ball that spins more or spins less just based off that alone. And golfers like what they like, Stricker still uses an old Titleist 3wood, Stadler(sp?) was still using old Spalding irons until recently, Bubba Watson has been playing the S59's forever, Y.E. Yang is playing R9 irons still as is Sergio.

I assume this answers your original question.

I assume this answers your original question.

It answered my question about the first solid core ball. My reply earlier related to Tiger lacking confience and therefore switching balls. I guess the revision to my question would be do you guys see other companies using this resin technology in their golf ball design?

It answered my question about the first solid core ball. My reply earlier related to Tiger lacking confience and therefore switching balls. I guess the revision to my question would be do you guys see other companies using this resin technology in their golf ball design?

Not at this time. In our talks, quite a few companies feel as though resin does not have the best performance in all temperatures.

I was just pointing out that while Nike is first with resin, they were not even close to being first with the solid core.

Nick Price actually won the 1994 Open Championship and PGA Championship using a 2-piece solid core Precept golf ball, made by Bridgestone. Tiger won the first ever major with a solid core, multi-layer urethane cover golf ball. Nick Faldo won the Masters in 1996 with a 4-piece, solid core Precept golf ball (still had a surlyn cover), also made by Bridgestone. Tiger's success with the solid core, multi-layer urethane cover ball is what prompted Titleist to abandon the wound Professional and introduce the Pro V1. That golf ball, Nike's TW Accuracy, guess who it was also made by. : ) Seeing a pattern here.

Bstoner, if im understanding you correctly, Nike designed the first solid core multi layer urethane covered golf? And was the first company to put that kind of ball in play? It was just manufactured at Brigestones plant? Is that correct?

Not at this time. In our talks, quite a few companies feel as though resin does not have the best performance in all temperatures.

I was just pointing out that while Nike is first with resin, they were not even close to being first with the solid core.

Yes i see, but they were they the first to design a solid core multi-layered golf ball with a urethane cover?

Yes i see, but they were they the first to design a solid core multi-layered golf ball with a urethane cover?

No, they were the first to WIN with a solid core urethane covered ball.

Bstoner, if im understanding you correctly, Nike designed the first solid core multi layer urethane covered golf? And was the first company to put that kind of ball in play? It was just manufactured at Brigestones plant? Is that correct?

Nope. Bridgestone designed the first ever solid core, multi-layer urethane covered golf ball. It was called the Precept MC TOUR Premium. What I said is that Tiger/Nike was the first company to win with that type of ball.

Good point - if I could figure out how to use the rep points I'd give you one hahaah (positive of course)

No, they were the first to WIN with a solid core urethane covered ball.

Nope. Bridgestone designed the first ever solid core, multi-layer urethane covered golf ball. It was called the Precept MC TOUR Premium. What I said is that Tiger/Nike was the first company to win with that type of ball.

I got it, thanks guys.

From one year to the next, do you really think you can tell that you lost or gained distance, accuracy and ball control from 100 to 150 yards away from the pin, just because you now play the most current model of a ball versus last years model? I doubt it. You probably lost or gained flexibility, weight, and/or muscle between the two seasons that had a larger impact on the differences.

Back