TaylorMade Kingdom Experience Diary

I'm trying to catch up on this thread best I can but this post could be one of the best posts ever on THP. I'm actually going to take a screen capture of this post, print it out, and take this with me to the range next time to try and incorporate some if these tips. Wonderful post Doc!!

I just landed and I wanted to post this.

I am sitting on the plane thinking about the different aspects of this weekend and I wanted to take few minutes talking about the lesson that Jim Flick gave to the whole group (the one where he was hitting 175 shots with his driver, while sitting on a chair). The reason I wanted to cover this is twofold. #1 it was flat out AWESOME and he covered so many things that I know the majority of us struggle with. And #2 it was during this lesson that our video camera batteries ran out (I am hoping that between the three of us we got it all).

One aspect I wanted to cover was the aspect of grip pressure. He went around and shook all of our hands, but he did so in order to get us to get a feeling of how we should be holding our club. This is going to be a hard thing to describe in words bit I know that I have this on camera so I will post it later. But it was so much looser than any of us expected. He was making all of us loosen up our grips and relax our wrists. He then told us to go and grab our drivers and 6 irons. He asked which one is heavier (the answer is the 6 iron). He had each of us hold up our 6 irons straight in front of us half way between vertical and horizontal. He then said that he wanted us to relax our grip and wrist to just before the point were the club would drop from this point. He said this is the grip and wrist pressure we should be holding this club. He had us repeat the same exercise with the driver. I urge you all to try this (it works for every club, except maybe the putter). Which do you think required more pressure to hold up? The 6 iron, so his point was that we should be holding our drivers with less pressure than all of our other clubs. But I don't know about you guys but I have a tendency to fall into the grip it 'n' rip it category when it comes to my driver. It is amazing how much we shoot ourselves in the foot in this game.

The next aspect of his lesson I wanted to talk about is weight distribution. I posted earlier a out Jim Flick telling me that I was throwing my hips like a stripper. Well this brought up the question of weight transfer. First off he asked me which was more important to shift my weight or to have the clubhead square at impact? I answered the latter, which resulted in the stripper comment :) He then asked if our weight should be more on our front foot after hitting a driver or a 6 iron? I think someone answered that the weight should be transferred the same no matter the club, which Jim emphatically disagreed with. He said that when we hit a driver at finish our weight should be more evenly distributed with the driver than with 6 iron. So with a 6 iron our weight should be much more on our front foot at finish than a driver at finish. In fact to give a bit of insight into Jim and my personal lesson. He saw that I was shifting my weight too much with my driver (which is legitimately what I thought I was supposed to do), so be had me hitting drives while keeping my back foot on the ground. Try it! It is super difficult, but I'll tell you what it totally works! Now for the reasoning of this. With the driver we tee it up, so we do not want to hit down on it, we want to hit up. In order to do this we must leave more weight on our back foot.

Lastly we came to the tip which had him hitting balls while sitting in a chair. He was demonstrating the idea that if you want to bit the ball further you don't grip the club tighter and you don't swing you hips through faster. He said that for the golf swing 80% of our distance comes from our upper body (which blew my mind because I was always told the opposite). So the way to hit the ball further are to change your club (club up) or bring the club back further (although he is not a fan of reaching way back just to gain a few more yards, he told me that from his experience this only negatively affects a players outcomes). So he sat in the chair and hit a ball 75 yards. He actually directed one of the fitters to grab him a 75 yard ball, which be hit 75 yards. Then he asked for a 100 yard ball and hit that 100 yards. This proceeded to a 125 yard ball, a 150 yard ball, and finally a 175 yard ball. Each ball was hit perfectly at his target although he got mad at the fitter because he gave him a 178 yard ball instead of the 175 yard ball :D. Again the point being that he didn't have to throw he hips at the target, instead with each swing he went back a bit further and generated a bit more clubhead speed. These were all lessons that I needed to hear and lessons that I know will help my game immensely. I hope you all are able to benefit from this as much as I will.

PS sorry if I have a ton of typing errors I have been posting everything for the last few days from my phone.

Thanks for the love guys! I just feel so privileged to have been a part of this and I want to do everything I can to share it with my fellow THPers. The video of my Trackman session is uploading as we speak (albeit very slowly). I can't wait for you all to see it because it even made my jaw drop... and I was was there.

Okay the videos are slow uploading, but here is the first one. This is Jim Flick talking to me about my swing. He just finished saying "Steve, why are you throwing your hips at the target like a stripper giving a lap dance?" You will here the words "lap dance" when it starts. I hope you enjoy!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was the apex of the trip for you guys...Wow, I'm just speechless at how amazing this experience was for you all, and video after video just makes it even more memorable. Cheers Gentelmen!

just got caught up....again and it looks like you guys were just in aww the whole time. I know I would have been.

The introduction from each of the TMaG staffers...kind of hard to hear some of them. Look at who's standing right next to me, amazing!
[video=youtube;ovLnMJ-NvB0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovLnMJ-NvB0[/video]

The introduction from each of the TMaG staffers...kind of hard to hear some of them. Look at who's standing right next to me, amazing!
[video=youtube;ovLnMJ-NvB0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovLnMJ-NvB0[/video]

Flick even has a great sense of humor!! Awesome! Thanks for the video P4B!

Perfect end to a perfect trip

a6cd882e-69e6-c795.jpg

Now this is just salt in the wounds! Just kidding...

...and we're heading outside!!!

I love the qoute "This driving range is nicer than any course in South Dakota" did I hear you correctly? Awesome.

All in all I finally got to read through all the posts I believe and truly just INCREDIBLE insite from all of you. This truly made not winning the contest okay as GG said, I felt like I was a part of it considering how in depth your write ups and of course the videos are. LOVE IT! Thank you guys and thanks THP and Taylormade for making such an experience possible!

The Jim Flick grip pressure tip I know for sure I will be trying, that alone is worth its weight in gold.

Who are the other guys in the group not from THP? Were they other contest winners? My apologies if I missed the post where they were pointed out...

I've got to say I was thoroughly impressed before with Taylormade but now I can't even begin to explain my interest and respect for them. I'm a huge Dustin Johnson (and Natalie Gulbis) fan and to know the work that goes into and the care that Taylormade shows is beyond words.

Thanks for taking a couple hours out of my monday, it was well worth it to read all of this great stuff.

Who are the other guys in the group not from THP? Were they other contest winners? My apologies if I missed the post where they were pointed out...
No biggie SS, we didn't really talk much about those guys. They were from another site that had the same contest.

I enjoyed those last 2 videos P4B, glad you put that Flip to good use

Here is a video of Jim Flick showing us how to hit a ball without all that lower body movement. (Stripper move)
Jim was amazing to talk with and so approachable and the knowledge goes without saying.

Last edited:
Okay my internet seems to be working again. Here are the promised videos of my TrackMan time. The pro that you see working with me is Stoney, he is awesome!

I was hitting my own driver so poorly they wanted me to hit it again so they could get some better numbers to compare with it. This shot was hit perfectly and notice the difference when you compare this one best shot with my old driver vs. the average from the R11. It is impressive!

A final look at the numbers and numbers don't lie!

Dang buddy that Ping was dragging you down, great numbers. And I have to say I absolutely love the sound of that driver.

Here's another video that I took of Dr. Teeth absolutely smashing his R-11.

DrumDog I am sooo glad you had that on camera. Such a huge thing that Flick says there at the end. LET YOUR BODY SUPPORT THE SWINGING OF THE INSTRUMENT!!! That is my new mantra!

DrumDog I am sooo glad you had that on camera. Such a huge thing that Flick says there at the end. LET YOUR BODY SUPPORT THE SWINGING OF THE INSTRUMENT!!! That is my new mantra!

Dr. great videos and swing buddy, you were smashing that bad boy. When you go to bed tonight i want you to think about how JEALOUS we all are lol. I love my R11 and i hope yours treats you well, which it looks like it is. I need to get fit for a shaft after hearing all your guys stories.

Here I am, working with Stoney to get the R-11 dialed in.
At this point, I am on my 3rd different shaft and I don't know how many settings we tried with each of those shafts.
Stoney (Alan) was so great to work with and it turns out, he grew up about 130 miles from my home in Washington.

Okay the videos are slow uploading, but here is the first one. This is Jim Flick talking to me about my swing. He just finished saying "Steve, why are you throwing your hips at the target like a stripper giving a lap dance?" You will here the words "lap dance" when it starts. I hope you enjoy!
/QUOTE]

Doc - What an awesome video ! So very cool :thumb:

This thread is just freaking incredible. You guys did an exceptional job documenting your experience. I LOVED the fitting and lesson videos and the tips from Flick were spectacular. Can't say enough how great this is.

Okay my internet seems to be working again. Here are the promised videos of my TrackMan time. The pro that you see working with me is Stoney, he is awesome!

I was hitting my own driver so poorly they wanted me to hit it again so they could get some better numbers to compare with it. This shot was hit perfectly and notice the difference when you compare this one best shot with my old driver vs. the average from the R11. It is impressive!

A final look at the numbers and numbers don't lie!

WOW Doc! After watching these videos I think my partner Rbelbin & Biggsy had better watch out on the long drive contest at WPB :banana::golf2::thumb:!!! Great job buddy.

Here is P4B....feelin' good !!

Awesome videos!!

Have to ask though, who was the chick filming you dr. teeth? :act-up:

Money !!
Now we've got this R-11 really dialed in and Pete (he runs the Kingdom) is calling out the numbers.

[video=youtube;k8-sG2pngIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8-sG2pngIs[/video]

Awesome videos!!

Have to ask though, who was the chick filming you dr. teeth? :act-up:

i hope it was the one in the other vid that works for TM :) lol she's gorgeous

Back