Id love to, but I don’t have the extra time to make the changes stick. It might be something I can do once I’m down to coaching one soccer team.

How is the practice going in between lessons?

Honest answer is so/so. A mix of frustration, enjoyment, potential, and regret, haha. I'm doing it over the winter so that I embrace the changes and don't care where the ball is going for a while. If you would have seen my range session today you would have laughed at me for like 60% of my swings. But the other 40% showed what the potential could be. Going to stick with it, and hopefully be ready by Spring.

Honest answer is so/so. A mix of frustration, enjoyment, potential, and regret, haha. I'm doing it over the winter so that I embrace the changes and don't care where the ball is going for a while. If you would have seen my range session today you would have laughed at me for like 60% of my swings. But the other 40% showed what the potential could be. Going to stick with it, and hopefully be ready by Spring.

No man, I get it. A few years ago (wow, it has been about 6 now), I started this and it was topped balls, thins, etc. Then you get one and it is pure and you realize what is in there somewhere. I got an injury and then backed off, but glad to see others are going through it.

That being said I just bought a live view sports camera and plan on hitting the sim hard this winter to get the fundamentals and changes down I’ve been trying to master for a long time.

Anyways JB, good luck. It’s crazy difficult to ingrain these new moves without countless reps and hours of practice.

The struggle is real.

I've been working with coaches for 6 years to undo a swing that I created when I thought I was smart enough to fix my own swing. I've seen some good days but the old tendencies are hard to overcome

That being said I just bought a live view sports camera and plan on hitting the sim hard this winter to get the fundamentals and changes down I’ve been trying to master for a long time.

Anyways JB, good luck. It’s crazy difficult to ingrain these new moves without countless reps and hours of practice.

The struggle is real.

I actually haven’t decided if I am going to do it yet, but I am having some unique thoughts. While the passion for the game is stronger than ever, now is the first time I am getting crazy excited about playing again. Part of that is because what we have on tap for 2020, part of that is how much fun I have had playing the last couple of times out.

Visiting her old instructor got me thinking.

I am currently in the process. I need to completely start over after the debacle that was last season

Way too often. I've wanted to not be as long in my backswing for forever, but it ruins a lot of what I get right coming back into the ball.

In the next five to ten years it's kind of inevitable though.

No man, I get it. A few years ago (wow, it has been about 6 now), I started this and it was topped balls, thins, etc. Then you get one and it is pure and you realize what is in there somewhere. I got an injury and then backed off, but glad to see others are going through it.

It's definitely a humbling experience. You really have to be willing to get worse before you get better. And for most of us, you included obviously, we don't have time to be spending hours at the range every day to get it ingrained quickly. So it becomes a bit of a drawn out process, and can easily lead to giving up. Just have to be patient (easier said than done), and take the long term approach. I think one of the biggest keys is finding an instructor you trust, and who you get along with, and don't feel bad about looking like an idiot at times in front of.

I am currently in the process. I need to completely start over after the debacle that was last season

Going through an instructor?

I think the best thing for my golf enjoyment was taking 16 years off. When I came back there were a few thing I just knew hampered my swing. So I set out to purposely not do them.

That’s clearly not the same as choosing to reprogram my body to swing a different way. All respect to those that make that endeavor happen.

It's definitely a humbling experience. You really have to be willing to get worse before you get better. And for most of us, you included obviously, we don't have time to be spending hours at the range every day to get it ingrained quickly. So it becomes a bit of a drawn out process, and can easily lead to giving up. Just have to be patient (easier said than done), and take the long term approach. I think one of the biggest keys is finding an instructor you trust, and who you get along with, and don't feel bad about looking like an idiot at times in front of.

If I head down the path, I have made peace with this part.

If I head down the path, I have made peace with this part.

Come join me on it, will be entertaining at least. We could have an #ssholes & Esquires reunion with our new swings in a year or 2 haha.

Come join me on it, will be entertaining at least. We could have an #ssholes & Esquires reunion with our new swings in a year or 2 haha.

Hahaha. That was a fun time. I remember Danny, “Well, I know you’re not a lawyer, so that leaves asshole”

Ever wanted to rebuild the swing? I don’t necessarily mean start over from scratch, but basically doing so, without erasing any natural athleticism you might have?

Any reason you have or have not?
I think a near "re-build" from time-to-time is good for everyone. I call it "re-baselining". Let's face it, and I'm guilty too, as time marches on we run into various shot issues on a given day/week/month. As such, we start fussing with various segments of the swing to isolate the "fault" which in reality often negatively impacts other parts of the swing. Before I know it, I'm back to square one anyway. And in my case, I try to remember to accept the uniqueness of my swing which could be more compact, not as "wide-reaching", more upright, etc. We all see pros on tour who have what some would term "non-textbook" swings for which I'm fairly certain instructors tried to "teach-out".

I want to do a total rebuild with my instructor , but I’m not patient enough and don’t have the time to practice drills to dial in a new swing...

Yes, I went thru a rebuild 5 years ago. It was a long and tedious process and not sure one I would recommend. When I first started the process, I was getting a lesson every two weeks. Now I get maybe 3 lessons a year usually in the off-season to tune things up. During the season if things go sideways I shoot a video to my coach. A couple of texts or phone call later and I am straightened out. All total I would say the process from start to finish was 3 years to total trust. Throughout the process I played some great golf and some terrible golf. It was tough during the awful rounds to stay committed to the changes being made. If not for believing the changes were needed and beneficial for my game. I would have abandoned the process early on. Coming out the process, I now have a swing that is more on plan, the ability to work the ball both ways when needed, and have eliminated the big miss. In the end, I am glad I went thru the process, but not sure it is something I would do again.

I actually haven’t decided if I am going to do it yet, but I am having some unique thoughts. While the passion for the game is stronger than ever, now is the first time I am getting crazy excited about playing again. Part of that is because what we have on tap for 2020, part of that is how much fun I have had playing the last couple of times out.

Visiting her old instructor got me thinking.

Then go for it.
Nothing worse than regretting the old should’ve.

Although if you’re content and having a good time and comfortable with your current swing that’s also great.

You issues for me:
1. Time
2. Patience

It would be tough to find time to practice and groove a new swing. It's already hard enough to get little changes to stick. I'm also not very good at being patient which would be a problem.

I've gone through this a bit over the last year. I've had bouts where my swing completely disappeared (it was very unfortunate that one of those was last December). Started with a new instructor over last winter, and while we have made mostly small, piecemeal changes, the end result has been a huge difference in setup/swing.

It hasn't been a smooth process in terms of lowering the cap, but things are more consistent from a contact perspective.

I need to get some of my lesson video from him, but once I do I'll share some stills from the video. It's been really eye opening.

Ever wanted to rebuild the swing? I don’t necessarily mean start over from scratch, but basically doing so, without erasing any natural athleticism you might have?

Any reason you have or have not?

I don't know if I'd call my goal this winter to rebuild it completely, but it's gonna get some major tweaks.

You issues for me:
1. Time
2. Patience

It would be tough to find time to practice and groove a new swing. It's already hard enough to get little changes to stick. I'm also not very good at being patient which would be a problem.

what about winter time for you?

I really don't think I could, or honestly really have the desire to, after 40 years of playing. I try to tweak some things from time to time but don't have the patience to endure the growing pains and end up abandoning the tweaks. Now if someone told me they could make me a consistent putter, I would be all ears and would dedicate myself to improving that aspect of my game. I have tried everything else.

I've wanted to for a couple years but I dont gave the time, money, or patience.
Maybe one day, maybe not.

Going through an instructor?
I’ve taken one lesson from an instructor which didn’t take. Since I’ve Taken lots of video and actually been discussing with @Lions81 who is going through a similar change

Plan is to get a lesson package and see an instructor over the winter, possibly even the same one he is using

Back