TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Yeah, I suppose I am trying to find that sensation of stopping at the top (without actually stopping). I just get quick duey, and getting quick kills me. It makes me inconsistent with my direction. When I'm smoothing it back and through, I'm a much better ball striker, and i'm finding that I'm actually hitting the ball further due to it.

That makes sense. I think for me its all in the transition and some lessons this spring should help. If I don't make that stop I start shifting my lower body at the wrong time and can send the ball either way, lol.

The R11 7 - Wood I am testing has pushed one of my favorite hybrids out of the bag. Not just because it's my job to do a long term review on this wood, but because how it is performing. This is no doubt the honeymoon phase with the 7 - wood and we all go through that with new clubs. This little club inspires confidence when I'm over the ball. The white head was something I was not sure would fit my eye. It does not bother me at all and in fact it has grown on me. Have I hit some awkward shots, yep you going to do that. I have had a couple push shots to the right and that was before I changed the club to the open position. When I initially took it to the course it was in the standard neutral position. I had some really quack hooks as did one of my low handicapper friends. I changed my target to the far right side to combat the hook and pushed a couple of shots right with a block swing. The next nine holes my wife brought a R9 wrench and the setting was adjusted to the open setting. That was what I needed and the club has performed very well for me. I have hit some low hot draws but they were in the fairway with a ton of roll out. I think some of the low shots I have hit are a result of adjusting to the longer club as hybrids have been my weapon of choice.The normal trajectory for this club is a nice booming high flight that is awesome. In the past while using a fairway wood I had a tendency to hit on top of the ball. No doubt it was a swing flaw but also contributed by not liking the longer shaft in FW woods. The R11 7 - wood is quickly winning me over. Off the tee I could play this thing on any short par four with confidence. Heck in fact I love hitting it off par fives so I get to hit it again on my next shot. I am loving this little beast!

Awesome write up gray! As of right now, I've got the 4wood on neutral and standard and it's just firing bullets. I'm pointing and shooting and it's obliging. As of right now the superfast 15* is out of the bag (the 4 wood is longer) and the 2 hybrid is out of the bag...and I'm really contemplating trying the r11 driver.

Tap before talk.

I know many will say they are the same line, but I find them to be very different clubs personally.
Well I value your opinion. It's a shame, if the driver was as fun to hit as the 4 wood - my supertri would be in Some deep snow.

Tap before talk.

Nice write up TC, interesting that your misses are a little towards the heel now, is the shaft longer than your Miyazaki, or perhaps a different weight? Great that you shot a 79 on your first round with it though, that says a lot right there on a Biggsy type course.
Good stuff Gray, I know how hard it must feel to drop a beloved hybrid, but its great that it is now working for you. I've never personally hit a 7 wood ever, so I am very interested to see how you like it as the testing goes on.

The shaft in the R11 is 45.75'' long where as the R9 is 45.5'' so I don't think that the 1/4'' is messing with me too much. I just need more time with it right now, and I need to constantly remind myself to smooth my swing (just more in general, not b/c of the driver)

Thanks guys and the long term journey with the TM 7 - wood with be interesting to say the least. I was honestly hoping for a 3 or 4 wood to test but now, I have made a new friend with the TM 7 - wood. It could be a lifetime friend :thumb:

Due -- The tape is a great idea! KellyBo has some in her bag. Her coach gave it to her at her last lesson and it shows where the ball is struck on the face. I will use some on my next round.

OG, are you pondering other fairway woods now?

Yeah, I suppose I am trying to find that sensation of stopping at the top (without actually stopping). I just get quick duey, and getting quick kills me. It makes me inconsistent with my direction. When I'm smoothing it back and through, I'm a much better ball striker, and i'm finding that I'm actually hitting the ball further due to it.

I actually think of a three syllable word and smoothly say two on the way up and the last portion on the way down (e.g. Hollywood). It really helps me with my tempo when I practice because I tend to get extremely quick as well. Nice review

What setting worked out for you looper?

I have noticed that 2 settings are good for me: 1) I open it up to "lower", keep the plate at standard and the heavier weight in the toe; and (2) open it up to "lower" but upright, put the plate at open and the heavier weight in the toe. Route number 2 appears to be fairly similar to #1, but with just a little more height.

You?

The shaft in the R11 is 45.75'' long where as the R9 is 45.5'' so I don't think that the 1/4'' is messing with me too much. I just need more time with it right now, and I need to constantly remind myself to smooth my swing (just more in general, not b/c of the driver)

Definitely took me numeous swings to get used to the shorter shaft. I am definitely in the same boat with thinking "smooth swing"... that goes for every club in the bag for me. I have a tendency sometimes to swing harder and not faster, if you know what I mean.

I've been considering the R11 Driver/FW/Hybrid vs the Superfast 2.0 D/FW/Hy, I haven't had a chance to hit them all yet, but as a higher handicapper, (20ish), I think the 11 line would be better as the clubs would be able to change as my swing and skill gets better. Anyone have any thoughts on having the adaptability to change as you skill increases?

Here are some pics of the TaylorMade 5 wood that i just got in the mail thanks to THP and TaylorMade. I really like the headcover and how easy it is to take off the the hand strap and put back on. taking some practice swings in the yard i really like the how the weight of this club feels and i am really looking forward to swinging it out on the range this afternoon.
PICT0735.jpg

PICT0734.jpg

PICT0733.jpg

PICT0744.jpg

The R11 7 - Wood I am testing has pushed one of my favorite hybrids out of the bag. Not just because it's my job to do a long term review on this wood, but because how it is performing. This is no doubt the honeymoon phase with the 7 - wood and we all go through that with new clubs. This little club inspires confidence when I'm over the ball. The white head was something I was not sure would fit my eye. It does not bother me at all and in fact it has grown on me. Have I hit some awkward shots, yep you going to do that. I have had a couple push shots to the right and that was before I changed the club to the open position. When I initially took it to the course it was in the standard neutral position. I had some really quack hooks as did one of my low handicapper friends. I changed my target to the far right side to combat the hook and pushed a couple of shots right with a block swing. The next nine holes my wife brought a R9 wrench and the setting was adjusted to the open setting. That was what I needed and the club has performed very well for me. I have hit some low hot draws but they were in the fairway with a ton of roll out. I think some of the low shots I have hit are a result of adjusting to the longer club as hybrids have been my weapon of choice.The normal trajectory for this club is a nice booming high flight that is awesome. In the past while using a fairway wood I had a tendency to hit on top of the ball. No doubt it was a swing flaw but also contributed by not liking the longer shaft in FW woods. The R11 7 - wood is quickly winning me over. Off the tee I could play this thing on any short par four with confidence. Heck in fact I love hitting it off par fives so I get to hit it again on my next shot. I am loving this little beast!

Great write up Gray, how do you feel it is off the tee? I am most concerned about this. Do you get a nice penetrating traj or do you pop it up pretty high?

Nice glad you got it. I am definatley liking that headcover as well from the pics I have seen. I guess that just leaves me and Dent on the waiting list. I wonder if they are sending out the T3 as well as the regular 3W. Cant wait to hear your thoughts on the performance and some visual feedback on this.

Nice glad you got it. I am definatley liking that headcover as well from the pics I have seen. I guess that just leaves me and Dent on the waiting list. I wonder if they are sending out the T3 as well as the regular 3W. Cant wait to hear your thoughts on the performance and some visual feedback on this.

What's the T3? Strong 3 wood?

I think 9-Iron is waiting as well.

I'm not sure on lofts for a T3 or the reg 3w but is the T3 13*?

Not positive but I believe so and the regular 3W being 15*.

I like strong 3W's Dent mostly because my driver loft tends to be quite low so the strong 3 wood nicely fills the gap between the driver and the #3 hybrid. For example the specs the fitters want me into is 7.5 in the driver, 13.5 for the FW, 18/19 for the hybrid for the long game gapping.

I will say this though, I find strong 3 woods diabolical off the turf. For me, they are a tee only club.

I like strong 3W's Dent mostly because my driver loft tends to be quite low so the strong 3 wood nicely fills the gap between the driver and the #3 hybrid. For example the specs the fitters want me into is 7.5 in the driver, 13.5 for the FW, 18/19 for the hybrid for the long game gapping.

I will say this though, I find strong 3 woods diabolical off the turf. For me, they are a tee only club.

Hey guys,

My R11 FW arrived today and it is the T3 14*. The regular 3W this year is 15.5* as opposed to last year's 15*. I just unboxed it and am still a little gitty from the morgan cup. I am taking some pics now and will take it to the course in an hour or so. I will have a full write up with pics tonight. I will say that this doesn't appear any bigger than my R9 3 wood. I hit a T3 a while back that looked more like a mini driver, but the R11 T3 still looks like a traditional fairway wood. I will have a lot of info later tonight.

Ive found the 13* 3W to be awesome off the tee when I can control it but man it can be difficult off the turf.

Your post was looking great until you said it's a tee only club :D I am in the exact situation and have a large gap between the driver and 3H so when you said it's a good filler I got excited. I need something versatile though and being unable to hit a T3 off the deck would probably steer me away a little bit. Then again if I have a 3H when will I ever need to hit 3w off the fairway.

Hey guys,

My R11 FW arrived today and it is the T3 14*. The regular 3W this year is 15.5* as opposed to last year's 15*. I just unboxed it and am still a little gitty from the morgan cup. I am taking some pics now and will take it to the course in an hour or so. I will have a full write up with pics tonight. I will say that this doesn't appear any bigger than my R9 3 wood. I hit a T3 a while back that looked more like a mini driver, but the R11 T3 still looks like a traditional fairway wood. I will have a lot of info later tonight.

Sweet Dawg! So that leave a 3 wood out there to be shipped. Looking forward to your results. I assume no wrench was included correct?

Good stuff man thanks for the update and the specs.

Your post was looking great until you said it's a tee only club :D I am in the exact situation and have a large gap between the driver and 3H so when you said it's a good filler I got excited. I need something versatile though and being unable to hit a T3 off the deck would probably steer me away a little bit. Then again if I have a 3H when will I ever need to hit 3w off the fairway.

Sweet Dawg! So that leave a 3 wood out there to be shipped. Looking forward to your results. I assume no wrench was included correct?

Everything was included...wrench, headcover, and paperwork.

Initially that was my concern as well but it hasn't played out like that. I have yet to come up with a situation where I need to hit the ball farther then my #3 hybrid can go from the fairway. If I do, generally the better play is to use something else to get into scoring range instead. If you're really concerned with the gap what about taking out your 4 iron and go for a #2/#4 hybrid setup? The #2 would increase your length from the turf if that's what you need while the #4 would be more of an all purpose club. It wouldn't be as long as the #3H but would still get most jobs done and perhaps give you better spacing.

Or you might just have a whack with the 13 and have no problems with it and this becomes a moot point.

Back