Journey to Break 85

Fantastic update Hawk. I see your game really coming into form broski and I dig the embrace the swing mentality. Isn't it funny how we supposed choke the bajeezus out of our clubs?

Walked 11 holes after work tonight and had some mixed results. Surprisingly, my long game was my real strength today? I seriously was creaming my driver and the fairway wood. I'm hitting the ball higher and straighter off the tee than ever and I'm seriously confused lol. The fairway is becoming a real confidence club for me off the tee. I had three shots off the same tee all end up (directionally) within 10 yards of each other, with one I just blasted about 10 yards farther than the others. My miss with the driver continues to be the VERY high fade, but it's surprisingly manageable. Definitely shorter, but not too far off the fairway. I'm playing a very pretty looking mini-fade when I swing well. The ball doesn't go as far as a draw swing, but I really don't care. I poked a couple out to the 230 mark into the wind today and that just made my day. I'm not fighting my swing any more. I hit a fade and that's just the way it's going to be. It's predictable and it works, so no more time wasted trying to change.

Irons were so-so. Had some chunky action going on and it took awhile to shake it. I stepped back and asked myself WTF and then did a quick analysis of my setup. First thing I noticed, that I hadn't noticed before was my VULCAN DEATH GRIP on the clubs. Loosened it up and swung free. Wouldn't you know, back to normal. Hit some really nice long irons. Put a 5 iron out there 170 yards, which is nice to see since I'm still convincing myself that I can live without my 5 hybrid.

Wedges were about 50%. I hit some great shots with them and then hit some duds as well. Short chips and pitches were solid and it's funny how much I expect out of them now. I get PO'd if I'm offline even 5 feet. Also, tried working on flighting the ball with wedges and it worked pretty well! Something I'm definitely going to work on more this year. It's a good shot to have. I found that moving the ball back a hair, wedging up, choking up, and swing easier seemed to work. It's def a work in progress.

Fantastic update Hawk. I see your game really coming into form broski and I dig the embrace the swing mentality. Isn't it funny how we supposed choke the bajeezus out of our clubs?

I don't know what the heck I was doing, but I just noticed that I was strangling those poor PCI's.

You went Wayne Brady on them. Maybe an effort to hit a controlled swing lead to the choking?

I don't know what the heck I was doing, but I just noticed that I was strangling those poor PCI's.

You went Wayne Brady on them. Maybe an effort to hit a controlled swing lead to the choking?

That's exactly what happened. I'm trying to keep my arms/shoulders as one unit and that feeling sort of meandered down to my hands I think.

I feel ya buddy. Never fun when it happens! Usually takes me a few holes to realize it lol. So you were putting some mustard on the shots huh? I think this may be for the Speed Stik thread but I'm wondering how it's working...

That's exactly what happened. I'm trying to keep my arms/shoulders as one unit and that feeling sort of meandered down to my hands I think.

Lol. Remember, my mustard is more like a packet instead of a bottle, but yes I think I'm getting more out of my swings than in the past.

I wil update the Speed Stik thread tomorrow. It's almost bed time

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Sweet man. I'm looking forward to it. Packet lol, that did make me laugh out loud for reals. I love Hawk THP posting time.

Lol. Remember, my mustard is more like a packet instead of a bottle, but yes I think I'm getting more out of my swings than in the past.

I wil update the Speed Stik thread tomorrow. It's almost bed time

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

I had a kick @ss range session yesterday. Pretty much loving how I'm hitting the ball. Mind you I'm not Biggsy length or TC GIR's but I've got a good thing going right now. The spinners and JAWS are absolutely lethal. It feels like a whole new wedge. Really focusing on ball striking and 75 yards and in.

Purchased some Diablo HX Tour balls to get ready. I'm pretty sure these are gonna be a good ball from Callaway for me. I love the Tour i series but not sure my game is ready for those.

I've also switched up my irons. I just wanted to see if the Ci7's would interact with the turf a little better. I have no idea if thats what JB and One T were doing lol but I tried my own variation. Much preferred the Ci7's with the grass I was playing on. I'm not sure it really matters because I'll be switching in due time!

Trying not to reveal too much. Ill have a video later though. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

I had a kick @ss range session yesterday. Pretty much loving how I'm hitting the ball. Mind you I'm not Biggsy length or TC GIR's but I've got a good thing going right now. The spinners and JAWS are absolutely lethal. It feels like a whole new wedge. Really focusing on ball striking and 75 yards and in.

Purchased some Diablo HX Tour balls to get ready. I'm pretty sure these are gonna be a good ball from Callaway for me. I love the Tour i series but not sure my game is ready for those.

I've also switched up my irons. I just wanted to see if the Ci7's would interact with the turf a little better. I have no idea if thats what JB and One T were doing lol but I tried my own variation. Much preferred the Ci7's with the grass I was playing on. I'm not sure it really matters because I'll be switching in due time!

Trying not to reveal too much. Ill have a video later though. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

keep it up buddy!!! OEM Kevin is still trying to break 85 on 9 holes.

Short game. That's the big thing on my mind right now. I had one last practice round today and took the chance to hit as many short game shots as I could. I actually holed out from like 35 yards with a 60°, but it doesn't count since the cup is bigger on temp greens. Still, I was spot on much of the day from 50 yards and in. I think that I'm destined to be a scrambler for a couple more years, so I'm embracing it completely. I think that the team in FL with the best group of short game players is going to take the Morgan Cup.

You have a good short game as it is Hawk and all this practice is money. I'm rooting for you guy!

Short game. That's the big thing on my mind right now. I had one last practice round today and took the chance to hit as many short game shots as I could. I actually holed out from like 35 yards with a 60°, but it doesn't count since the cup is bigger on temp greens. Still, I was spot on much of the day from 50 yards and in. I think that I'm destined to be a scrambler for a couple more years, so I'm embracing it completely. I think that the team in FL with the best group of short game players is going to take the Morgan Cup.

Just for Yoccos

4bcd0363-47a1-92c7.jpg

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

This stuff is like drinking sugar soaked in alcohol!

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Only got to play 9 holes today. Conditions were pretty bad. 40's and rainy with 10-20mph winds. When we got to the 10th tee we were feeling a bit sketchy b/c of some lightning in the distance, but decided to give it a shot. Then on DonW's approach shot, there was a giant lightning bolt in the middle of his back swing and we got freaked out an grabbed a rain check. Bad news was I was starting to get warmed up.

We played Palmer Hills, which looks like it will be my home course this year, from the whites (6,300, 70.6, 123). It's right on the upper edge of my preference for distance, but it's a pretty fun course to play. Lots of elevation changes and there is a decent amount of challenge in the way of sand and water.

I ended up with a 50. Not as good as I was hoping, but I'm not bummed. It was downright rotten out there. I was more bummed that we couldn't finish since I was starting to get things going. I lost two balls in the water.

Long game = not good today. I didn't really find the fairway often, though I wasn't way off. It happens, but it was a little frustrating.

Irons = pretty good! I was hitting the ball well, but I wasn't super accurate with the longer irons. I wasn't way off, but always just enough to find a greenside bunker. I was in the sand three times I think. All after long iron/hybrid shots. Short irons were good and I was hitting them well. Didn't have many shots with them, sadly lol.

Short game = good! Not great, but good. I almost holed out from just off the green for a birdie, but instead had a tap in par. Put a few others in what should have been one-putt range. Sand game was pretty decent, but I did have one that I needed a second try. The sand was sort of like grainy mud b/c of the rain.

Putting = okay. 17 putts. No three-jacks, but I didn't hit the few in that magic 6-12 foot range that I needed.

So, long story short: We're crazy for even going, my short game gave me a 50 today, and if I can get the other stuff sorted out a bit, I should see better results pretty easily. In all, not bad for the first time out on a real course.

Forgot to mention that you would have swore my name was Puttin4Bird today. I was rocking two gloves hehe.

Hehehehe. I was wondering if you'd see that ;)

Hawk rockin the short game! Nice work bro.

Thanks bud.

This game is so weird sometimes. I have one good round with the driver/fairway and then the next time out I struggle with both. I just don't get it, but I didn't let it get me down. That's what I brought to the course, so I had to learn how to play around it. I think my best score last year on this course was over 100, so an opening day 50 didn't bother me. It wasn't what I was hoping for, but no big deal.

Putting is weird when you actually do it on a real green and not a putting mat. The lack of flatness is downright shocking! I wish I'd taken a few minutes on the practice green before we played to get used to grass again. Definitely going to do that next time.

Sure is man. Over half my time the last two range sessions was spent on 4-10 footers. I'm trying to follow JB's advice with that lol. Plus seeing you get your scores down with the short game is really pretty inspiring dude. I know everything else has improved but it seems like the short game is a common good spot for you.

Thanks bud.

This game is so weird sometimes. I have one good round with the driver/fairway and then the next time out I struggle with both. I just don't get it, but I didn't let it get me down. That's what I brought to the course, so I had to learn how to play around it. I think my best score last year on this course was over 100, so an opening day 50 didn't bother me. It wasn't what I was hoping for, but no big deal.

Putting is weird when you actually do it on a real green and not a putting mat. The lack of flatness is downright shocking! I wish I'd taken a few minutes on the practice green before we played to get used to grass again. Definitely going to do that next time.

So, what is your number one goal in terms of training for the Morgan Cup? More fairways, better putting, etc.

That's a tough one man. I'm looking hard at accuracy and then converting the up and downs along with the birdie putts. I'm finding I'm getting into better positions to make the saves/birdies but I'm not converting. Another big thing is course management. I hit a lot of great shots the other day but just didnt club enough. TC made a point in another thread about clubbing up and I'm going to try that.

So, what is your number one goal in terms of training for the Morgan Cup? More fairways, better putting, etc.

I'm trying my butt off to learn to club up too. I think it's an ego thing. We think that we should be hitting a club that in fact we shouldn't be. I'd feel way more macho hitting more greens though.

I think the up & downs and scoring when you have the opportunity are going to be key to playing well down there. Putt like you've never putted before dude.

I'm gonna give it 113% dude. It really is an ego thing. I love the fact I've been losing weight but it's reaked havok on my distances lol. I never realized how much I relied on my thickness. Totally an ego thing because my short game and swing tempo has improved a bunch.

I also learned, that I can't go out the night before and still have a full arsenol of shots the next day. Just not gonna happen.

I feel like as much as we are practicing bro, it's gonna click at some point. And some point soon.

I'm trying my butt off to learn to club up too. I think it's an ego thing. We think that we should be hitting a club that in fact we shouldn't be. I'd feel way more macho hitting more greens though.

I think the up & downs and scoring when you have the opportunity are going to be key to playing well down there. Putt like you've never putted before dude.

Back