Travel Thread: The 2019 Graphite Challenge with UST Mamiya

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
OK, let's get started. Very excited to be traveling to Florida for the Graphite Challenge with UST Mayima and to meet my fellow Hackers, Danny, and Tyler. Here is a place for us to coordinate travel if needed.

I am pondering flying down Thursday evening and playing a round somewhere on Friday. I suppose we probably don't need to bring our irons, however, so in that case I may pass in favor of going straight to the event.

Good deal. So, I live I'm Middle Ga. By the time I drive to the airport, check in, travel, check out, rental, drive down...I may as well have driven the 6 and a half 7 hours it will take to get there...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank goodness for Skymiles. PBI is the best airport for me coming from Memphis.

PBI is looking promising for me. Working on hotel ideas for Thursday night, and input as to what potential must play course options for Friday AM in the area? (Aside from PGA National that we will be playing during the event.) I am not dead set on playing golf Friday but tinkering with the possibilities.

I’ll unfortunately be flying in Friday morning, with the airport most likely being PBI. Can’t wait for the months to fly by.

GraniteRoost;n8887879 said:
PBI is looking promising for me. Working on hotel ideas for Thursday night, and input as to what potential must play course options for Friday AM in the area? (Aside from PGA National that we will be playing during the event.) I am not dead set on playing golf Friday but tinkering with the possibilities.
PBI is looking good to me to, I plan on flying in Thursday afternoon as well so will need a hotel to and would play a round on Friday.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone. Obviously, I’m new to the party. I live about an hour and a half south of the event, so I’ll be driving up. That said, and work permitting, I’ll probably head up a day or so early, so I’m sure with a bit of coordination I can help get everyone to/from the airport. PBI will certainly be the closest, but also take a look at FLL as an alternative.

As for a Friday round, I’m in and can help work on some course and lodging options. Looking forward to a great weekend!

Alright, if there is a Friday morning round, I’m in and can work out logistics of bringing my irons and getting them back home.

​​​​​​​

Okay, THP, what are your suggestions for possible Friday morning golf in the Palm Beach area?

I took a look at the spreadsheet and so far we have djt311 and Parrot and myself in for a Friday round. Gaholfer and mmaynard11 are going to be traveling Friday morning so would likely not make an early round, but could be in early afternoon for a meet up. GraniteRoost was checking some flights last update, but could be our 4th.

I live in Miami, so I do not play in WPB basically at all. That said, I was taking a look around at some options and depending on how far we want to travel, I will throw out the following three options, subject to change pending further research?

PGA Golf Club in Jupiter (approximately 50 minutes away)

Deer Creek Golf Club in Deerfield Beach (approximately 30 minutes away, nice course I have played)

Abacoa Golf Course in Jupiter (approximately 20 minutes, looks OK but never played).

I will look at some other options in Boca Raton and WPB. most of the courses I have played are still an hour south of WPB and I am concerned about getting back to the resort by Friday's dinner unless we play early, and there is no real reason to play super early.

I won’t be arriving until 12:30pm on Friday so probably won’t be able to make the round. Definitely will be up for meeting up prior to the get together Friday evening.

Finally booked my return flight and I’ll be leaving out of West Palm at 4:50pm.

Just two months away!!!

I had scrounged around a few of the “best of” lists of public or semi-public courses in the Palm Beach area and saw the PGA Club and Abacoa. Others I saw listed were Osprey Point, North Palm Beach CC, Lost Lake, Okeeheelee and Madison Green. Green fees are reasonable.

I’m sure there are a bunch more good courses near Palm Beach. I know you’ll steer us right.

The Breakers would be great but I’m not willing to stay at the resort or pay $250ish to play the Ocean course.

I booked flights arriving late Thursday make that ~1am Friday and will probably aim for the Doubletree at PBI, but I have not booked yet. I don't think I'll fly irons down, but I'll play a round Friday with woods and wedges or whatever folks want to do. I'm departing 3:25 Sunday from PBI.

I had noticed Osprey Point and Okeheelee in my research, and those are good suggestions BigDill. Looking up those courses now. I am the kind of golfer that will be happy wherever we play.

GraniteRoost;n8906984 said:
I booked flights arriving late Thursday make that ~1am Friday and will probably aim for the Doubletree at PBI, but I have not booked yet. I don't think I'll fly irons down, but I'll play a round Friday with woods and wedges or whatever folks want to do. I'm departing 3:25 Sunday from PBI.

I had noticed Osprey Point and Okeheelee in my research, and those are good suggestions BigDill. Looking up those courses now. I am the kind of golfer that will be happy wherever we play.

3:25 Sunday is going to be cutting it pretty close, so you might have to scoot the minute the round ends or even skip a hole or two if you want time to shower and everything, but we will work to get people out as quickly as possible.

JB;n8906990 said:
3:25 Sunday is going to be cutting it pretty close, so you might have to scoot the minute the round ends or even skip a hole or two if you want time to shower and everything, but we will work to get people out as quickly as possible.

Thanks, I will see what I can do.

GraniteRoost;n8906999 said:
Thanks, I will see what I can do.

Simple. Private jet.

Warm up the plane... we're THP'ing :alien:

I don't think I'll fly irons down, but I'll play a round Friday with woods and wedges or whatever folks want to do.

That sounds cool. I noticed the guys in the Ultimate Weekend thread talking about doing that. I'm good either way.

If there are any other THPers in the area who would like to join up for a round or just a get together pre-event, that would be cool too.

Anyone have any new thoughts on the Friday round? As we get closer, i would like to try to button that up. I am happy to take the lead on that.

I am down to play anywhere just count me in

I am happy to take the lead on that.

Rock on. But for a tee time, we'll need enough time to get to the resort, get checked-in and get cleaned up for Friday evening's festivities. We could save some time playing one of the other resort courses. That's just a thought not my advocating for either of those courses.

Depending on time I would be up for nine holes due to my noon arrival should time permit.

I'm still in for Friday. I agree lets get some reservations going :D

I meant to put some effort into looking at golf course reservation last night, so that I could contribute to the conversation. I got a little distracted and forgot... hopefully tonight! There look to be so many decent options it seems hard to go wrong.

There look to be so many decent options it seems hard to go wrong.

There really are a lot of courses to choose. Anyone have any contacts to get us on Seminole? ?

Back