T.P. Mills Anvil Series "Ming" THP Putter Demo Thread

I finally got the chance to get the T P Mills on the course today and use it on actual greens. Luckily it is the exact length as my SC Red X2 so my comfort zone with this putter is great. I will put my initial thoughts in a spoiler thread in case any of the upcoming testers do not wish to read the thoughts of the earlier posters.

Spoiler
Spoiler
As I stated earlier this putter is absolutely gorgeous, the Ming is a plumbers neck model, a putter type I have not used for about 8 years. I am not sure the pictures that have been posted do it true justice. I use a center shafted mallet and thought the Ming would probably not appeal to my eye at set up. Boy was I wrong, it is such a good looking putter I believe it would appeal to anyone. As I had guessed the milling looks better in person than it looked in the early pics.
I used these balls today the Bridgestone B330-RX, the Bridgestone e5, the Polara 2 piece Ultimate Straight & the 3 piece Polara XS and I actually could put any of them in play with this putter and enjoy the round. All of the balls feel firm off of the face, but certainly not hard. The RX felt the "softest" yet I would still describe the feel as firm. The surprise for me was how good it made the e5 feel off of the putter face, I play them as a back up ball on occasion and the main reason I do not put them in play much more often is the feel off of the putter. With the Ming I would not hesitate to put the e5 in play with more regularity. I am currently testing the Polora balls so I will cover them in my write up in that thread.
I found distance control to be surprisingly good for a putter I had never used a style I have not used for years. I would say it is every bit as easy to lag long putts close as it is with my regular stick. Alignment is very easy also and the ball rolls true with a good putting stroke. The grip seems to be slightly larger than the one I use now and I like that a lot as it seems to firm up my wrists just a touch more and I seemed to actually make more 4 to 10 footers than normal. Tomorrow I may putt each putt with both putters and keep a score just to see.
Did I say this putter is absolutely gorgeous, I know all of the putter addicts are planning to buy this one. To be continued.....

Good stuff DD, I was literally coming here to see if you'd posted yet, great timing by me! What do you think of the sound? Its my favorite part lol

Nice read DD and Jman. May cannot get here fast enough.

Good stuff DD, I was literally coming here to see if you'd posted yet, great timing by me! What do you think of the sound? Its my favorite part lol
I must admit it is really nice. No loud smack, just a nice solid click.

Ohh baby. Coming to me very soon.

It is on the way. I shipped it out today via Priority Mail and sent you and Craig the tracking number. I decided to not keep it for 2 weekends and go ahead and get it in your hands. Here are my final thoughts.

Spoiler
I was able to get in 3 rounds and 1 extended putting scession. Everything I said about this putter in the 1st review still stands, it is a very solid instrument. I did really enjoy the feel, sound and results from using it and would not hesitate to put it in play regularly. I was especially impressed with how it preformed on long putts, I had only two 3 putts in the 3 rounds and they were both because I lifted my head wanting to watch the results on the long lag. I did not have the lie adjusted and believe if I had I would have putted it so well I may have been tempted to keep it and beg Craig to send Cl77 another. Good luck to each of the following testers and I cannot imagine anyone not liking this putter. I have been using a center shafted mallet for the last 8 years and my current putter for the last 7. I really thought going in that I would only think the Ming to be just alright, I definitely think the Ming is more than alright, it is an excellent choice and deserves heavy consideration for anyone in the market for a new flat stick.
Thank you THP and TP Mills and a special thank you to Craig, I appreciate the opportunity you gave each of us to test and review the Ming.

Below is my 1st review so you don't have to scroll back to read it.
I finally got the chance to get the T P Mills on the course today and use it on actual greens. Luckily it is the exact length as my SC Red X2 so my comfort zone with this putter is great. I will put my initial thoughts in a spoiler thread in case any of the upcoming testers do not wish to read the thoughts of the earlier posters.

Spoiler
Spoiler
As I stated earlier this putter is absolutely gorgeous, the Ming is a plumbers neck model, a putter type I have not used for about 8 years. I am not sure the pictures that have been posted do it true justice. I use a center shafted mallet and thought the Ming would probably not appeal to my eye at set up. Boy was I wrong, it is such a good looking putter I believe it would appeal to anyone. As I had guessed the milling looks better in person than it looked in the early pics.
I used these balls today the Bridgestone B330-RX, the Bridgestone e5, the Polara 2 piece Ultimate Straight & the 3 piece Polara XS and I actually could put any of them in play with this putter and enjoy the round. All of the balls feel firm off of the face, but certainly not hard. The RX felt the "softest" yet I would still describe the feel as firm. The surprise for me was how good it made the e5 feel off of the putter face, I play them as a back up ball on occasion and the main reason I do not put them in play much more often is the feel off of the putter. With the Ming I would not hesitate to put the e5 in play with more regularity. I am currently testing the Polora balls so I will cover them in my write up in that thread.
I found distance control to be surprisingly good for a putter I had not used for years. I would say it is every bit as easy to lag long putts close as it is with my regular stick. Alignment is very easy also and the ball rolls true with a good putting stroke. The grip seems to be slightly larger than the one I use now and I like that a lot as it seems to firm up my wrists just a touch more and I seemed to actually make more 4 to 10 footers than normal. Tomorrow I may putt each putt with both putters and keep a score just to see.
Did I say this putter is absolutely gorgeous, I know all of the putter addicts are planning to buy this one. To be continued.....

Saw on the delivery confirmation that the putter was delivered today, I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it CHunkylover77.

Was just about to post DD. I got the putter today and it is gorgeous. I really like how it frames the ball. Very soft almost muted feel when putting a ball which I like. Love how the putter frames the yellow ball I was rolling today. I will try and get to the practice green tomorrow to roll some putts outside. Thanks again TP Mills & THP for this opportunity to try out this putter. If this putter can make me a better putter it truly is a miracle worker. Also thanks DD for sending the putter my way. Now I need to remember to sign the cover which is a really nice headcover by the way.

Chunky, what are your thoughts on the putter so far?

Icey so far I am liking it. I love the head shape. Never played with a Ming before and it is a really pleasing shape to my eye. The feel is somewhat muted in a good way but with a pleasing thwack when you hit it. I have only been able to get to the practice green once so far but my distance control was really good. I like the feedback this putter gives. I can judge my distances with the tone of the thwack if that makes any sense lol. Very pleased thus far.

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed the putter so far. I should be setting up the Nellie demo
program when I return from vacation. Keep an eye out for that thread.

Last edited:
Hope you have a blast c3j, looking forward to seeing what folks think of the Nellie.

Hope you have a blast c3j, looking forward to seeing what folks think of the Nellie.

I just saw a pic of the nellie, holy cow that thing looks awesome!!!

Timing for this could be a little bit awkward as I'll be getting the new SeeMore Si3 Black to test and learn over the next few weeks and this should be here some time next month if I'm not mistaken. I'll try to re-check dates, but looks like its all about putters for a while here.

Just wondering what CL77 thought of the Ming? Spill it.

I'm working on that now Capt. I will post my thoughts soon. It certainly is a very nice putter. Shipped her out today via usps. Should get to the next in line either tomorrow or the day after.

I am slightly disappointed in the fact that I didn’t get more than one round in with this putter. Due to weather and work I was only able to play once. Add in the fact that the one round I played was at a course with pretty poor greens and that makes me a sad golfer. But I will give my thoughts on my one round plus carpet putting and one time on the practice green

Looks wise this putter is gorgeous. The Ming head shape was always one that I was lusting after online and in person it did not disappoint. The black ox finish is really nice in person and makes the mill marks really pop. The sole engravings are very nice and the white/red combo really goes well together. At address the head shape framed the ball in a very pleasing way to my eye. I just loved the looks of the hi toe. This is a beefy putter. I like it a lot

Feel wise was a little hit or miss for me. With a premium ball(Bridgestone B330-RXS, Titleist ProV1, and Cally Is) this putter feels fantastic. A very nice almost muted feel with a beautiful thwack sound at impact. I was quite surprised at the sound that came off the face of this putter. I was thinking that I would not get as audible a sound since it was a Carbon putter. I was wrong. I loved the sound. I would best describe it as a meaty thwack. I really feel this putter shines when paired with a premium ball. I was a little disappointed when it came to the lower end balls though. I tried it with a TM Burner Tour ball and a Cally HX Hot Bite. The feel was pretty harsh. I did not care for this pairing at all. If you are going to spring for this putter I would also make sure you use nicer balls.

Performance wise this putter performed nicely for me. I had what can only be described as my worst ball striking round all year. Chunked shot after shot and shanked a wedge as well. This made putting a premium and this putter did not disappoint. I found it very easy to line up and my lag putting was fantastic . I saved quite a few strokes yesterday due to hitting some solid 5-10 footers. I have struggled this year with my putting but I had a nice round with the Ming which was even more surprising due to the poor conditions of the greens.

Some other things I can talk about are the grip and weight. I really liked the grip. Seemed to put the putter in my fingers perfectly which is the grip I am trying out right now. Weighting on this putter is darn near perfect for me. I like a little bit of a heavier putter as it feels like it evens out my stroke. Head cover is pretty nice but nothing spectacular. I think by the end of this with everyone’s name on it, it will look pretty cool. I love a good Velcro cover as I find that the other types can fall off while riding in a cart. Plus I love the sound of ripping the Velcro as you are walking up to the green.

Final thoughts are mostly positive. For the money I think you get a great putter. I’m not sure this putter is going to be for me as I am going to be a mid range to cheaper ball and as I said I was not loving the feel with the lower end balls. I will say that the Ming head shape is incredible and I can see myself gaming this putter if I decide to stick with a premium ball. Thanks a lot to TP Mills & THP for allowing me to demo this putter. I think they have a big time winner in their hands with the Anvil series.

Nice writeup. Very honest.

Nice writeup. Very honest.

I agree with JR, man Cl, I hate that you only got in one round with it. I think you really missed out on getting to feel how truly sweet this putter really is. Oh well, we cannot control the weather.

Who is next in line? I know I am last.

I agree with JR, man Cl, I hate that you only got in one round with it. I think you really missed out on getting to feel how truly sweet this putter really is. Oh well, we cannot control the weather.

I do to. I wish I would have gotten the chance to play a round at a place that had nice greens. I come away feeling very positive about the Anvil though. Whoever winds up with this at the end will have themselves a real nice putter.

Great write up CL77. I will see if I can squeze you in an extra week toward the end of the season. I wonder how a mid priced ball feels in 90 degree weather instead of 60 degree weather. I liked to here your thoughts after trying it again.

That is a good point Capt. I bet it would feel softer in the hotter weather. Also I think that it has been mentioned that the retail will have deeper milling? Just wanted to confirm that the putter was delivered on the 6th.

OK, whereabouts is this gem now? I need updates people! Plus, I refuse to let this thread fall tot he second page, TP Mills is doing something way too cool for us here for thst to happen!

Here is a the order:
jman215 OK
DawgDaddy GA
CHunkylover77 NC
Johnboy12.5 VA
ddec0418 NY
Blugold WI
snap hook NV
Dirt_Guy IA
The_Due NE
IcyShanks NE
clam fist TN
Bogey317 IN
aggro AL

That is 13 people, if you want in, shoot me an email and I will put you on the list. RH PN Ming. Thanks to everyone, and I hope you enjoy your TWO weekends with the putter.

bumping this post. I think Johnboy has the putter ATM. I've been lurking in this thread because for a while, I can't wait to receive it soon.

bumping this post. I think Johnboy has the putter ATM. I've been lurking in this thread because for a while, I can't wait to receive it soon.

Man. I keep looking at it's current location vs. my order in the queue. Ouch.

Back