Removing shaft safely

Dutch Duffer

Reaction score
Hi All,
this morning I wanted to adjust the loft of my driver. So I loosened the screw, but the shaft didn't want to get out. Any of you have a good tip to get it out safely?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to THP!
What kind of driver? Is the screw completely loose? Sometimes they feel like they should come free, but still need another few turns of the wrench to come loose.

This happened with my Cobra driver. I knocked it on a few surfaces and it came loose but I recommend doing it on carpet or a soft surface in case it flies off

Welcome to THP!
What kind of driver? Is the screw completely loose? Sometimes they feel like they should come free, but still need another few turns of the wrench to come loose.

Thanks,
was thinking of signing up for a long time, finally found a reason :) . It's a Ping G410, and yes the screw was completely loose.

I am afraid I have to do what Molten did, but since it is quite new hoped for a better solution / trick someone perhaps knew. Especially since there aren't many soft surfaces on the driving range!

Sometimes it’s a piece of grass or dirt gets in there. If you have some compressed air, try blowing some in there to dislodge it. If that doesn’t work, hit it with a bit of WD-40 or if you don’t have that, a bit of lubricant. If none of those work, then you are back to banging it a bit.

I'm not familiar with the Ping adapter, but if you can get it in a rubber clamp, you could probably just ease the head off by hand. Just make 100% sure that screw is not still holding it.

All that being said, it's impossible to adjust the loft of a driver head by turning it on the shaft.

I know the 410 hybrids are hard to come loose. I just tapped it on the floor and they will come loose.

If this is the original shaft with an adapter that came with the driver, you shouldn't have any issue extracting the hosel adapter. Take out the hosel screw completely off the head, don't lose the washer that came with it at the bottom of the screw.
Hold the head in one hand and the grip in another, twist ( tug) gently to let loose the shaft. Never force it or ban it on the floor. If that does not do the trick, take it to the nearest authorized dealer to have them extract it.
There is no reason why the adapter won't come out freely, even if it is brand new.

Did you try the Ping customer service line ( email or phone in ) ? Maybe there is an issue with the quality control of this batch of adapters.

Some after market adapters are not fitted well. As like everything else, never force it if it is a really tight fit and doesn't want to go in.
I hope no one installed the shaft while the epoxy for the shaft was not fully cured. That would require a little heat to soften the epoxy for it to get loose.

I have this problem with Ping drivers, specifically G400 and G410 all of the time. They get stuck more than just about any other in the lab. Super easy to fix though, do as was mentioned above and bang it on the ground a few times. Grass works fine. Or, if you don't feel comfortable with that, put the head cover on it, have someone hold one end and pull and twist at the same time. It should pop off.

This happened with my Cobra driver. I knocked it on a few surfaces and it came loose but I recommend doing it on carpet or a soft surface in case it flies off
Same thing for me on the Masters Edition F9. Just had to tap it on the ground a few times and it came loose

Thanks all for the suggestions, will take it home and see what I can do!

I did the same thing as Molten with a Titleist Driver and it came loose
without any issues,

Back