Patrick Reed and 2 stroke penalty

donny475

I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Patrick Reed gets a 2 stroke penalty for improving his lie in the waste area. Apparently he grounded his club behind the ball, which is legal in a waste area. But he moved sand back and away not once, but twice during his practice swing. Said he was not improving his lie.....to me it would improve his ability to get to the back of the ball. ut he says it was all the angle and looks worse than it was......Patrick Reed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Imma tell my kids this was Patrick Reed... <a href="https://t.co/SZOtI8E4vZ">pic.twitter.com/SZOtI8E4vZ</a></p>&mdash; Eric Peyton (@ericpeytongolf) <a href="">December 7, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Patrick Reed gets a 2 stroke penalty for improving his lie in the waste area. Apparently he grounded his club behind the ball, which is legal in a waste area. But he moved sand back and away not once, but twice during his practice swing. Said he was not improving his lie.....to me it would improve his ability to get to the back of the ball. ut he says it was all the angle and looks worse than it was......Patrick Reed.

I remember the when Stewart Cink (on a playoff hole against Ted Purdy) used his finger to dig a trench behind his lie in a waste bunker at Harbour Town, and that was followed by a PGA Tour Offiical Slugger White cover up. It was a low point of PGA Tour history.

100% intentional. I’ve never seen any player take a practice swing by having the club start directly behind the ball. Reed makes it pretty easy to dislike him.

100% intentional. I’ve never seen any player take a practice swing by having the club start directly behind the ball. Reed makes it pretty easy to dislike him.

Did Reed think nobody was going to say anything about this cheating ?

Wasn't he leading going into day 3? Why would he intentionally cheat knowing there would be TV cameras following his every move the whole round?
I don't think he intentionally cheated. It's more so being in a waste bunker being allowed to ground his club behind the ball and him not thinking taking a practice swing and moving sand if he saw it or not was a problem.
I have been in the same situation in a waste bunker and probably moved sand in a practice type swing. The only problem was I didn't have TV cameras following me and all the sheep didn't think I was a dick for "cheating".

Obviously, he's the only one who knows for sure. But I think he did it on purpose. I bet at least some of his former college teammates do too.

You swipe sand away from your ball twice when you are in a waste bunked on accident??? That wasn’t just a few grains of sand, it was clearing out a lane. Knowing the basic rules of golf, even a hack like me is being careful in this situation. I don’t buy it that it was an accident. I don’t like or dislike him really but I can not for one second believe that was unintentional.

Shame he did not use Elon Musk's lawyer to argue his case, he would have the lead after three days.

I’m not sure I understand the rules of a waste bunker. I have not ever played a course that has them. Is it not treated as any other lie on the golf course since it is not technically a bunker? If that’s correct ( I am not sure at all) then why would moving loose sand ( loose impediments) be any different that removing a pine cone that is behind your ball? Confusing for sure but I do agree he should have known the rules what ever they really are!!

Obviously, he's the only one who knows for sure. But I think he did it on purpose. I bet at least some of his former college teammates do too.
When you're Patrick Reed you don't get the benefit of the doubt. He has to know that.

I was not a Patrick Reed hater nor did I care about any of the stuff he'd done in the past, but this to me was an obvious cheat.

It's a shame. The guy has enough talent to win on the tour without doing this stuff.

8971d07274b0a2e1a83b4013d64efafa.jpg

I have no idea if the rules are different in a waste bunker but that was total cheating in my mind. There's no way that was done accidently, TWICE!

Haters gonna hate....Meantime the dude has clubs with his name on em....
Or, it has nothing to do with either of those two things. I don't hate my playing partner, in fact he's a good friend. And he doesn't have his name on his bag. But when he fluffs his lie he's cheating. Which is only ok when we're not competing.

Yea zero chance he didn’t know what he was doing 100%. How this wasn’t a 4 stroke penalty for doing it twice I’m not sure.

Or, it has nothing to do with either of those two things. I don't hate my playing partner, in fact he's a good friend. And he doesn't have his name on his bag. But when he fluffs his lie he's cheating. Which is only ok when we're not competing.
After he "fluffed his lie" the lie was still horrible. He did it twice....Would one imagine he was so conniving to try twice...or was he of the mind frame that I'm in a waste bunker and I can ground my club....
I'm going with he made a stupid mistake and continued on.

After he "fluffed his lie" the lie was still horrible. He did it twice....Would one imagine he was so conniving to try twice...or was he of the mind frame that I'm in a waste bunker and I can ground my club....
I'm going with he made a stupid mistake and continued on.

That's a reasonable opinion... he's the only one who knows.

But if Tiger or Lexi or anyone - regardless of their popularity - had done the same thing, my opinion would be the same. Got nothing to do with being a hater.

There’s no doubt what he was doing there, what a moronic piece of ****.

Waste bunkers are not maintained the same way a sand trap is done. Grounding of the club is allowed but sand is not considered a loose impediment that can be moved. That is the difference between what Reed did and the ruling Cink got. In Cink's case that waste bunker was filled with crushed shells or something which the rules official determined to be loose impediments. Having ruled that way, Cink was allowed to move them as bad as the optics were.

Waste bunkers are not maintained the same way a sand trap is done. Grounding of the club is allowed but sand is not considered a loose impediment that can be moved. That is the difference between what Reed did and the ruling Cink got. In Cink's case that waste bunker was filled with crushed shells or something which the rules official determined to be loose impediments. Having ruled that way, Cink was allowed to move them as bad as the optics were.

Cink used his finger tip to dig a trench under the ball and improve his lie. At the tee box Cink had asked White about waste bunker Rules. however White beglected to do his job and accompany Cink to the ball. This is the reason White later covered up the Rules violation. Following that debacle, the PGA Tour should have fired Slugger White. But they retained him and (in a bit of irony), White is now the guy assessing Patrick Reed a 2 stroke penalty.

Back