Own_Ostrich

Reaction score
I won't be much help on advice for golf around here for a good while I would imagine. However, I have gotten into building computers recently if anybody needs any advice. Not an expert by any means but I have put a good amount of time in over the last year tinkering with my own builds and have built probably a half dozen for other people.

Reactions: JB
I won't be much help on advice for golf around here for a good while I would imagine. However, I have gotten into building computers recently if anybody needs any advice. Not an expert by any means but I have put a good amount of time in over the last year tinkering with my own builds and have built probably a half dozen for other people.

Have down pretty much the same over the last 15 years or so. Just finished building myself a new computer with a AMD 3900X and a Gigabyte x570 Ultra mobo.

I built mine a year or two ago. Shocked me how easy it was.

Know what you mean. I always get a big rush when I start the computer up for the first time and it actually works. :drinks:

Know what you mean. I always get a big rush when I start the computer up for the first time and it actually works. :drinks:
It blew my mind.

I fully expected to destroy 1k plus worth of components when I hit power hahahaha

It blew my mind.

I fully expected to destroy 1k plus worth of components when I hit power hahahaha

LOL.....The thought does cross my mind also. :rolleyes:

I’m a vet, been building since a buddy showed me how in 97. I’m at the point of just upgraded my main guts for the first time in about 4+ years, which is forever for me, tho I keep a fairly current gpu on board at all times for a few games.

Way back in the day I had a custom Voodoo PC that I was pretty darn proud of.
Wonder if they're still around.

I did water cooled custom cut painted and lit towers in competition for a couple years. Too spendy without sponsors. Around the same time but unfortunately not dead concurrently, did parts reviews for a couple different sites.

I built mine a year or two ago. Shocked me how easy it was.

I have built every PC I have ever owned and it couldn't be easier really - everything can only really plug into one place so you have to be a complete idiot to plug something in the wrong place, the hardest piece is probably making sure you get the CPU seated properly with the cooler

I am pretty much out of touch with the current generation of components but I have been toying with the idea of building a mini-pc for some retro gaming

Haven't completely built one in awhile as my 10 year old beast Dell XPS 9000 tower is still plenty powerful for any of my computing needs at the moment. Most processing it does is for media transcoding for my Plex server and it barely breaks a sweat with that. But I do replace the innards when needed.

Recently replaced the power supply when it crapped the bed. I guess being on 100% of the time for a few years does that. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
All the PCs in my house were built by me but I haven't built one for a couple years. I remember contemplating building my own laptop 10+ years ago.

I think I built my first computer in 1996 from an AmD 5x86 processor, and when I've wanted to build a gaming rig have built my own ever since. It's gotten easier, especially now that we're deep in the era of plug & pray, and I enjoy it. I think my next desktop I'll build with my son. I learned it from my dad, so it's a fun thing to pass along and demystify how a computer works.

I'm due for new build around Christmas time. Going MicroATX this time. Already have my case and my coworker was nice enough to give me his 980GTX video card. I gave him a penny stock tip so that was my commission. And half a pizza. I work in IT so most of my coworkers constantly upgrade their PC's and deals abound on parts. Probably going with an Ryzen 2600X at this point.

I'm due for new build around Christmas time. Going MicroATX this time. Already have my case and my coworker was nice enough to give me his 980GTX video card. I gave him a penny stock tip so that was my commission. And half a pizza. I work in IT so most of my coworkers constantly upgrade their PC's and deals abound on parts. Probably going with an Ryzen 2600X at this point.

PM headed your way.

I have a nephew that is wanting a cheaper gaming pc so I am looking at old Dell workstations that will allow me to put a decent graphics card in. That way when he can upgrade when he has the budget to go whole hog.

I've been dragging my feet on actually putting an HDD in my build. Have a 256gb in right now and don't REALLY need more than that.

Just waiting on a crazy deal for one of the good ones.

I've been dragging my feet on actually putting an HDD in my build. Have a 256gb in right now and don't REALLY need more than that.

Just waiting on a crazy deal for one of the good ones.

Hey dan

You can get a Samsung SSD 500 GB at Amazon for under $80.

I used to build my own and for awhile I was putting together high end workstation builds for GIS. People around campus would give me a call, and I did it for fun. For my builds I would overclock, spend way too much money on cooling, and obsess over benchmarks. Ha. Those were the days. Now I just buy computing devices as commodity items. Use 'em up, e-waste -em.

I used to build my own and for awhile I was putting together high end workstation builds for GIS. People around campus would give me a call, and I did it for fun. For my builds I would overclock, spend way too much money on cooling, and obsess over benchmarks. Ha. Those were the days. Now I just buy computing devices as commodity items. Use 'em up, e-waste -em.

AAPL would like to thank you. :ROFLMAO:

I‘m the same way. Built a few back in the day. Now...I’ll rock my iPad thanks.

Cool to see so many others building pcs on here. Anybody looking for good deals on components might want to check out buildapcsales on reddit. Although you might want to stay away if you're not currently looking because you might end up with some really good deals on parts you don't need.

ive considered building or buying a PC to handle video editing but havent really dived in. I would have to purchase the video equipment too and that is way more expensive that I have a budget for right now lol!

All the PCs in my house were built by me but I haven't built one for a couple years. I remember contemplating building my own laptop 10+ years ago.
This was me up until a few years ago... my last build is still sitting next to me but I haven't powered it up much lately. Seems I'm all about the portability these days. I used to remote into my desktop when on the road but now it seems to much trouble when I can just grab the macbook and have everything with me wherever I go.
I've never looked into trying to build my own laptop before. Is it even cost-effective these days?

ive considered building or buying a PC to handle video editing but havent really dived in. I would have to purchase the video equipment too and that is way more expensive that I have a budget for right now lol!

I haven't had time to dig into my new build, but so far I am really liking it. It's a Ryzen 3700X on a Gigabyte X570 Master motherboard. I sprang for a Gen 4 NVME SSD, and I'm not sure it's all that much faster than the cheaper Gen 3 units, but this sucker is fast and hasn't breathed hard yet. I bought a Corsair Air 540 case, and while it is a little cube-y, it makes assembly really easy and the unit runs absolutely cool and silent. If you have room for a mid-to full-size case, highly recommended.

I spec'd up a little because I'm going to digitize a lot of old home videos, audio cassettes, VHS tapes, and LPs. I needed a capture device, so I bought a Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4k capture card, which comes bundled with DaVinci Resolve, a video editor supposedly on par with Premiere or Vegas Pro. To transfer the commercial video tapes, I have a Time Base Corrector to remove the Macrrovision encoding.

This is my sixth homebuilt for me and family members. I once went back to big box units, but gave up on them about seven years ago. Our first homebuilt was a great father-son project with an AMD x-586 as well.

Building a PC is no more complicated than building a model airplane or car, and many times less difficult.

Back