Wall mount garage door opener

NullNomad

Golf Course Miscreant
Reaction score
Handicap
work
I've always had the good ol fashioned overhead chain driven garage door opener. It's been given me fits and I've seen the wall mount direct drives showing up in my searches. Anyone have any experiences with these?

That's about the only type in use back home in Australia and they just plain work. If I had to replace mine again, I'd be looking for that type. The bonus is there's no track over head, no chain or belt to break and if you have a roller door, absolutely nothing over your vehicles when the door is open.

The bonus you mention are the same I'm really starting to like. It also gives me lots of clearance if I want to put a net in the garage to swing a club. I have a 10 foot ceiling in the garage.

They are awesome. I wish we would have put one in last year. The best part is that if the garage door is in good shape it’s something a homeowner can tackle. the only tricky part is having an outlet within 6’ of the unit.

They are awesome. I wish we would have put one in last year. The best part is that if the garage door is in good shape it’s something a homeowner can tackle. the only tricky part is having an outlet within 6’ of the unit.

Yea looks super simple to install compared to the overheads I've done in the past and thankfully I do have an outlet within 6'.

Yea looks super simple to install compared to the overheads I've done in the past and thankfully I do have an outlet within 6'.
Then definitely go for it. As longs as you align the shaft with the opener you will have zero issues.

I put one in for the golf sim in the garage. Works great. No issues.

47360c90eeaeb2b50706d45ba8861902.jpg

Liftmaster 8500

Liftmaster 8500

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been looking at the Liftmaster 8500W and the Chamberlain RJO70. I know the same company makes both, so for me its coming down to availability locally and cost.

This is high on my list of upgrades wanted for our home. I won't be changing out just yet, as my current opener is only 4 years old now. When that one gives up the ghost, definitely going this route.

very cool. I would need 4 though, and at $500 a pop, yowza!

Changed out my old spring and chain openers about 6-7 months ago to the wall mounted Liftmaster and love them. I love having the openers out of the way and also not having those darn springs overhead.

I installed a new garage door, new springs and a Liftmaster 8500 wall mount opener over christmas 2018. had to add a 20 amp circuit and install an outlet near the opener and i added a 2nd GFI outlet on the same circuit near the electrical panel. GFI is a must for this opener. I had an electrician friend help me with the actual hook up but I climbed into the attic and ran the wiring.

Once everything was installed, there was a month long period of fine tuning/adjustment. The stop limits had to be reprogrammed several times. The shaft collar bolts were loosening and had to be readjusted and tightened several times. Its been solid with no issues (knocks on wood) for over a year now.

I especially like the app were I can open and close the door from anywhere, I can also set alerts for when Im not home of the door is open or stays open for a certain amount of time.

Installing this on the wall allowed me to install a ladder rack on my garage ceiling and hang some extension cord reels from there to create a small workshop.

Can't speak to those, but if your bedroom is over the garage - think about how loud they can be. We have belt drive - which are much quieter (overall). Me, I'm deaf - so it does not matter but my wife - she matters.

Can't speak to those, but if your bedroom is over the garage - think about how loud they can be. We have belt drive - which are much quieter (overall). Me, I'm deaf - so it does not matter but my wife - she matters.

The Liftmaster wall mount is super quiet! The only thing I can hear is the door moving

The electric deadbolt is nice but it has a high failure rate. I got about 2.5 years before mine failed last month. Luckily, Liftmaster sent me a replacement free under warranty. I repaired the old one to use as an emergency spare.

I wanted to update my door opener so started to check my current garage to see if the wall mount would work. Apparently I don't have enough space on either side of the wall where the openers would mount to put one there. I may just have a garage door company out to verify though.

From the perspective of a homeowner who has used an overhead chain drive garage door opener for years, I'm thinking of switching to a wall mount direct drive opener. I have always had trouble with the chain not being taut enough, and the door would fall down on its own. I've seen the wall mount direct drives showing up in my searches. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I've talked to the experts from advantagegd.com to help me with this idea, and they told me that it won't be expensive and it's easy to do.

Last edited:
If noise is the issue I’m told belt drive is very quiet. That’s what we had and it was indeed quiet. 12+years never needed service.

old house was direct drive, quieter than chain

both were ceiling mounted.

ha, looked back at the thread, i said the same basic thing a year ago:)

From the perspective of a homeowner who has used an overhead chain drive garage door opener for years, I'm thinking of switching to a wall mount direct drive opener.

Residential options are limited. The Liftmaster seems to be the best. The only issues I had with mine (had for about 2 years before we sold the home and moved) were the shaft collar/coupling would get loose and spin causing the door to not open or close all the way. Had to check and tighten for the first few months. Also, the automatic door lock broke after about a year and had to be replaced. Liftmaster sent one out under warranty and it was an easy replacement.

@Nicegy525 I haven't looked through the entire thread but are they actually quieter than a belt drive ceiling mounted? I need a new one and with my boys rooms being above our garage and me leaving for work at 6am, it is a problem.

@Nicegy525 I haven't looked through the entire thread but are they actually quieter than a belt drive ceiling mounted? I need a new one and with my boys rooms being above our garage and me leaving for work at 6am, it is a problem.

The only noise I heard from inside the house was the movement of the garage door rollers in the tracks. I didnt have a room above the garage but you could not hear anything from inside the house.

Belt drives are also very quiet. I would probably put them on about the same level of noise. Wall mount gives you more ceiling space though.

Looking at these as well. It will likely be the Genie brand. No external cable tensioner. I understand they are made in USA. Hope that's true

Back