If you could always play at your best...

WMac19

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If you could always reasonably expect to play near your personal best ability, would your equipment choices change?

I thought of this because there's no doubt that I've picked my equipment for its performance. Yet also, largely to mask my flaws.

If I knew that I could/would play near my best every time, present to preferred:

Driver: I'd likely stick with my G400 Max. Love that thing.

FW/Hybrids: out would be my hybrids, in would be 3W/5W or 4W/7W

Irons: out would be my P790 and in would be my Mizuno MP-52. When I'm on, their precision is fantastic. Also the best irons I've played for chipping, bump & runs, etc.

Wedges: although I like larger wedges and play the PMs and Fourteen RM-22J, I'd probably opt for a smaller profile, maybe commit to the standard RM-22 as they're great wedges, just less forgiving than the J.

Putter: my beloved Directed Force Reno would likely be parked in the closet for my Scotty Squareback.

Ball: I put a prerequisite on accuracy off the tee so will sacrifice some greenside spin to achieve a straighter driver ballflight. I'd give the higher spinning X balls a longer look, for sure.

I wish I could say that I'd play exactly what I have but much of what I play helps me to play better when my swing is not exactly on. For days when it is, I can't help but think that I could score even better with some of the above instead.

How 'bout you?

I would say look at your ball regardless.

I was in the "less spin off the tee" camp until the Q-star Tour deal.

I now realize consistent spin around the greens > less spin with driver for this 15 index guy. :)

I would say look at your ball regardless.

I was in the "less spin off the tee" camp until the Q-star Tour deal.

I now realize consistent spin around the greens > less spin with driver for this 15 index guy. :)
My statement about straightness and spin is relative as I still use balls that spin well around the greens.

My present would likely check anyone's box for suitable spin (Z-Star).

Prior favorites have been the Duo-Pro and Mizuno RB Tour. I like the Tour B X for its straight flight but it launches too high for my tastes.

Whereas the XV, TP5X and Tour B XS curve too much for my tastes off the tee with driver yet are fantastic around the greens.

Not at all. I think I am still choosing forgiveness and distance and enjoying it.

Not likely, I made my choices with the mind set that I wanted to learn how to hit and swing properly. Has it cost me strokes? Probably. That said my ball striking is improving at a decent rate at this point.

Rogue driver
Fuzion 3 FW
Big Bertha Hybrids
Apex 19 irons
Strike Lab 1 putter

Only thing maybe is I’d play a Tru Vis. Much easier for me to locate on the course.

I don't think it would change much.

Maybe the only change would be the 5 wood for a driving iron. The few times I've had a driving iron in the bag I've always enjoyed it, but my swing doesn't always match with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bag would stay the same.

I am keeping my bag exactly as it is
Just put new Recoil 760es smacWrap shafts in my Ping G irons. I hit them well-Why change

my driver, G400 aft, not goi g to find better
3wood Ping G400 aft, straight tried & true
G410 3&4 hybrid.... keeping!
Glide 2.0 50* 54* & 58*.... nothing wrong here
Scotty Futura X5 dual balance

keep what I got!

I dont think my bag would change even if I could play my best every time out.
My current bag consists of: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* driver (set to 12.5*), Tommy Armour Atomic 5-wood, Tommy Armour Atomic 5, 7 and 9-irons, Cleveland CBX 56* wedge, Ping Anser putter and Pinnacle Soft balls.
Even if I always played by best, I would still be happy with my driver and 5-wood. I maybe would set the driver to 10.5 degrees because I would have the confidence to swing harder and feel like I could still find the fairway. My irons wouldnt really change because I hit them well and they give me good distance. I dont really feel that a player's cavity back or blade would do much for me because what I need is something that hits the ball higher and farther. The same with my wedge. Im happy with it and am a believer in cavity back wedges with wider soles that are similar to my irons. I used to not be a fan of wide sole wedges because I liked to open the face but lately Ive stopped hitting open faced wedge shots and feel like its a safer, more reliable approach.
Same with the putter. Its a proven, time-tested design that I trust.
The same with the balls too. The price is right, they are made in the USA and are of good quality.

I suspect I would play the same clubs. If was good enough and full on blades would give me a performance boost, I would certainly play them. But at this point I don't think clubs are holding me back or limiting my potential. I like that goldilocks zone where I get enough feedback and enough forgiveness. I think the super duper playing version of me would feel the same way.

The only reason my bag will be changing is for newer technology that will help me become that good player. Once I can get good consistent swings, then I will start the look for the unicorn clubs that give me a little extra.

About the only thing I'd think about changing might be my hybrids. When I'm hitting my 4W well, there's a good sized gap between it an my 3H, and my new 5i is encroaching on the range that my 4h goes. They go a little too high and spin a little too much for my current swing, but I know them like an old pair of slippers.

I'm currently playing the best golf I've played. I'm sure the technology in my bag is a large part of it. Hopefully I can learn to close the drivers face better. And get the proper body twist/lean so that i'm better at hitting the ball first instead of such a sweeper.

If I always played my best, I'd probably go to forged irons. But since I don't, I'll stick with my game improvement set.

I'd play my Nike Vapor Pro blades permanently if it meant always scoring at my limit (which is not far off)

Back