Looking more into the timing of the Garrett tackle, can we really saw without doubt that he knew the ball was gone?

1573832109651.png

At the time he goes for the tackle and makes contact, the ball is still in the hands of Rudolph.

Really enjoyed this segment;

I saw that earlier. My only negative about it, is he said he hasn't seen it before.
But this is the third time, right? Throwing a punch at Delanie Walker. Ending the season on a late hate of Simian.

Obviously the latter is nothing like this, because late hits are by the second, but the driving into the ground on both is a tough one.

One thing for sure, this is going to cost Garrett a lot of money. I believe his prorated signing bonus is part of his salary loss during the suspension. If it's for the rest of the season that means over $2.9 million lost plus whatever fine they hand down.

I saw that earlier. My only negative about it, is he said he hasn't seen it before.
But this is the third time, right? Throwing a punch at Delanie Walker. Ending the season on a late hate of Simian.

Obviously the latter is nothing like this, because late hits are by the second, but the driving into the ground on both is a tough one.
The title of that video sucks haha, I liked the whole conversation. Some incorrect information but I like hearing from guys who've been out there sharing their takes, especially a day after when the play/scrum can be adequately dissected.

The title of that video sucks haha, I liked the whole conversation. Some incorrect information but I like hearing from guys who've been out there sharing their takes, especially a day after when the play/scrum can be adequately dissected.

Huge fan of Good Morning Football.

I'd be really interested to see if football starts receiving legal actions as well for on field events. A lot of what happens on a football field would be considered assault outside of Football, and you could argue someone blind siding someone or certain helmet to helmet hits would be chargeable offenses too. Given the potential long term effects. I don't think that would ultimately be a very popular decision for the players in the league. Now, granted, this isn't something in the general play of football - but neither is any fight that happens on field. This just happens to be one of the worst - although not the first time it has happened oddly enough per the videos Canadan posted.

I'd be really interested to see if football starts receiving legal actions as well for on field events. A lot of what happens on a football field would be considered assault outside of Football, and you could argue someone blind siding someone or certain helmet to helmet hits would be chargeable offenses too. Given the potential long term effects. I don't think that would ultimately be a very popular decision for the players in the league. Now, granted, this isn't something in the general play of football - but neither is any fight that happens on field. This just happens to be one of the worst - although not the first time it has happened oddly enough per the videos Canadan posted.

I'd be surprised if this goes down that road. Very slippery slope. Had Rudolph sustained a more serious injury than it appears so far, maybe.

Years ago some coward in Green Bay made a stir to take that route against Warren Sapp after a blindside hit, that was completely clean (ruled so by the NFL).

Quoting for @blugold. Not sure how you're seeing anything else.

Also, not a Browns fan. Tried and failed per usual. Not a Steelers hater either.
I definitely see him trying to rip Garett’s helmet off, from a couple different camera angels. He tried several times to pull Garett’s helmet off.

Agree to disagree. Again, I saw the video. That wasn't "trying to rip his helmet off", not to me anyways. I didn't see Rudolph's actions as anything different that stuff that happens every game in the NFL.

Years ago some coward in Green Bay made a stir to take that route against Warren Sapp after a blindside hit, that was completely clean (ruled so by the NFL).

Mike Sherman was embarrassing over that. The fact that Chad Clifton played after that injury is impressive. It was a legal hit and any legal action was bogus in that scenario.

That's an interesting take. I call football violence as entertainment. Just depends on how one views it. To many of us football fans, the physical nature and occasional contextual violence is part of the game. Blurred line with the external world.

Back to this incident, I think Rudolph was an idiot and Garrett went too far. But it was also heat of the moment in a very physical and intense competitive moment. There is a point where if we let football be what it is, things like that are going to happen. Perfect people do not exist. NFL will dish out fines and suspensions. I hope it ends there.

When I was getting ready this morning, Golic & Wingo referenced a hockey incident where the offender was actually prosecuted in Canada. Sounded like an intentional stick to the face. I wasn't playing close attention, but does anyone know what they were referencing?

When I was getting ready this morning, Golic & Wingo referenced a hockey incident where the offender was actually prosecuted in Canada. Sounded like an intentional stick to the face. I wasn't playing close attention, but does anyone know what they were referencing?
There have been a couple over the last 30ish years. Look up Bertuzzi vs Moore, McSorley vs Brashear, and Ciccarelli vs Richardson.

From SI article this morning talking about potential legal actions for Garret. https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/15/myles-garrett-mason-rudolph-browns-steelers-fight-legal-fallout

Law enforcement and prosecutors in Canada have been more willing to bring charges than their counterparts in the U.S. Thirty-one years ago, a Canadian judge sentenced Minnesota North Stars right wing Dino Ciccarelli to one day in jail on account of him repeatedly striking Maple Leafs defenseman Luke Richardson on the head with his stick. In the early 2000s, two NHL players—Boston Bruins defenseman Marty McSorley and Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi—were charged with crimes in Canada for on-ice incidents. McSorley had slashed Vancouver Canucks left wing in the head during a game while Bertuzzi had smashed Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore’s face into the ice

You are spot on. A lot of what happens in football (and other sports) could potentially have civil or criminal ramifications.

This is a very interesting subject regarding sports. When does conduct during a sporting event rise to the level that legal consequences, civil or criminal, could result? Not to get into detail, but generally participants in sports assume a risk that they can be injured in the course of the event. And they assume a risk that they can be injured by the negligent conduct of other participants. That generally would include assuming a risk that you could be injured by helmet to helmet conduct during the course of play. And would also probably include assuming a risk of being injured by other conduct that is outside the rules, i.e, late hits.

The question is where do you draw the line. I don't where that is. But the further the incident or conduct is removed from the recognized course of play, the greater that possibility that there could be legal consequences.

But I would argue that a professional football player assumes a risk of suffering a head injury resulting during the course of play but not from being struck in the head by a helmet swung by another player.

I'm just going to say if Rudolph had been seriously injured, Garrett would likely be facing criminal charges. I don't know the penal law of the state of Ohio but in NY that conduct (swinging a helmet as a weapon) resulting in physical injury (a term defined under the law) would potentially be a felony.

Last edited:
There have been a couple over the last 30ish years. Look up Bertuzzi vs Moore, McSorley vs Brashear, and Ciccarelli vs Richardson.

Canadan, take some time to look up Dave Forbes. He played for the Bruins. He was prosecuted in Minnesota in the 1970's for a incident involving Henry Bouche of the Minnesota North Stars. Forbes butt ended Bouche causing serious injury to his eye socket. I know as a hockey fan you will realize that I mean he hit him in the eye with the butt end of his hockey stick.

That criminal prosecution resulted in a hung jury (the jury was not able to reach a unanimous verdict).

From SI article this morning talking about potential legal actions for Garret. https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/15/myles-garrett-mason-rudolph-browns-steelers-fight-legal-fallout

Law enforcement and prosecutors in Canada have been more willing to bring charges than their counterparts in the U.S. Thirty-one years ago, a Canadian judge sentenced Minnesota North Stars right wing Dino Ciccarelli to one day in jail on account of him repeatedly striking Maple Leafs defenseman Luke Richardson on the head with his stick. In the early 2000s, two NHL players—Boston Bruins defenseman Marty McSorley and Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi—were charged with crimes in Canada for on-ice incidents. McSorley had slashed Vancouver Canucks left wing in the head during a game while Bertuzzi had smashed Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore’s face into the ice

Dave Forbes of the Boston Bruins was criminally prosecuted in Minnesota in 1975 for hitting Henry Bouche of the Minnesota North Stars in the eye with the butt end of his stick. That prosecution ended in a hung jury (the jury was not able to reach a unanimous verdict). He was not retried.

The Bertuzzi thing is still the worst thing I've ever watched in sports. Maybe it's skewed because I was an Avalanche fan growing up, or because of the result, but man that was bad.

The Bertuzzi thing is still the worst thing I've ever watched in sports. Maybe it's skewed because I was an Avalanche fan growing up, or because of the result, but man that was bad.
No, it was ugly no matter who you were rooting for. Ugly ugly ugly.

Speaking of the avalanche, Claude Lemieux's cheap shot on Kris Draper is near the top for me. I still remember that hit on Anquan Bolden in an nfl game too. Was terrifying.

Thanks, man. Kinda wish I hadn't clicked on the links though: hard to watch.

Back