Ball Color - Most Visible?

OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
Old eyes aren't following the ball as well as they used to, usually not a problem as it leaves the tee, and most of the flight, but I seem to lose track as the ball descends. Doesn't matter if its following my own shot, or watching someone else's shot, if I lose sight of the ball it is usually as it is coming down. I've pretty much always used white balls, but have tried yellow (several different ones), and have friends that play Truvis, and haven't seen any appreciable difference as far as tracking the ball in flight is concerned.

So, with all the color options available now, is there a color that REALLY makes a difference? I read an article that said the matte green balls are really up there for visibility, and the matte red looks like it might work. I just thought I'd ask here for some reliable THP input. Help an OldeDude out, I'm willing to give something different a try, just not sure which way to go.

I have resisted playing colored balls for about 40 years but have recently embraced playing yellow. Definitely more visible both in the air and on the ground for my old eyes.

For me and my eyes, the matte red seems to pop visually the best. They're also not as distracting at address. As much as I want to love truvis or the more traditional bright yellow balls, when I'm over the ball they're crazy distracting to me.

I've played yellow for the last 3 years and love them. So easy to see

I really don't like playing colored balls but I do switch to yellow during the fall and winter.

I’m a senior with vision issues and I have been playing the new Srixon soft feel in matte orange and I love them!
They stand out very well and they don’t scuff up. Nice spin and feel too for $19.95 a dozen.

I’m a big fan of the yellow balls as a rule, I like the matte colors too.
I think the yellow/black truvis is one of the easiest colors to spot though

Its weird but I don't find the colored balls to be easier to see than white

If it's cloudy I can track an orange ball the best but I've played 100% of my rounds the last 30 years with a white golf ball.

The matte red are surprisingly really difficult to find on the ground. I don't know what it is, but every time I have played with someone that has those balls our group spends a lot of time looking for them and often we find them in a spot where we have already looked at 2 or 3 times.

I have found best tracking with an orange ball. But that is against overcast skies for my eyes.

I really don't like playing colored balls but I do switch to yellow during the fall and winter.
Just gotta wait till the yellow leaves are gone, then I agree they are by far the easiest to see against the grey and brown late fall and winter landscape. Our course is always a bit wet and the ball washers are all put away so a white slightly dirty ball might as well be camoflouged laying amongst dead leaves and dead brown grass.

The darker colors are the best against the grey sky, the neon colors are the best in the rough.
Matte orange or red should be easy to follow against the bright grey sky, and the neon matte green is easier to spot in the grass ( yes, I know green against green , but see for yourself, each one of us is a little different ).

Most of all, ask yourself when was the last time you have a full check up with your vision ?

I said this because starting from several years ago I have a little trouble following the golf ball against the grey cloudy sky. Used to be the one in our group to spot golf balls for all and to find lost golf balls in the rough.
Then , recently found out I have the early sign of degenerating cataract. They're getting cloudy and soon will need replacement. This followed the dry-eye syndrome from a few years back.
I'm guessing one of the medication I'm taking might have something to do with the accelerated degeneration of my vision.

One of my client's wife in her early 50's also have cataract issue. There is no doubt where she got it. She's been exposed to the "blue light" for more than 3 decades 10-12 hours a day working in front of the computer/laptop screens, then watch TV when she gets home ...…….
For the golf balls, start with something like yellow / greenish yellow, then progress to orange/red later. There be nothing to look forward to if you start from the end. And please do have your vision checked out.

Yellow is way easier for me to track - and I especially like yellow / black truvis, I seem to be able to find it fastest in the rough

I've been playing the Matte Orange and Matt Red. Both of these seem to be easier for me to see. I used to exclusively play yellow, but not anymore.

Yellow by far is the most visible for me.

I have resisted playing colored balls for about 40 years but have recently embraced playing yellow. Definitely more visible both in the air and on the ground for my old eyes.

Same. I am going to switch to yellow for next year. edit: the yellow color is simply because that's the only option in the balls I prefer to play.

I'm with NullNomad on the red. Yellow does NOT work for me, or the prairie grasses here. Which sucks because you can get more and better balls in yellow. I can track the red in flight and spot them on the ground the easiest. I just wish there were more ball options in that color.

In general that's something I never understand - why most of the premium balls aren't available in more colors. I think there'd be a market.

edit:
Same. I am going to switch to yellow for next year. edit: the yellow color is simply because that's the only option in the balls I prefer to play.

See ^^

I am awful tracking my golf ball in the air, and even worse finding it in the rough, or when it goes into the trees. Main reason I went to Truvis because I always knew when I found my ball, since no one else I played with used Truvis, but never changed the color and kept with white. Perhaps a yellow Truvis or even yellow with TT will help next season. Think I will take the plunge.

Thanks for all the feedback!

My eyes are basically fine, it has just been a bit of a struggle for me with the age-based degradation (term the eye Doc used) to my vision. I was blessed with 20-10 vision most of my life, but the last few years that has dropped to the 20-25 to 20-30 range. I do have prescription glasses now, and am starting to get used to wearing them (mild prescription that isn't absolutely necessary). Some of the things I've mentioned to the eye Doc that bother me have gotten the response that only someone that has had such good vision their whole life would even notice them. That might be so, but it doesn't make it any easier for me to adjust to.

Oh well, back to the real topic, guess I'll just have to try different options, as yellow seems to be the most used by those that have responded so far, but doesn't seem to really help for me. I do prefer the look of a white ball, but am willing to try others if it helps me know where they went, because with my game that could be anywhere.

Yellow for fall, matte red is very very visible for me in season.

White I'm pretty good with year round.

Truvis is also another great option.

The matte red are surprisingly really difficult to find on the ground. I don't know what it is, but every time I have played with someone that has those balls our group spends a lot of time looking for them and often we find them in a spot where we have already looked at 2 or 3 times.

Yep, especially hard for colour blind people, which is about 20% of all males. I struggle to see a red or orange ball on the grass right in front of me, even though they look completely different to green in isolation.

I play with a guy who plays the matte red and those are easy to track once they cross the apex and start to descend.

Orange, yellow, green - in that order. I love red in the air, but if you spend a lot of time in the rough, then red is hard to find. Also, don't rule out white. Srixon's white is whiter than everyone else's. Try those.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back