Review Callaway Epic Forged Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We take a detailed look at the Callaway Epic Forged Irons, specifically the long irons and examine the tech, along with the data to find out how well they work.

Now that is a sexy looking iron and I don't mind a little junk in the trunk. Crazy to hear and see the data with gaining an additional club length on yardage. Oh but the cost for a set could definitely set some folks back. I could definitely see myself giving these a go.

Great write up!

Excellent write up @Jman! I like seeing the companies drop the barriers and let the R&D guys go wild occasionally. If I’m fully honest I expected a bit more tech in these at that price point, but it seems these are pretty fantastic irons overall. I definitely like the looks, and I could see the long irons fitting in as a utility club for a lot of players. The price point is too much for me, but these really aren’t targeted to my demographic.

Looking forward to Jman trying these with an optimal shaft.

Excellent write up @Jman! I like seeing the companies drop the barriers and let the R&D guys go wild occasionally. If I’m fully honest I expected a bit more tech in these at that price point, but it seems these are pretty fantastic irons overall. I definitely like the looks, and I could see the long irons fitting in as a utility club for a lot of players. The price point is too much for me, but these really aren’t targeted to my demographic.
To be fair, the tech that is in them hasn’t ever been done before in many cases. Plus, I had to sort of hit the big ones or this one would have turned into a 2,000 word wonder and people just don’t want that anymore haha

Looking forward to Jman trying these with an optimal shaft.
Reshafting this rainy weekend! I’m excited too, 5i could end up a legit 4H replacement.

Reshafting this rainy weekend! I’m excited too, 5i could end up a legit 4H replacement.

Curious if you are going with a shaft that works for you in other irons or if you are going to try a shaft that will optimize these irons for your game. I wonder if a shaft that normally spins too much for you would be just right for these heads.

Can't wait to get an opportunity to hit these. Great write-up!

Love the information and that Callaway is experimenting with moving that tungsten weight around. New ways to move the weight has been all the rage in the industry over the past few years. The numbers concern me a bit though. There really isn't much difference between the 5 and 6 (one 6i went your 5i length, the launch is the same, the descent angle was better on the 5i) but i like where the spin is.

I think you nailed it - these could be killer utility clubs for most (I know I couldn't spend that much on a full set).

Another great write up from @Jman !!!!! These interest me as I would like to pick up some distance in my irons. Definitely on the list to hit in December. I have seen them in person and they are a great looking iron.

Love the information and that Callaway is experimenting with moving that tungsten weight around. New ways to move the weight has been all the rage in the industry over the past few years. The numbers concern me a bit though. There really isn't much difference between the 5 and 6 (one 6i went your 5i length, the launch is the same, the descent angle was better on the 5i) but i like where the spin is.

I think you nailed it - these could be killer utility clubs for most (I know I couldn't spend that much on a full set).
Keep in mind, all this was with super weak (for me) R-flex 70g iron shafts. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of my wheelhouse.

I'd bet a large sum with shafts that are a better fit, the numbers will slot perfectly from eachother.

Are you planning on reshafting any of these to your usual specs and trying them out? Very curious what differences you would see with your usual spec

now I get the shaft work. Seeing what a new shaft can do will be very interesting!

Are you planning on reshafting any of these to your usual specs and trying them out? Very curious what differences you would see with your usual spec

Skim alert!! just busting your chops Bryndom.

Yep, I'm waiting on new toys in the iron spot, but in the meantime I'm going to reshaft the 5/6 with the same Elevate Tour X100 that are in my current gamers (Apex 19 Combos) and get a better head to head with those. Will also SW them, put them at the same length, and adjust them 2* upright (which in and of itself will help me with these)

Outstanding write up James! I’ve tried the FC90s and they work well for me. Now I just have to get the money to afford them!

Outstanding write up James! I’ve tried the FC90s and they work well for me. Now I just have to get the money to afford them!
I would love to try the 90's, I'm curious about them.

The 70's though, not for me. Hahahahaha

Reactions: RNG
Great review @Jman. I got to try these out and they are awesome to hit even for a rookie like myself.

I would love to try the 90's, I'm curious about them.

The 70's though, not for me. Hahahahaha

I think the Catalyst 100s are a pretty good fit for these if somebody wants graphite. I have a very hard time maintaining consistency with a shaft under 95 grams for irons.

I think the Catalyst 100s are a pretty good fit for these if somebody wants graphite. I have a very hard time maintaining consistency with a shaft under 95 grams for irons.

Thats pretty typically my cutoff as well. Hoping maybe by some chance out in Cali I get to hit the Catalyst.

Also, this one from the review is one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken, ANY review, and I have taken a LOT of them.

1-6.jpg

They are truly beautiful irons.... Callaway did a fantastic job with the aesthetics on these

I'm here for the results of this experiment. ;) Still pondering that experiment myself.

Great review, James!

I just had some fun with the 6 iron on trackman. I asked him to put it to Colorado but he refused at kept me at sea level hahaha!! Either way though, these things HAMMER the ball!!

5381c6ecdbab24169660df94b07a3495.png

Back