Your a home course, could Phil , Tiger, etc... shoot a 59?

All4's

Need. More. Eagles.
Reaction score
Handicap
Was just thinking, about something while watching the LPGA and how low these ladies go on tracks about the same length, or longer than what we (my typical foursomes) play. Then I thought about what a top PGA player like Tiger or Phil could do...

So, if you had a chance to win a million bucks, and had to pick 1 current PGA Tour golfer to shoot a 59 on your home track to win it, who would it be?

Why did you choose that golfer?

What does your course set up like for the player you picked that made you choose him.

I pick Phil Mickelson.

I consider the Griffin Gate GC my home course. It is a little shorter than average, twisty in spots, but has lots of fun risk reward holes that a good short game can score on. You aren't driving but 1 Par 4 that I think of from the tips, but with his length it is wedge city and very nice greens out at our course for a hot putter.

Next question, if it was for a million dollars would you rather caddy for him since it is your home course and you know it, or would you rather trust his caddy and stick stick with him?

I'd let his caddy stay with him.

This is a great thread idea. I think I'd choose Luke Donald as my home course isn't that long so he could use three wood a lot to keep it in the fairway. Then his short game would tear it up.

Would you carry his bag or trust his caddy to read your home course greens and navigate him around better than you?

Would you carry his bag or trust his caddy to read your home course greens and navigate him around better than you?
I would carry it just for like greens and stuff. Even though the greens are straightforward enough after one hole he could probably have the speed down, and I bet a pro could read it better than us.

I would want to play, I would want Adam Scott and I would want Bayhill. Short, precise, not his standard tract, but he could dominate there, jmho.

I would guess 57 - 58 -59 would def. be possible. Just based on how tough their courses are. Mine isn't super easy, probably an average track. But that's how good I think they are.

Bubba Watson because he could drive all the par 4s and be on the par 5s in two! I'd be the caddy because I know about every yardage there is there too!

Go Bubba!!

I played a monday qualifier for the Canadian Tour in Sarnia at Huron Oaks Bayer Championship. Not my home course but it is 20 min from my house. I was playing some of my best golf at the time, 3 under after 15 holes, only to triple the 18th after I started "thinking" about a thursday tee-time. My point is, Jason Bohn won that year with a final round 58!!! With a couple short ones missed coming down the stretch, he could have easily been 57. It doesn't matter who the tour player is, these guys are GOOD, and could dominate most of our "home tracks".

I played a monday qualifier for the Canadian Tour in Sarnia at Huron Oaks Bayer Championship. Not my home course but it is 20 min from my house. I was playing some of my best golf at the time, 3 under after 15 holes, only to triple the 18th after I started "thinking" about a thursday tee-time. My point is, Jason Bohn won that year with a final round 58!!! With a couple short ones missed coming down the stretch, he could have easily been 57. It doesn't matter who the tour player is, these guys are GOOD, and could dominate most of our "home tracks".

No doubt. But I'm not lettin' you off the hook. One guy, one round, your home track, for $1 mil. Who ya got? Jason Bohn? I would be tempted to go with a hometown guy that has played the course a bunch.

And I second the BUBBA call!!!

No doubt. But I'm not lettin' you off the hook. One guy, one round, your home track, for $1 mil. Who ya got? Jason Bohn? I would be tempted to go with a hometown guy that has played the course a bunch.

Alright, I got DJ....long enough to pound the par 5's and "kick" approaches onto the green on par 4's. He's my pick.

I think I'd have Fred Couples play Falcon Lakes for my million.

the nine hole muni i had a membership at last year, i'm certain a nationwide tour player could shoot in the 40's on 18. seriously.

I've seen some tour pros play BCC and none of them came close to 59s. 59 is really hard no matter the course. If you put them on 5500 yard track or something maybe, but breaking 60 is really hard. You can check the course records at places these guys play and they're not going out shooting in the 50s most of the time. I'll say it one more time shooting in the 50s is really hard even for tour pros on easier tracks. If I had to pick someone it would be someone really streaky who can catch fire. I know Gainey has some course records around where he lives in the 50s.

I gotta go with Tiger. My course has a lot of dogleg lefts, but he could hook a 2 iron around them. From there, let his irons take over, and hope his putter is hot.

yeah there is no way because for one... the course wouldnt be up to their standards... the greens would be brutally slow and too many ballmarks
the fw's are not cush carpets that theyre used to taking big divots on
my course is relatively easy compared to a bunch of local courses but its has decent length so the pros would have a field day off of the teeboxes
its the greens that would equalize the scoring
im sure they would go low but not 59 low unless they were to prep the course 3mos prior to play
if anyone were to do it id have to give rory a shot and id be his caddy telling him not to over read the breaks cuz it wont happen only on 2 greens

I gotta go with Tiger. My course has a lot of dogleg lefts, but he could hook a 2 iron around them. From there, let his irons take over, and hope his putter is hot.

I don't know if I'd bet my million on Tiger on a putt putt course at this point.

the Lakes my course plays host to the regional us open qualifying a day after muirfield. So after muirfield alot of the pros go there to qualify. Last year we walked in a group behind rickie fowler. They shot 65-68 at the top of the leaderboard. So i dont know if if any could get into the 50's. I just joined this year so i am not sure what the record is there - but its a pretty tough course.

Yes. They would tear the par 5 to pieces, make the par 4s look like par 3s.

I would love to see a real "pro" out there

Yes, they would especially in this mile-high altitude.

Whoever is the best in the world with his wedges and putter could shoot a 54 on my course. I've shot 63 on it, and I have some ways to go before I'm at their level, so...

I think if the putter is working well, either DJ, or BW could go super low at my course. With their length, All but one par four would be reachable. One par 5 would be an easy eagle opportunity, and the other a definite bird. The key, as it always is is the putter. The greens at my course are better than they have ever been, but they are well below the standards of a pro. Bumpy, and sssssssssslllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

And I would let their caddy do their job as long as I could walk alongside them!

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2010/08/singin-the-blues-of-my-buddies.html#comments

I would pick a short but straight hitter like Jim Furyk. My course is very tight and the Redwood trees that line the fairways eat balls like venus fly traps eat flies. Guys like Tiger and Phil who survive on their ability to scramble wouldn't get the chance because their miss hits would be stroke and distance. After a good wind blows you can go out and gather up a dozen or so Pro V's per hole that fell out of the branches if the trees. Would be fun to watch though.

yeah there is no way because for one... the course wouldnt be up to their standards... the greens would be brutally slow and too many ballmarks
the fw's are not cush carpets that theyre used to taking big divots on
my course is relatively easy compared to a bunch of local courses but its has decent length so the pros would have a field day off of the teeboxes
its the greens that would equalize the scoring
im sure they would go low but not 59 low unless they were to prep the course 3mos prior to play
if anyone were to do it id have to give rory a shot and id be his caddy telling him not to over read the breaks cuz it wont happen only on 2 greens

Your course sounds exactly like my local course.

Your course sounds exactly like my local course.

lots of va courses are like that until you get into the mountains... then it gets really brutal target golf style

Back