Mixing hybrids into your bag

What combination of hybrids and irons do you use?

• Total voters

Stuggy

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm not a great golfer however I am starting to try and work on my bag a bit. I have a cheap starter set from years ago. At the time I also bought a few cheap hybrids. I have recently bought decent wedges (Cleveland).

I am working towards replacing my irons which brought to my attention that people selling their sets sometimes start with a 6 iron. I would have thought they would have a 5 or lower (but less likely). So obviously people are mixing in hybrids into the lower iron range. I am thinking of 5-9 since I've got nice wedges now.

I will probably work on getting some better hybrids after I get replacement irons.

I'm curious what you guys are using as far as irons vs hybrids.

Last edited:
I've been considering replacing my long irons with hybrids for a couple years. I carry a 4h and also the 4i from by iron set. While I can get more maximum distance from the 4i, average distance and dispersion with the 4h is better.

It's not like a hybrid is a magic bullet, however. I bought a TourEdge 3h earlier in the year but gave it away because I didn't care for it. I'm curious what a fitted set of hybrids could do for my game.

To your point @Stuggy , if I were to ever invest in a completely new bag, I would do as you've described. Unless it was the best fit, I wouldn't buy a set of irons GW through 4i again. I might want my 9i through 6i to match, but would look at easier-to-hit hybrids, as well as custom wedges.

When I'm getting the same distance with my 5i and 4i that I am with the 6i, it's time to make a change.

My current setup has zero hybrids. I may change that up next year.

Have tried several and hybrids and my game are line oil and water. Going back to a 4 iron or utility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 6-gw for the set. I have always had The 4-5 hybrids In the bag. They are some of my favorite clubs. I use them a lot off the tee for shorter par 4 shots and some longer par 3. Easy to hit and get air born and the big berthas great for distance.

Zero hybrids as of right now but I would like to find something to replace the 4i/5i slot. Thinking about going 9 wood then 6-GW

I love hybrids and currently have a 4 and 5 in the bag. They are something you need to try many of to find what fits you. The Cobra F8 reviewed really well and I purchased them, however they just don’t work for me. Currently gaming Big Bertha 815 I believe and like em. Really want to add a Super Hybrid to the mix. Just not sure which one yet.

I love hybrids and currently have a 4 and 5 in the bag. They are something you need to try many of to find what fits you. The Cobra F8 reviewed really well and I purchased them, however they just don’t work for me. Currently gaming Big Bertha 815 I believe and like em. Really want to add a Super Hybrid to the mix. Just not sure which one yet.
What was your biggest issue with F8 hybrids? I'm gaming F8 4 and 5, can hit them decently but they feel too light compared to my irons. SW is D0 (at least according to specs) and my irons are around D2.

What was your biggest issue with F8 hybrids? I'm gaming F8 4 and 5, can hit them decently but they feel too light compared to my irons. SW is D0 (at least according to specs) and my irons are around D2.
Not really sure to be honest. Just was never able to make good contact with them. Maybe it’s weight but i really don’t know why. Been thinking about trying em at the range again.

I currently only have a 4h. Been thinking of adding a 3h or a 3 iron. My current iron set starts at a 5i.

It seems like as I get older, every couple of years I add another hybrid. I now have 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 hybrids. I still carry a 7 iron as well but usually it leaves my bag during tournaments, etc.

I have always loved hybrids. I have a 2, 3 & 4. I can still hit a 5 iron well but will look to a 5 H when I lose that ability.

I have a 6 hybrid in the bag and occasionally rotate a 4 hybrid in, depending on the course

Since I have not been able to hit hybrids successfully I tried the Tour Edge Hot Launch ironwoods at the top oh my bag. Started out with the HL3 #3 then #2. Since then I have added a TE Bazooka Platinum #4 and HL4 #5 and #6. So when I recently bought new irons I went 7-GW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the 19° and 22° hybrids off of the fairways. On the tee box it is all irons.

I had been playing with 4i through GW as a matched set and a 3H. I found the distance was so close between my 4i, 5i and 3H that I needed a change. Did some testing and lofted my 3H up to 23 degrees, dropped the 4i and added in a 5W. Now I’m right around 10 yards between each club.

Like JonMA1 I carry a 4h and a 4i. I hit the 4i from the tee a decent amount, rarely the hybrid. Depending on which 4i I’m using I hit it with 5-10 yards further (Vapor Speed) or 20-25 yards further (Epic) than I do my FlyZ 4h.

I mainly have the 4h for punchouts and not great lies where I need to advance the ball as far as possible.

There are some times when absolutely nothing is working I can bunt the 4h 200 yards from the tee just to get something something into play, but that’s last and worst case scenario (see alt shot format at the THP Bridgestone Championship).

When my swing is working I rarely hit the hybrid but it’s a decent security blanket to have when it’s totally abandoned me. I can also go down into the rough and dig something out much better with it than a 4i, and punch out much easier too when needed.

I recently picked up the PING G410 4/22* with Alta Red S shaft and have hit some really good shots with it on the course right around 195 - 200 yds. If it's in the bag (which is usually), then the set 4 iron comes out. Next longest is my 5W at 210-215.

4 & 5 F9 hybrids with the baffler rails and the 19g weights.

Several years ago I carried a #1, 3, and 4 Mashie + hybrid. It was fun to have no fairway woods and just play the longer shots with hybrids instead.

being a new golfer, I was told hybrids are a gift to me...I am not finding that to be the case. if there's a long way to the green, i'm still hitting a 5i (since I don't have anything longer at the moment)...every time I pull the hybrid (or 3W) out on the FW or rough, it never really goes well...the 3W and Hy are the 2 clubs that I strike well but never on target. irons are a bit better in my case...not much...but better :/

I have a 19* hybrid and a 4 iron.

Probably will get a new hybrid to replace 3H. I have a huge gap in clubs from 200-235. I hit a 3w high and soft 235. Even when I smoke the Hybrid I only getting 195 max carry with it . I find myself 215 -220 to get to green front and can’t reliably get there and I certainly don’t want to be over

Several years ago I carried a #1, 3, and 4 Mashie + hybrid. It was fun to have no fairway woods and just play the longer shots with hybrids instead.

You’re a better man than me if you can hit a 1h. That’s one club I just couldn’t tame. Granted I only tried one old one I picked up for $20.00 on CPO but I had visions of a 30ft high wind cutting dart that carried 260 and ran out another 50 on a dry FW. I spent a very frustrating 50 shots or so on a sim with maybe 2 looking like I envisioned.

I could hit the 2 ok of the same line but not well enough to justify it being in my bag, nor the expenditure for a better one.

That club just had me totally confounded.

Back