Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons

There's definitely Sr (A) graphite shafts and regular shafts available in steel or graphite.

I've been reading everything I can find on the new Launcher HB Turbos and have seen nothing about optional shafts being available. Perhaps this info will come later with the actual release or when pre-ordering opens on Monday. It would be cool if one could get fitted into the "optimum" shaft

Usually once a product is available for order both TGW.com and Morton’s Golf lists them and has all the custom options and upcharges. Both sites now have the Turbos listed but only show the stock configurations. Hmm. Maybe just too early.

I went to my local fitting center Friday and the only Turbo they had so far in was the Halo hybrid in L flex.

Last week a good friend & golf bud upgraded from 2 years ago cleveland launcher hb irons to the new hb Turbo irons with C Kua 6R reg gr/ep shafts. These new irons upgraded his game too, from the old set. Higher, longer and straighter. Of course he's basking in the afterglow too. First shot yesterday with the new irons he put the 2nd shot 10 ft from the hole, hit the irons very well all day yesterday and today.

On the par 3 17th hole today, I asked Joe I could try his 7 iron to the 135 yd pin. Put a good swing on it and hit the ball 20 ft past the hole! On the 18th hole I asked to hit his PW from 100 yds to the pin. Another good swing, flushed it (Man did it feel great, also the 7 iron shot from the last hole was nutted too) to 10 ft past the hole with the PW. At 75 yrs old it's time for me to start playing these hollow irons, after hitting the 7 & PW so well. Time to retire the TM Burner 2.0 irons with reg gr/ep shafts.

I would recommend these! Also, if you get the Sr shafts there's an incredible whipping action in the new Launcher HB turbos with the A shaft. I demod these two weeks in a row. I really like them. But, for the near term I still love my HB3's. Likely, at some point, I will need to upgrade and change to senior shafts.

I ordered a set of these bad boys today. I've been very frustrated with my iron play for awhile now and I'm hoping the forgiveness provided by these gets me back on track.

I also ordered a 6 club set, 5 - PW, with the Miyazaki C Kua 6R shaft. Should be here mid next week.

I ordered a set of these bad boys today. I've been very frustrated with my iron play for awhile now and I'm hoping the forgiveness provided by these gets me back on track.
I also ordered a 6 club set, 5 - PW, with the Miyazaki C Kua 6R shaft. Should be here mid next week.

I believe @Ryan_BudgetGolf has a special coupon for THPers on this set, so hopefully you guys ordered from them.

How do you get the special coupon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that Cobra is about to come out with the new T-rail irons I'll be curious to see a comparison. I'd also love to hear from someone who has experience with the HL4's in comparison to the Turbos. I certainly think Cleveland will have the advantage in terms of standard shafts.
One of the 3 will be in my bag by spring...

Last edited:

Nice! I'll be waiting to hear how these work out for you!

Now that Cobra is about to come out with the new T-rail irons I'll be curious to see a comparison. I'd also love to hear from someone who has experience with the HL4's in comparison to the Turbos. I certainly think Cleveland will have the advantage in terms of standard shafts.
One of the 3 will be in my bag by spring...

I'm intrigued as well. I have Launcher HB irons with steel shafts, and HL 4 3-6iw 7-aw irons with graphite.

I liked the HL4 set better due to less pain after playing, but I hit them about the same: long, high and straight.

I like offset, so the HL look good. If you don't, the Cleveland clubs appear to have less offset. I'd be interested as to how the Cobras look at address.

Last edited:
I like offset, so the HL look good. If you don't, the Cleveland clubs appear to have less offset. I'd be interested as to how the Cobras look at address.

Good call out.
Tour Edge doesn't publish offset in their specs but its there with the HL4 ironwoods.

The Cleveland HB line (Altitudes, HB’s, Turbos) have very minimal offset, not just for an SGI type club but for any club.
The Turbo 6i has 2.03mm compared to say an Apex CF16 which has 4.06mm and an i210 which has 3.05mm.
Actually they fall more in line offset-wise with a muscle back like an MP-20 which has 2.31mm of offset.

I am not certain for me if more offset actually equals more draw but when I tested the HL4 Ironwood it definitely drew on me more than the Altitudes (game now) and in my testing of the HB’s and Turbos so far. I prefer a baby draw but the HL4 was always missing hard left.

Also for me it’s easier to address the ball and lineup to my target with less offset.
I had a really tough time with the 6 and 7 irons in my G700 set in trying to get aligned to the target (5.8mm offset in the 6i).
To my eye the G700's never started to look right to my eye offset wise until the 8i which is 4.6mm (still a good amount).

The Cobra T-Rail 6i has 3.4mm off offset. So still there but nothing excessive. These should look really good.

Some in hand pics
83BDED01-DF89-473E-8149-374CBA85E60B.jpeg
8FE53819-6BB0-4BE6-8436-1C781453EFCB.jpeg
B8FEB4A0-6690-4BC2-809E-2A00DFE2E5D9.jpeg
DED8ACEE-A1C7-4387-9229-A320B836210C.jpeg
The one above is next to my Altitude iron. Top line is definitely thinner on the Turbo

Good stuff erock

Full disclosure on my numbers above.

The Turbo I was able to hit those 5 shots in a row without throwing any shots out. With the UHX I had to hit 8 shots to get 5 decent ones.

Great info. Thanks for sharing. I was surprised at the spin rate for the turbos. I hit the last generation in graphite just last week and was averaging above 5000 RPM. Perhaps the bay at Golftown wasn't that accurate or the graphite made a significant difference!? Right now without having hit them I believe the T-rails have the lead in terms of my new set for next season. Thanks again erock!

Great info. Thanks for sharing. I was surprised at the spin rate for the turbos. I hit the last generation in graphite just last week and was averaging above 5000 RPM. Perhaps the bay at Golftown wasn't that accurate or the graphite made a significant difference!? Right now without having hit them I believe the T-rails have the lead in terms of my new set for next season. Thanks again erock!

Don't read too much into my spin numbers.
I am a relatively low spin player but my numbers above looked abnormally low.

When I had my fitting in April 2018 on Trackman (outdoor range) I spun my Altitude 7i 5100, the G700 7i 5100 and the i200 7i 6000 which seems about right.
The numbers above are on a CG2 and was set to "driver" and I am unsure if that impacts the spin rates.

At another session last month (on Trackman indoor), I spun my Altitude 7i 5050.

To my eye the ball flight of the Turbo and the Altitude are not much different so I would expect the spin to be pretty consistent between the two.

I'll see if another shop in town that has a CG2 has the Turbo's in. if they do I will try and capture some new numbers.

Don't read too much into my spin numbers.
I am a relatively low spin player but my numbers above looked abnormally low.

When I had my fitting in April 2018 on Trackman (outdoor range) I spun my Altitude 7i 5100, the G700 7i 5100 and the i200 7i 6000 which seems about right.
The numbers above are on a CG2 and was set to "driver" and I am unsure if that impacts the spin rates.

At another session last month (on Trackman indoor), I spun my Altitude 7i 5050.

To my eye the ball flight of the Turbo and the Altitude are not much different so I would expect the spin to be pretty consistent between the two.

I'll see if another shop in town that has a CG2 has the Turbo's in. if they do I will try and capture some new numbers.

It shouldn't impact spin numbers, and they do coincide fairly well with the rest of the ball flight, which is quite low averaging under 60 feet.

It shouldn't impact spin numbers, and they do coincide fairly well with the rest of the ball flight, which is quite low averaging under 60 feet.

I do tend to hit the ball pretty low. With a 6i on firm days even with a urethane ball if I over draw it, it will come in hot and maybe skip off the back. I keep trying high lofted hybrids to replace the 6i to increase height but then my accuracy suffers. Pretty much why the Tudes keep making the bag. The Tude 6i is a great bridge club between hybrids and irons for me.

As a piece of cross validation, Crossfield's review out on the HB Turbos as well - I knew he would love them. (y)

Back