What's The Oldest Golf Course In Your Neck Of The Woods?

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Here in the western burbs of Chicago there is a place called the oldest golf course in the continental US (their words not mine). The course is called Chicago Golf Club. So I'm wondering what is the oldest golf course in you neck of the woods?

Interesting side note, at least to me is that before I retired I worked for Wheaton Sanitary District for 45 years. For a number of years there was a guy who was on the Board of Trustees for the District was a member of Chicago Golf. There was a period of 5 or 6 years where we would have our annual Xmas party there. Walking around in that clubhouse was liking being in a golf museum. The place was amazing. Never got a chance to play there though. ?

Capital City County Club, originally called the Tallahassee Country Club, was incorporated in 1924. There were a few rudimentary holes that was enlarged to 9, then to 18 by AW Tillinghast in the 30s.

Elsham Hall golf club which is my home course was established in 1900.

Annie Lake Golf Course. It was built during the Second World War by the US Army as they were carving a road to Alaska - the Alcan Highway.

Mare Island is touted as the oldest golf course west of the Mississippi (1892), while Del Monte (1897) is the oldest western course in continuous operation.

Cherokee Golf Club founded in 1895. It's a 9 hole mini designed by AW Tillinghast. The kind of course a Sunday bag is perfect for.

I believe it is Normandie Golf Course. It is supposedly the oldest public course west of the Mississippi River (In it’s original location) . 1901 was the year it was established.

Town and Country 1888. Here in Minneapolis there are about two dozen courses older than the one I’m at which was built in 1924.

I believe Augusta Country Club for Augusta proper and Palmetto for the CSRA. I believe Palmetto is one of the oldest in the US.

Home course is a Perry Maxwell design and was 1921.

I think oldest in the state is 1900. That predates our statehood by 7 years.

There is one about 10 minutes from me that is from 1895. Im not sure if that is the oldest or not. The one I grew up playing was buit in 1909.

Couple of hours north of my area, I played one while at a wedding that originated in 1898.

Glen Arvin Country Club. The 9 hole course opened about 120 years ago and that was expanded to 18 holes about 90 years ago.

Probably Augusta Country Club. I think it's been around since 1898, though I'm not sure how old the course is.

I believe Augusta Country Club for Augusta proper and Palmetto for the CSRA. I believe Palmetto is one of the oldest in the US.
Forgot about Palmetto. It's a bit older than ACC.

There is one about 10 minutes from me that is from 1895. Im not sure if that is the oldest or not. The one I grew up playing was buit in 1909.

Couple of hours north of my area, I played one while at a wedding that originated in 1898.

If you're thinking Van Schaick Island CC, I think you're right.

If you're thinking Van Schaick Island CC, I think you're right.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I know Albany CC formed prior to that, but the course part didnt hit until after that date IIRC.

Oldest country club in San Diego is San Diego Country Club that was created in 1897. On its current location since 1921. It was the first golf course in San Diego to have grass greens.
Balboa Park is the oldest municipal course dating back to 1915.

Up in Portland, the oldest country club there is also the 2nd oldest West of the Mississippi (their claim), Waverly Country Club created in 1896 and at its current location since 1897. And the oldest municipal course is Eastmoreland dating back to 1918.

If I could, I would join Waverly. It is set right on the Willamette River, the course runs really well through the area, and the clubhouse is one of the best I have come across.

Hyde Park, 1909.
Maketewah, 1910.
Scioto up in Columbus, 1916.

Oldest I've played in Ohio is The Country Club up in Cleveland, which was 1889. Don't really remember it though, was 15 years ago.

Hyde Park, 1909.
Maketewah, 1910.
Scioto up in Columbus, 1916.

Oldest I've played in Ohio is The Country Club up in Cleveland, which was 1889. Don't really remember it though, was 15 years ago.

Apparently they were really creative back then. Columbus Country Club was 1903, and The Country Club in Cleveland is 1889. Those are the two for my "home towns"

In my little area it's my home club River's Edge Golf Club, 1916. Name changed recently. Was the North Platte Country Club for a long time.

Maketewah, 1910.

Ooh. I'd love another chance at Maketewah. Had a round there this summer that didn't go as planned. Didn't get to take it in at all.

I believe it is Normandie Golf Course. It is supposedly the oldest public course west of the Mississippi River (In it’s original location) . 1901 was the year it was established.
Beat me to it (y).
You both beat me to it. But there is also Glen Echo CC that was also built in 1901. I'm not sure which is older but it's months difference.

Established in 1901, Glen Echo is the oldest, continually running country club and golf course west of the Mississippi River. It is also the oldest, continuously operating Olympic venue in the world.

This is the hole I had my first and only hole in one on.
Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 10.55.15 AM.png

Great Southern Golf Club, in Gulfport, was originally a 9-hole course designed by Donald Ross and built in 1908. I think it's the oldest in the state.

It needs some help. It's never recovered from the hurricane destruction in 2005 and recently filed for bankruptcy in July.

Back