TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Ive found the 13* 3W to be awesome off the tee when I can control it but man it can be difficult off the turf.

Right there with you. Any idea the shaft weight in your Cleveland? One of the things I've found is that the shaft makes a big difference in how the 13er plays. For example when trying them out if I roll with my standard fairway shaft which generally clocks in at 75 to 85g it's great off the tee as expected. When I drop the weight down to 65g or so, it gets better off the turf but becomes a whole lot harder to control off the tee.

Everything was included...wrench, headcover, and paperwork.

Hmmm I did not get a wrench in my box but no big deal. I had the R9 wrench and it works great. I went to town today and the 4- wood was really looking good and calling my name. I had to pull myself out of the store :D!

Oh by the way, CONGRATS on your making the Morgan Cup! Sic em dawg :thumb:

Your post was looking great until you said it's a tee only club :D I am in the exact situation and have a large gap between the driver and 3H so when you said it's a good filler I got excited. I need something versatile though and being unable to hit a T3 off the deck would probably steer me away a little bit. Then again if I have a 3H when will I ever need to hit 3w off the fairway.

Sweet Dawg! So that leave a 3 wood out there to be shipped. Looking forward to your results. I assume no wrench was included correct?

I wish you could swing the 4 wood. It's been easy to hit (even off indoor range mats.)

Tap before talk.

I just ordered a wrench for my R11 5 Wood so i should be able to work on adjustments in about a week or so.

Your post was looking great until you said it's a tee only club :D I am in the exact situation and have a large gap between the driver and 3H so when you said it's a good filler I got excited. I need something versatile though and being unable to hit a T3 off the deck would probably steer me away a little bit. Then again if I have a 3H when will I ever need to hit 3w off the fairway.

I would not be afraid to hit this club off the deck! I have always struggled hitting a 3W off the deck and I was hitting the 14* dropped to a 13* and just hitting them pure each time! It is a phenomenal club! Long and straight as you could want!

I would not be afraid to hit this club off the deck! I have always struggled hitting a 3W off the deck and I was hitting the 14* dropped to a 13* and just hitting them pure each time! It is a phenomenal club! Long and straight as you could want!

You bring up a good point, if I do infact get a 3 wood a T3 wouldn't be that bad because I can adjust the lofts. I totally forgot about the adjustability aspect of this club. If it's stock 13 I could raise it to 14 if I wanted as well.

I'm sure I could search the threads but I figured this should go here my question is this...

I personally own an R9 supertri with the blur shaft and I have no problems with it, I have been looking at a bunch of R11s on ebay and some have the stock 60g blur shaft and I'm curious if there are any complaints about it or if I should just upgrade my supertri with a better shaft. I have a birthday coming up and I have hit the R11 and I liked it but haven't gotten to compared it to my R9.

The blur shaft is terrible, just spend $100-$200 and get an upgrade. No point in trying to hit the blur shaft, its way to inconsistent. :alien:

Spoiler
Im completley joking here, just poking fun at what happened yesterday

The blur shaft is terrible, just spend $100-$200 and get an upgrade. No point in trying to hit the blur shaft, its way to inconsistent. :alien:

Spoiler
Im completley joking here, just poking fun at what happened yesterday

haha dude i was about to do the same thing lol

No idea what happened... :banghead:

Lets keep this thread on track and try and help people that might have questions. Thanks guys.

Anyone order a r11 with a matrix Ozik HD6 shaft. I am killing mine with the Matrix Ozik HD6. I ordered but have not received my 3 wood with the HD7 shaft. It suppose to be a little heavier shaft but that what I got fitted to. Anyone here hit that shaft?

Last edited:
I played with a guy today who had a original Burner driver from a few years back and that club actually sounded the same as the R11. It was interesting.

Supertri v. R11 showdown tomorrow. Also, the 4 wood will be on the launch monitor!

Tap before talk.

Supertri v. R11 showdown tomorrow. Also, the 4 wood will be on the launch monitor!

Tap before talk.

War -- I am looking forward to your thoughts on the 4 - wood buddy:thumb:

Got my Hybrid today, updated the hybrid thread. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the 4-wood War

I am in the process of thinking about a new driver.. But, I absolutely love my R7... I mean Love... How do you divorce your old driver and decide on a new one?

Anyone order a r11 with a matrix Ozik HD6 shaft. I am killing mine with the HD6. I ordered but have not received my 3 wood with the HD7 shaft. It suppose to be a little heavier shaft but that what I got fitted to. Anyone here hit that shaft?

I had a test run with the HD6 but it doesn't fit my swing profile. Good shaft if it fits you though. I didn't get to test the Matrix shaft that works for me (Ozik 6/7) in the R11 which is a bit of a shame but we'll see about doing that later.

TheChosen:
The R11 and Super Tri aren't in the same class of driver and will likely perform a fair bit different for you. If you're Super Tri is working out, I don't see much point in getting a new shaft. If you hit the ball to high/low or have too much/not enough spin then you should be looking at a new shaft (change both a bit in either direction) or R11 (lower spin, possibly launch).

Launch wise I think I'm good. I know people on this site talk about their desired launch and such but playing over this past weekend when I hit my R9 good it was a great ball flight for me and my swing speed. Which I have also thought of going to the X-stiff which I remember being told at golf galaxy that it would decrease ball spin(which honestly I have no idea how good or bad mine is, I have never seen it in a monitor sadly but on course my distance avg. 285ish is good enough)

Decisions decisions

I am in the process of thinking about a new driver.. But, I absolutely love my R7... I mean Love... How do you divorce your old driver and decide on a new one?

You go and find yourself a good club fitter and hit them side by side and go with the one that gives you optimal numbers. I mean you could use other reasoning but this would be the best path to take.

285 is a great number.

And yes, going stiffer will decrease your spin generally (Stiff and X stiff drivers usually have a stiff tip which reduces the whipping factor into the ball and thus decreases spin).

Might be worth while to see if you can jump on a SIM to see what it estimates it at. 285 is again a great number, but if you're getting 285 with say 3500rpm of spin (unlikely) then there is more distance to be had (probably)

Yeah sadly golf galaxy is an hour away but every time I have gone concerning clubs they have been nothing but helpful I just want to get a consumer thought before being bought into anything I don't want/need(shaft wise)

Reading a bunch of posts on this site I have learned to sometimes hit to the 150 or even 100 rather than pull out the driver on every par 4. Which I won't be that lucky this summer when playing in tournaments and I need every yard or even as much accuracy as I can. Like I think I said I'm happy with my shaft now but if theres a good reason to get the R11(Which I really think I want, but I hope I'm not buying into the hype either) or even a better shaft than the blur now would be the best time to look into it.

I am very interested in hearing your comparison War, since I did that very thing at The Kingdom.
I've been gaming a SuperTri and loved it.
Now with the expert fitting and the fantastic shaft they put in it, the R-11 has taken it's rightful place in my bag.
I don't want to put too many details in here so as not to sway your opinion before your test, so I will stop here.
Have fun !

I am very interested in hearing your comparison War, since I did that very thing at The Kingdom.
I've been gaming a SuperTri and loved it.
Now with the expert fitting and the fantastic shaft they put in it, the R-11 has taken it's rightful place in my bag.
I don't want to put too many details in here so as not to sway your opinion before your test, so I will stop here.
Have fun !

Congrats again on that amazing experience, I also played the Supertri with RIP 70 Alpha before the R11. They are both very very solid drivers but for ME the R11 is the best.

Congrats again on that amazing experience, I also played the Supertri with RIP 70 Alpha before the R11. They are both very very solid drivers but for ME the R11 is the best.

What did you like about it over the SF? Besides adjustability.

Back