College Football Playoff

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
Do you like the current format of 4 teams? Personally, I think college football would be much better served if it were expanded to 8 teams as follows:

The five power 5 conference champions
The highest ranked team of the non-power 5 conferences
2 at-large teams.

What do you all think?

you've already said the right answer.

but, I would be ok if it stayed at 4, but required you to win your conference championship to get in.

I like your idea, however they get there it needs to be expanded to 8 teams. It's all about working the bowl games in and money. With the NCAA it's money, money, money, biggest autocratic, hypocratic organization going.

you've already said the right answer.

but, I would be ok if it stayed at 4, but required you to win your conference championship to get in.

I could obviously not get behind that as a ND fan. What if a team other than Clemson won the ACC Championship, likely with 2 or more losses, and the PAC 10 champion had 2 or more losses. Would one of those deserve to get in over a one loss non-champion SEC or Big 10 team or one loss ND or Clemson?

I do like the 8 team format as laid out in the OP.

I could obviously not get behind that as a ND fan. What if a team other than Clemson won the ACC Championship, likely with 2 or more losses, and the PAC 10 champion had 2 or more losses. Would one of those deserve to get in over a one loss non-champion SEC or Big 10 team or one loss ND or Clemson?

there is not enough interconference play to say otherwise. If you can't win your own conference, you shouldn't have a chance to win everything.

And ND would never make the playoff until they joined a conference. If i had my way.

there is not enough interconference play to say otherwise. If you can't win your own conference, you shouldn't have a chance to win everything.

And ND would never make the playoff until they joined a conference. If i had my way.

BB would not leave out a dominant team that got upset in their conference championship so why should FB?

If Clemson, Oklahoma, whoever turns out to be the best Big 10 team (Ohio State, Wisconsin or Penn State) and Alabama or LSU win out there would be no legitimate question or controversy with that format. Otherwise, I still like the current way of determining the 4 teams.

BB would not leave out a dominant team that got upset in their conference championship so why should FB?

If Clemson, Oklahoma, whoever turns out to be the best Big 10 team (Ohio State, Wisconsin or Penn State) and Alabama or LSU win out there would be no legitimate question or controversy with that format. Otherwise, I still like the current way of determining the 4 teams.

if you want to make a 64 team football bracket, sure. when there is only 4 spots there needs to be something objective.

The biggest issue with the current system is the subjectivity of the polls. Big names are automatically ranked higher. Texas is still higher ranked than Baylor with 2 losses, why? because inflated recruiting rankings and name bias. switch names and schedules. Texas is likely undefeated and top 5. Baylor probably would also have have 2 losses and no way they are ranked. Winning the conference you are in is an objective measure.

putting a bunch of smucks in a room to decide the 4 teams is the worst. the BCS computers were better.

if you want to make a 64 team football bracket, sure. when there is only 4 spots there needs to be something objective.

The biggest issue with the current system is the subjectivity of the polls. Big names are automatically ranked higher. Texas is still higher ranked than Baylor with 2 losses, why? because inflated recruiting rankings and name bias. switch names and schedules. Texas is likely undefeated and top 5. Baylor probably would also have have 2 losses and no way they are ranked. Winning the conference you are in is an objective measure.

putting a bunch of smucks in a room to decide the 4 teams is the worst. the BCS computers were better.

Can't argue against the poll biases. I live in the heart of SEC country and those teams definitely get inflated early until they get exposed. I honestly didn't have an issue with the BCS computer system either.

I like what is laid out in the OP for the 8 team deal. Awards the conference champions but does leave a little flexibility to put 2 very good teams in that would have missed out otherwise.

Can't argue against the poll biases. I live in the heart of SEC country and those teams definitely get inflated early until they get exposed. I honestly didn't have an issue with the BCS computer system either.

I like what is laid out in the OP for the 8 team deal. Awards the conference champions but does leave a little flexibility to put 2 very good teams in that would have missed out otherwise.

It really seems obvious and makes too much sense. :confused2:

If they are truly deserving, they would get one of the at large bids.

If they are truly deserving, they would get one of the at large bids.

I agree in the 8 team format layout. That comment was talking about a 4 team format with only conference champions getting into the playoff.

The additional problem with only 4 teams is that once a conference is left out a time or two, the hot recruits go to another conference and it becomes ever more difficult to break through. The PAC 12 has many more late night games and now seems to be falling behind the other conferences, at least since Oregon had its heyday. If every large conference had a spot in the playoffs, the recruiting would be on more equal footing each year, imo.

I second this. If ND insists on being the lone whole and and playing weak schedule they are out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree in the 8 team format layout. That comment was talking about a 4 team format with only conference champions getting into the playoff.
Gotcha. That's what I get for coming late to the conversation.

Speaking about conferences, I think that all member of any power 5 conference should all play the same amount of conference games and be docked (standings) if they don't.

Speaking about conferences, I think that all member of any power 5 conference should all play the same amount of conference games and be docked (standings) if they don't.

co-*******-sign, SEC has been milking the schedule for years.

honestly, i love the current system because it is flawed. it gets us talking. it makes people salty. and it creates a ton of drama. if the powers that be were all about money, they'd expand it in a heartbeat because i would think there's far more money in playoff football than there is in meaningless bowl games.

honestly, i love the current system because it is flawed. it gets us talking. it makes people salty. and it creates a ton of drama. if the powers that be were all about money, they'd expand it in a heartbeat because i would think there's far more money in playoff football than there is in meaningless bowl games.

Particularly if the playoff games were to continue to be incorporated into bowl games. There is no reason that could not be done, which would elevate the status of those bowl games chosen to host playoff games.

Your probably right but hung like a 3 year old boosters need something to be able to say “did yo see me whoop up in that Music City bowl sponsored by Petsmart?

The harder answer is eliminate polls and the ability of schools to create their own schedule if they want to compete in playoff and you have a winner on your hands.

Your probably right but hung like a 3 year old boosters need something to be able to say “did yo see me whoop up in that Music City bowl sponsored by Petsmart?

The harder answer is eliminate polls and the ability of schools to create their own schedule if they want to compete in playoff and you have a winner on your hands.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
What craig said at the start.

The other option being a 12 team playoff. Each conference champion gets in (g5 and p5) and 2 at large bids. Rewards a team for winning their conference and the debate then becomes which 4 teams get first round byes. While there may be some teams that get stomped, it should do a better job of highlighting g5 teams.

As long as Oklahoma gets in I don't care if its a 4 or 8 team playoff. The national champion would be playing a lot of games at that point.

The only way to make it better would be to get rid of the overtly corrupt syndicate that is college football.

As long as Oklahoma gets in I don't care if its a 4 or 8 team playoff. The national champion would be playing a lot of games at that point.
lol, love your honesty, we're all honks for our respective teams. I just love college football although the NCAA is doing their best to ruin it, the NFL has all but worn me out, money eventually ruins everything.?

Back