Apple iPad. Did you get one?

it is a penny auction site and I am addicted to it. Bunch of x24 iron sets are on there too.

Interesting. Ive heard of them. But Ive never had the cajones to try it.

I think many of you are not giving the iPad it's due. In fairness, I am NOT an apple fanboy. I still use a BB Bold phone and own 2 HP laptops, but have had several ipods since college and have owned the original iPad for 2 months or so. While I agree that it is not ideal for everyone, there are PLENTY of uses where I prefer to use the iPad vs my laptop.

1. Travel - I travel every week for work. My iPad gets over 9 hours of battery life. That sure beats carrying 3 laptop batteries or trying to hunt down an AC outlet in the airport to recharge during layovers. Has anyone on here very actually tried to use a laptop during a flight? Not easy to do, especially when the person in front of you reclines their chair back and nearly snaps your laptop screen as it gets pinched between the tray. It also replaces your Kindle/Nook, e-reader. The iBooks app will save you from carrying either of those devices or a book or 2 in your bag; let alone your trusty golf digest, etc. The touch keyboard is not ideal for long emails, but how often do you type long emails during travel? Mostly, just replies and appointments.

2. Medical Profession - These will be huge in the medical profession, mark my words. Nurses dont want to haul a PC cart into every room to document on a patient chart. Nor do doctors want to stop and enter orders at a standard PC. Instead they will use an ipad (or competitor) to do the charting / enter orders at the bedside. Tablets wont work for these tasks because the battery life is so horrendous. Think theft will deter the use in hospitals; there are apps available to enable an alarm if the ipad leaves a certain radius from a wireless network (similar to how restaurant pagers work).

3. Kids - Kids love these things because of all the games they can play. Games cant be played easily by kids on laptops on the go because of the lack of a mouse & awkward use of the touchpad.

The software updates in the operating system allows multi-tasking (think listen to music while browsing the web). I also dont agree that they are the same price as laptops. They are the same price as SOME laptops, but definitely not all. I agree that the ipad2 wasnt a big enough improvement to make me upgrade, but my ipad was well worth the investment.

I didn't buy into the kool aide on the first one, but just ordered an iPad2 last night. A white one to match my R11 ofcourse! It isn't going to be delivered until April 14th though. I am kind of shocked apple didn't have a lot of these made beforehand.

Got some friends who have them but its not for me.

My parents recently bought the $600 iPad and a couple weeks ago when they were visiting I got the chance to use it. I used it on my home internet network and I thought that it was slower than my laptop (Sony Vaio), didnt like that it doesnt show some of the webpage graphics, that the font was very small and that the smaller screen size forced me to spend considerably more time scrolling.
All in all, the iPad is probably great if you spend a lot of time traveling but I dont read many ebooks and Im not travelling all the time (and I like to unplug when I do), so I dont have an interest in owning one.

I at first thought the ipad was going to fail and that I would never get one. However, my parents got me one for xmas and I can say that my view has now changed. The number one reason I say this is magazines. Not many do this yet but you can buy magazines through it and you can read them anytime you want! Now with the new newspaper on it "the daily" it has a fresh twist that I think will spread like wild fire to the magazines on the ipad where you have web links, videos, pictures, etc. all in you magazine articles.

I also like to brows on it. No serious work on it as i do not particularly like typing on it as I can do so much more on a traditional laptop of desktop with a mouse and keyboard. However, I would say it is the perfect surfing the internet device when you just want to read and look things up or read magazines and such. THere are also some great games on it that can be shared with others such as RISK and SCRabble.

I do wish it supported flash but other than that I would say it is a really nice thing to have. I also think it will be alot nice for traveling as even with my 13" macbook it was hard to watch movies on the plane rides that had no tv in the headrest as when the person reclines infront of you....you might as welll get gut checked with a hockey stick.

I have a kindle and a computer - not sure why I would get one ..... however I have thought about it.

I have to admit Im thinking of dumping my netbook, which I dislike quite a bit, for an iPad2.

I think many of you are not giving the iPad it's due. In fairness, I am NOT an apple fanboy. I still use a BB Bold phone and own 2 HP laptops, but have had several ipods since college and have owned the original iPad for 2 months or so. While I agree that it is not ideal for everyone, there are PLENTY of uses where I prefer to use the iPad vs my laptop.

1. Travel - I travel every week for work. My iPad gets over 9 hours of battery life. That sure beats carrying 3 laptop batteries or trying to hunt down an AC outlet in the airport to recharge during layovers. Has anyone on here very actually tried to use a laptop during a flight? Not easy to do, especially when the person in front of you reclines their chair back and nearly snaps your laptop screen as it gets pinched between the tray. It also replaces your Kindle/Nook, e-reader. The iBooks app will save you from carrying either of those devices or a book or 2 in your bag; let alone your trusty golf digest, etc. The touch keyboard is not ideal for long emails, but how often do you type long emails during travel? Mostly, just replies and appointments.

2. Medical Profession - These will be huge in the medical profession, mark my words. Nurses dont want to haul a PC cart into every room to document on a patient chart. Nor do doctors want to stop and enter orders at a standard PC. Instead they will use an ipad (or competitor) to do the charting / enter orders at the bedside. Tablets wont work for these tasks because the battery life is so horrendous. Think theft will deter the use in hospitals; there are apps available to enable an alarm if the ipad leaves a certain radius from a wireless network (similar to how restaurant pagers work).

3. Kids - Kids love these things because of all the games they can play. Games cant be played easily by kids on laptops on the go because of the lack of a mouse & awkward use of the touchpad.

The software updates in the operating system allows multi-tasking (think listen to music while browsing the web). I also dont agree that they are the same price as laptops. They are the same price as SOME laptops, but definitely not all. I agree that the ipad2 wasnt a big enough improvement to make me upgrade, but my ipad was well worth the investment.

I agree. (Although I am an apple fan girl). I know someone who got one for his dad, who is older and not into computers. I use mine at work more than I thought I would for note taking and task management.

I have to admit Im thinking of dumping my netbook, which I dislike quite a bit, for an iPad2.

Only bad thing about ipad (IMO) is that flash does not work. If you need/use flash a lot on your netbook, then that is a downside. Even if you need flash, I say get an ipad anyway I like mine so much. I have v1, but may get ipad2 for my birthday next month.

I wasn't going to get an iPad, then I heard about handbrake and being able to rip DVDs on it and I changed my mind. We are going to Florida next week and this thing is going to be a lifesaver on the plane with my two daughters.

I have been using my wife's iPad and I have loved it. Like others have stated, no flash player stinks. I also have wished it had a spot for sd cards. Overall it is still a great device

I thought about getting one just to play with while I'm watching football. I like to mess with my fantasy football and keep up with my scores... So, for that reason, I think it would be worth it to me.

I have been using my wife's iPad and I have loved it. Like others have stated, no flash player stinks. I also have wished it had a spot for sd cards. Overall it is still a great device

You can buy a $40 adapter that will allow you to plug in an SD card to upload your pictures. WE got one but you cant use it to add memory to it at all.

Only bad thing about ipad (IMO) is that flash does not work. If you need/use flash a lot on your netbook, then that is a downside. Even if you need flash, I say get an ipad anyway I like mine so much. I have v1, but may get ipad2 for my birthday next month.

That's what keeps me away. And I am an Apple fan. But without flash it really limits access to many websites and applications. It's pretty cool, but I can't think of any area where it would keep the Macbook Pro out of my carry on luggage.

That's what keeps me away. And I am an Apple fan. But without flash it really limits access to many websites and applications. It's pretty cool, but I can't think of any area where it would keep the Macbook Pro out of my carry on luggage.
I believe you can download sky fire to run flash.

I finally found an iPad 2 for my wife today at a local Walmart. I called an they only had 3 left 1 16 gb white and 2 64 gb ones. I asked them to hold it but they wouldn't. I jumped in the car and drove about 16 miles to get to it. Luckily it was still there. There was a lady that just picked the two 64 gb ones. So when we walked over to get it out of the case I noticed there were 2 of the 16 gb white ones sitting there. I then came to ultimate life changing decision right there. Should I just by one for my wife or treat myself too! So you can guess what I did. I bought both of them. I didn't think THP on tapatalk would look so great! THP is beautiful on an iPad 2. I just love it.

I finally found an iPad 2 for my wife today at a local Walmart. I called an they only had 3 left 1 16 gb white and 2 64 gb ones. I asked them to hold it but they wouldn't. I jumped in the car and drove about 16 miles to get to it. Luckily it was still there. There was a lady that just picked the two 64 gb ones. So when we walked over to get it out of the case I noticed there were 2 of the 16 gb white ones sitting there. I then came to ultimate life changing decision right there. Should I just by one for my wife or treat myself too! So you can guess what I did. I bought both of them. I didn't think THP on tapatalk would look so great! THP is beautiful on an iPad 2. I just love it.

nice work DMB, glad you like it. The real question is, how many brownie points did it earn you with your wife?

nice work DMB, glad you like it. The real question is, how many brownie points did it earn you with your wife?

I hope enough for a new set of TP CB irons after the outing. She is super pumped, but has a stomach bug. She will get more excited after the bug goes away.

Word around the rumor mill is that there's already an iPad 3 targeting a fall release...

I doubt that about the iPad 3 as apple seems to only update their products in yearly cycles....and there is never an extreme change either. I'm waiting for the next iPhone so I can get a 4 for $100

Word around the rumor mill is that there's already an iPad 3 targeting a fall release...

I doubt that about the iPad 3 as apple seems to only update their products in yearly cycles....and there is never an extreme change either. I'm waiting for the next iPhone so I can get a 4 for $100

You got that right. Some major news reports have said that only speculation leads to the IPad 3 in the fall because the competitors caught up and passed the 2nd version pretty quickly, but they wont change things, they dont need to. Now new IPhone will happen, as always, but expect it later this year.

Wow, just went through all 7 pages of this thread and am a little shocked with all the hate over the iPad? Listen, I know you either hate Apple or you like 'em. There doesn't seem to be a middle road with most people when it comes to Apple vs Microsoft. The iPad is what YOU make of it. Personally, it is a great toy for me and my kids. They watch movies, play games, are learning different things with all the kid apps they have. I use it for websurfing, email, some games and a couple of cool presentation things we can do for work. DropBox is great.....throw everything you might need on a business trip and can pull it up in a matter of seconds for viewing. Is it the end all answer to getting rid of the laptop - No. It never was intended to replace the laptop so for those that get frustrated that it's not a laptop, well, your going to continue to be frustrated. It does work for some business people. It does work for most entertainment people. It does work for most day to day people that want a cool new toy. But I do know that my personal PC use time had gone down 75% since I purchased the orig. iPad.

And for those that want flash (although in a couple of years will probably be gone) Flash did give in to Apple: http://www.businessinsider.com/adobe-gives-in-to-apple-releases-flash-to-html-converter-2011-3?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Falleyinsider%2Fsilicon_alley_insider+%28Silicon+Alley+Insider%29

I can see myself getting one in a year or so once the prices come down.

Back