Golfer DQ’d from Event for running out of Balls

JDax

The Finley Cooler
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1
“Failure to complete a hole” was the official designation.

• Staff
Remember that time I had to buy balls at the turn, because I caught the s_anks on the front...?

Remember that time I had to buy balls at the turn, because I caught the s_anks on the front...?

How could I forget?

Thats crazy for a pro. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of that from a big time pro. He should have looked through the rough to find any ball...finds Pinnacle gold and plays lights out for the rest of the way.

I lost 9 my first round of my first THP event. To my credit though we probably could have found most of those had I not been sucking so bad that I didn’t care.

Made it through the second round only losing 2, lol. On the same damn tee. There’s a lot of water on Firestone North.

I know a fellow member here that knows a successful LPGA player, I forget if it’s 2 or 3 but I think it’s 2 balls that she starts a round with. She’s not ever been DQ’d due to this.

I was thinking this was going to be some obscure player but I’ve definitely heard of him, and if he’s 41st in their standings he’s one helluva player. Sounds like there’s more to it than this Tin Cup moment.

He is not shy about poking fun at other players. Talk about Karma, this could get good.

Playing partners were unsure as to how many balls he hit in the water.

You're allowed to borrow equipment (other than clubs) from another player. But from the sound of it, he had no interest in finishing.

There's a Tiger story out there where it almost happened to him in 2000 at the US Open at Pebble Beach.

From GolfWorld..... ""Stevie said, 'I'd like for you to hit an iron, just to get it into play,'" Woods said. "But I was swinging it so well, so I went with the driver. Obviously I didn't know the complete situation: The only ball I had left was the one I teed up. "

Thats crazy for a pro. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of that from a big time pro. He should have looked through the rough to find any ball...finds Pinnacle gold and plays lights out for the rest of the way.

I doubt that would help as most of the time these guys have to play with the same brand and type of ball, right?

Also, it's not that crazy, even for a pro. Tiger nearly ran out of balls in his 2000 U.S. Open record setting performance.

You're allowed to borrow equipment (other than clubs) from another player. But from the sound of it, he had no interest in finishing.
One ball rule so would have to be exact brand model and markings then he could I think

One ball rule so would have to be exact brand model and markings then he could I think

That's true. Of course there's a high chance someone is playing the same model of white Titleist at a PGA Tour event.

That's true. Of course there's a high chance someone is playing the same model of white Titleist at a PGA Tour event.

I didn't read the story. Did he lose them in a WH? If so, he might have a better chance Happy Gilmore'ing it and going for a swim to find one of his!

Just saying this could be one of us tomorrow. The Champion awaits...

Yeah someone most likely was unless he had an odd marked prototype. I think he just did't care because he went tin cup.

The Tiger down to one ball thing happened because he was the only one playing a prototype brand new ball from off brand at the time.

I listened to Lee Trevino talking about Arnold Palmer's last round on the tour.

I just counted , I have 24 balls in my bag... I would have a hard time to run out in a round.

There's a Tiger story out there where it almost happened to him in 2000 at the US Open at Pebble Beach.

From GolfWorld..... ""Stevie said, 'I'd like for you to hit an iron, just to get it into play,'" Woods said. "But I was swinging it so well, so I went with the driver. Obviously I didn't know the complete situation: The only ball I had left was the one I teed up. "

It’s amazing to think this could ever happen to a pro. I know the story I told above, but seriously? I’ve lost over a dozen balls before and still has ammo left. In those gigantic ass staff bags they make their caddies carry how could they ever be close to running out of balls? I get that they’re good and 99% of their rounds can be played with 2 balls, but I’d hare to be DQ’d because I was the dumba** that only brought a sleeve with me.

It makes you wonder how many balls these pros have in their bag during a round.

Hard to fathom how a pro that gets as many balls as he wants for free could ever be caught short handed.

Sounds like he had a bad start, knew he was already in the next tournament, and was just looking for a reason not to keep up a bad round/tournament. Dude probably hit the bar and had the most relaxing Saturday afternoon he's had in a while. lol

I can't stand having a lot of balls in my bag. In the summer I only play one kind of ball, and typically buy just one sleeve of them at a new course before I start, so I've definitely come close to running out. Sometimes a little extra pressure is just what you need to bring out your best.

It seems Eddie Pepperell is good for a headline grab about once a month

I just counted , I have 24 balls in my bag... I would have a hard time to run out in a round.
Hold my beer.....

Back