LPGA: RR Donnelley LPGA Founders Cup [Spoilers]

Beowulf

Villa Crawl Contestant
Reaction score
Handicap
Gravity
I had to start this thread because it contains two of my most favorite things in this world; women and golf!
The LPGA has suffered a tremendous amount over the last few years, turmoil in the management, favorite players retiring long before their time, whiny stars that expect too much, sponsors leaving and a host of other maladies that seemingly keep coming. This week the Inaugural founders cup will be played with a total purse of a $1 million. The interesting thing, every penny of this purse will be given to charity instead of the golfers. Yes, their winnings will reflect this money, they just won't actually receive it. Some have called this a great marketing ploy, while others have said it is just one more stake in the heart of a dying organization. What are your thoughts? Will you watch any of it?

I will but because we have some friends in it and I love LPGA golf.

Its good and its bad all at the same time. With only so many spots guaranteed to girls each year, its important for the points and money list for a lot of the "not top 25", so they really have to play. It also is a great chance for someone from the outside qualifying and getting in and getting their card back.

We spoke with a few of the girls about it last week and they had pretty much the same thing to say. Its important to leave the game better than it was when you arrived. Something that has not been done and if it takes one weekend to do so, its worth a shot at doing just that.

Well this in my backyard and since I work through the weekend I will only be able to watch it on TV. Was hopping that they would sell tickets for practice rounds on Monday or Tuesday ( Days off ) but they only had Wednesdays practice round. Think this will be a great event and showcase Arizona in the winter and maybe even be able to get
a LPGA stop on the schedule next year.

I will but because we have some friends in it and I love LPGA golf.

Its good and its bad all at the same time. With only so many spots guaranteed to girls each year, its important for the points and money list for a lot of the "not top 25", so they really have to play. It also is a great chance for someone from the outside qualifying and getting in and getting their card back.

We spoke with a few of the girls about it last week and they had pretty much the same thing to say. Its important to leave the game better than it was when you arrived. Something that has not been done and if it takes one weekend to do so, its worth a shot at doing just that.

The only thing that would bother me is if the LPGA is sending the money to the charity of their choice versus where I may want it to go if I were the winner. Sounds like most of the ladies are on board now with the idea. The worse thing may be the timing with it being so early in the season. Some of these ladies have not earned a check in sometime.

Have missed watching the ladies so I'll definately tune in. The more TV the LPGA can get, the better off they are. I hope they can start to see some growth in the next 12 months or watching the ladies play may not be an option.

RR Donnelly Founders Cup

RR Donnelly Founders Cup

I just want there to a thread for the ladies.

Some of these gals are wearing really short skirts. See Sandra Gal.

I notice a lot of the ladies take a wider stance than the men. I wonder why they do that? I know my daughter's swing coach is always after her to narrow her stance a bit, but I think that leads to her legs being too active, and she will turn her hips out too soon leading to over the top pulls or big pushes. I think the wide stance some take costs them a lot of distance. I notice the shorter hitters like Creamer, Pressel, Ricari, etc. are often the girls with wide stances, though Kerr has a wide stance, as well as an upright swing, yet she hits it a long way. I bet they do it to quiet their hips and legs.

I wish I could get my daughter to watch the LPGA a little more closely. Not for the short skirts, but for how they swing.

Kevin

And there was one Esox...hehe I merged them.

And there was one Esox...hehe I merged them.

Oops. I'm having a bad day. You should have seen me try and send some emails earlier. Thank God I had my wife press the button Tuesday.

So why do they have such wide stances? And Sandra Gal's skirt strikes me as too short. Pretty nice legs though.

Kevin

Oops. I'm having a bad day. You should have seen me try and send some emails earlier. Thank God I had my wife press the button Tuesday.

So why do they have such wide stances? And Sandra Gal's skirt strikes me as too short. Pretty nice legs though.

Kevin

I cant answer the first one as I have not talked to them about it, but I am playing with a couple of them in a few weeks and will ask.

I cant answer the first one as I have not talked to them about it, but I am playing with a couple of them in a few weeks and will ask.

Just to be clear, about the stance, not the skirts.

Kevin

Watching the ladies play now, glad to see them on TV again. Bonus to get to watch them again next week.

Does Karrie Webb and JJ Henry have the same mom or dad? They both have the same identical chin, or lack thereof.

I've never met a golf pro, let alone played a round of golf with one. That must be terrific to see them hit balls up close and personal, get tips, etc.

I've never met a golf pro, let alone played a round of golf with one. That must be terrific to see them hit balls up close and personal, get tips, etc.

About 5 years ago, my best friend from college got married, I was his best man, and he got married in the wine region of Australia, The Hunter Valley. We stayed on a vinyard for about 5 days prior to his wedding and played golf everyday. The highlight was playing this course, The Vintage (http://www.thevintage.com.au/) and one of his mates, who was also in the wedding party, played golf professionally. His name is Craig Spence. He played on the PGA Tour in 2000 I believe but didn't keep his card. It was phenomenal watching this guy play golf. It was a true treat to watch him execute shot after shot. I think he shot 4 or 5 under on the day, and we were all hacking around the high 90's or the low 100's, lol. He loved playing with us though, he said it was much more relaxing and just a good time.

Anyway, sorry to threadjack.

I remember Craig Spence TC, being the golf junkie that I am. It must have been an awesome experience! Great golf course by the way...I checked out the website. :)

I remember Craig Spence TC, being the golf junkie that I am. It must have been an awesome experience! Great golf course by the way...I checked out the website. :)

It was fairly new at the time, so when we played it, it was in flawless condition. It was a real neat layout. Yeah, Craig's a really nice guy. I've hung out with him tons and it was always fun to listen to his tales of adventure. He wasn't all that long of the tee but he seemed to be able to put the ball exactly where he wanted to. And I'll say this, golfers at the professional level can flat out putt.

It comes with the job I guess. I dont do the tip thing though unless we are filming tips.

As for playing, it can be great fun, but to me its just like playing with anybody really good. I still try and win and still go out to have some fun. A THPer is coming in the area, and we are going to have a little match with them. Should be interesting. Once its finalized, I will have a thread on it, I am sure.

It comes with the job I guess. I dont do the tip thing though unless we are filming tips.

As for playing, it can be great fun, but to me its just like playing with anybody really good. I still try and win and still go out to have some fun. A THPer is coming in the area, and we are going to have a little match with them. Should be interesting. Once its finalized, I will have a thread on it, I am sure.
I'll look forward to reading about it. I'm sure it elevates everyone's game...and I suppose you can learn just from watching the individual play.

Bam Bam chips in to take a 1 stroke lead.

Bam Bam chips in to take a 1 stroke lead.

Looks like Angela Stanford is pulling a Westwood here in the last round.

Kevin

Looks like Angela Stanford is pulling a Westwood here in the last round.

Kevin

She seems to be. Especially with the putter. Paula is playing well as is Webb right now though. Could get interesting.

The scene of Bam Bam's last win.

Spoiler
1171546535_ZZbsT-L.jpg

Back